All-time BE Basketball team | Syracusefan.com

All-time BE Basketball team

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Thought this would engender some discussion. Something called CBB Review named their Big East all-time team. 5 starters, 5 bench players, a head coach and 3 assistant coaches. Syracuse had 2 of the 5 starters (3 players in total and one coach). IMO, there was one bench player that was such a stretch as to be laughable.

What say you?

Thought this would engender some discussion. Something called CBB Review named their Big East all-time team. 5 starters, 5 bench players, a head coach and 3 assistant coaches. Syracuse had 2 of the 5 starters (3 players in total and one coach). IMO, there was one bench player that was such a stretch as to be laughable.

What say you?

No need to disrespect Iverson that way.

Angel Delgado? There has to be someone on a 2000’s Pitt or UConn team or one if the Nova championship teams that would be better.

Angel Delgado? There has to be someone on a 2000’s Pitt or UConn team or one if the Nova championship teams that would be better.

Along with about 50 other guys, minimum.

Seikaly, Etan, Christmas, Mourning, Mutumbo, Hibbert, Monroe...and that’s just the obvious guys that popped to mind from 2 schools. There’s others from both schools that also might be better.

Last edited:
pitt's

Seikaly, Etan, Christmas, Mourning, Mutumbo, Hibbert, Monroe...and that’s just the obvious guys that popped to mind from 2 schools. There’s others from both schools that also might be better.
pitt's charles smith: 4x all big east, big east roy, big east poy, #3 overall pick

pitt's
pitt's charles smith: 4x all big east, big east roy, big east poy, #3 overall pick

Easily.

Bill Curley, Danya Abrams, Craig Smith, Brian Grant Mike Sweetney, DaJuan Blair, Troy Murphy...

There’s been a lot of guys. There’s no reason to talk about some damn Angel Delgado when talking about the elite of the elite. There’s an Angel Delgado every year.

Even someone like Hasheem Thabeet should be one this list three times before Delgado's name was even mentioned. I know he was a complete bust in the NBA but that guy was an absolute beast in college and the #2 overall pick.

Man, Billy Owens is criminally underrated on a lot of these all time teams that come out

I think he gets overlooked because Melo and DC get the love for SU forwards.

Billy is certainly one of the best players to play in the Big East too though.

I wouldn't put Melo or any other one and done on the list. Too many guys who were too good over multiple years, including many guys who were all first team multiple years, including 7 guys who were first team all Big East three years and 3 players who were 2x BE player of the year (Rip Hamilton, Troy Bell & Troy Murphy) and not named at all. I would think an All Big East list is about what you did while competing in the Big East, not how successful you were thereafter.

Bill Curley (2x)
Craig Smith (2x)
Danya Abrams (3x)
John Bagley (2x)
Troy Bell (3x)
Corny Thompson (2x)
Donyell Marshall (2x)
Emeka Okafor (2x)
Rip Hamilton (2x)
Alonzo Mourning (2x)
Sleepy Floyd (2x)
Mike Sweetney (2x)
Reggie Williams (2x)
Roy Hibbert (2x)
Tim James (2x)
Luke Harangody (3x)
Pat Garrity (2x)
Troy Murphy (2x)
Aaron Gray (2x)
Brian Shorter (2x)
Charles Smith (2x)
Sam Young (2x)
Ryan Gomes (2x)
Terry Dehere (3x)
Malik Sealy (2x)
Mark Jackson (2x)
Marcus Hatten (2x)
Billy Owens (2x)
Gerry Mac (2x)
Hakim Warrick (2x)
John Wallace (2x)
Lawrence Moten (3x)
Preston Shumpert (2x)
Sherman Douglas (3x)
Ed Pickney (2x)
John Pinone (3x)

Last edited:

Putting Christmas in that group is a little overrating him,Delgado went 15/13 as a junior and led them to the tourney, so I would ave no problem putting him above Christmas, even if they are not that far apart.

That being said there are probably more than 50 better candidates than Delgado.

IMO, the person who belongs in that spot is Emeka Okafor.

Last edited:
Putting Christmas in that group is a little overrating him,Delgado went 15/13 as a junior and led them to the tourney, so I would ave no problem putting him above Christmas, even if they are not that far apart.

That being said there are probably more than 50 better candidates than Delgado.

IMO, the person who belongs in that spot is Emeka Okafor.

Would have to also consider that Christmas's one great year was in the ACC.

Would have to also consider that Christmas's one great year was in the ACC.

True, didn’t think of that. Yeah, I probably overrated Christmas there. He’s no Seikaly, Mourning, etc.

Hakim Warrick too. 2000 point scorer, won a title, 1st team All American. Great player.

sherman is getting overlooked among guards, too. all time conference leader in both assists and assists per game; top 25 in total points.
3x all big east,
big east tournament mvp.
he should be in over iverson's 2 seasons at georgetown because nba play is irrelevant

we all love pearl, but in my opinion, sherm should be in over him, too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom