All you need to know about the state of CBB from 100 coaches. | Syracusefan.com

All you need to know about the state of CBB from 100 coaches.

Bummer. Maybe if they hadn't directly assisted with the professionalization of the sport there wouldn't be so many problems. Pretty soon they might not get multi-million dollar contracts to coach some high school kids through a season or two of college basketball and they could do something better with their time.

I would argue that men's basktetball and football have been the minor leagues for NBA and NFL since the early 1980s. The only thing that's changed is that players have started to be compensated for the value they add, whereas previously this money was kept by coaches, schools, and media.

I would argue that men's basktetball and football have been the minor leagues for NBA and NFL since the early 1980s. The only thing that's changed is that players have started to be compensated for the value they add, whereas previously this money was kept by coaches, schools, and media.
They've always been the minor leagues for the NFL and pro basketball. Baseball, soccer, and hockey are pretty much the only team sports that have a system for players who don't go to college to make the top level of the pros. And for them, college teams have recently become a viable minor league. Before, you had what seemed like one or two college players make the big time each year in hockey and baseball, while now a major number of the signees each year played in college. Baseball came to realize how good college is as a cost-free minor league by setting the draft rule that makes most players stay in college for 3 years.

the whole system is twisted around though...which creates issues.

In europe sports and schools are not connected at all basically...and they dominate in many sports, including the world's most popular, soccer.

I think eventually they should just not have sports and school under the same umbrella...which, as a NCAABB fan, is not something I really wanna see, either.

this whole NIL thing doesnt really seem sustainable either IMO...i dont see how they can pretend theres any type of fairness to competition when some schools are just pouring money into the sports and some arent...

in the end, IMO, they should just stop requiring athelets at these schools even go to school...leave it as an option if they want...but the schools themselves should set up a branded pro league...and stop all the charades and facades.

the whole system is twisted around though...which creates issues.

In europe sports and schools are not connected at all basically...and they dominate in many sports, including the world's most popular, soccer.

I think eventually they should just not have sports and school under the same umbrella...which, as a NCAABB fan, is not something I really wanna see, either.

this whole NIL thing doesnt really seem sustainable either IMO...i dont see how they can pretend theres any type of fairness to competition when some schools are just pouring money into the sports and some arent...

in the end, IMO, they should just stop requiring athelets at these schools even go to school...leave it as an option if they want...but the schools themselves should set up a branded pro league...and stop all the charades and facades.
Also, the schools do not put money into NIL.

through proxies they do imo...the boosters etc might as well be the schools imo

Boosters can’t either.

Boosters can’t either.

And yet the legal definition of boosters is around providing "benefits". Thus legal contracts with exchange of service or goods facilitated by a third party could easily sidestep this issue could it not? Furthermore, in the recruiting game if there are multiple collectives, that are favorable to a particular program then it becomes nearly impossible to really prevent the recruiting piece of this unless you have direct payment from the university to the collective creating a financial trail. Guilty by association such as a collective having a name or university away seems tough to be enough legally to pursue penalties.

Boosters can’t either.
Your thinking on the NIL and current state of NCAA athletics is at odds with with everything that is currently happening. I tend to think that the 99.99% of people associated with college revenue sports, including boosters, reporters, atheletic directors, coaches, chancellors, presidents, players, recruits, etc know exactly what they're doing and where the line is. Play the game or get left behind.

But continue shouting at the hurricane.

Your thinking on the NIL and current state of NCAA athletics is at odds with with everything that is currently happening. I tend to think that the 99.99% of people associated with college revenue sports, including boosters, reporters, atheletic directors, coaches, chancellors, presidents, players, recruits, etc know exactly what they're doing and where the line is. Play the game or get left behind.

But continue shouting at the hurricane.

I’m not at odds with anything. SU is not going to cheat. And which game are you talking about? We have collectives taking care of current student athletes. That’s how it’s done. A good explanation is in that article attached to the Girard post a week ago.

They've always been the minor leagues for the NFL and pro basketball. Baseball, soccer, and hockey are pretty much the only team sports that have a system for players who don't go to college to make the top level of the pros. And for them, college teams have recently become a viable minor league. Before, you had what seemed like one or two college players make the big time each year in hockey and baseball, while now a major number of the signees each year played in college. Baseball came to realize how good college is as a cost-free minor league by setting the draft rule that makes most players stay in college for 3 years.

Fair, I guess I should have stated that they became the extremely lucrative minor leagues starting in the 1980s, nearly generating as much wealth as the big leagues, for a select few, at least.

Fair, I guess I should have stated that they became the extremely lucrative minor leagues starting in the 1980s, nearly generating as much wealth as the big leagues, for a select few, at least.
And they only became lucrative because of two Supreme Court cases in 1984 brought by Oklahoma and Georgia that said control over TV rights belonged to the schools and took it away from the NCAA.

And they only became lucrative because of two Supreme Court cases in 1984 brought by Oklahoma and Georgia that said control over TV rights belonged to the schools and took it away from the NCAA.
Very interesting, that part I did not know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom