Allen/Wilson | Syracusefan.com

Allen/Wilson

anomander

Living Legend
We all know there can only be 1 qb. All the talk I see is about Allen, but it's not like Austin Wilson is coming in as some scrub. I'm sure he wouldn't have signed here if he didn't think he had a legit shot to play sometime in his career. Right now according to basically everyone his best shot would be if Allen won the starting job as a true fr, allowing Wilson to red-shirt. That would move Wilson's shot at the job to his red-shirt sr year. That's a long long road. With that said I don't see another position where Allen can play, is there a move possible if necessary for Wilson?

I agree and are somewhat chagrined that we seem to ignore Wilson. This kid can and will compete for the job and deserves a bit more love than we are giving him on this board. If it wan't for the Elite 11 deal, I doubt we we would be automatically assuming Allen will beat him out.

We all know there can only be 1 qb.
Highlander_Alternate_Movie_Poster.jpg

I watched a whole game that Allen played not a highlight tape. I was amazed at how accurate he was and how great his decision making was. He was also very good when the pocket broke down. You never know for sure but he looks like NFL talent to me. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about him. He just seems to have the talent and intangibles that you just can't teach

Trent Dilfer also named him the biggest sleeper out of the Elite 11 group. With the talent in that group that is a huge compliment coming from someone who played the position at that level. Does anyone happen to remember his final ranking at the camp?

I think it was around 17.
77th...just ask Scout.

EDIT: I just checked the almighty Scout database...they've dropped ZA to 78th best QB. Too funny.

I agree and are somewhat chagrined that we seem to ignore Wilson. This kid can and will compete for the job and deserves a bit more love than we are giving him on this board. If it wan't for the Elite 11 deal, I doubt we we would be automatically assuming Allen will beat him out.

Disagree... yes the Elite 11 influenced many opinions, but it's the fact that he was so successful playing in a high level of Texas HS football. Huge difference.

Disagree... yes the Elite 11 influenced many opinions, but it's the fact that he was so successful playing in a high level of Texas HS football. Huge difference.
I hear what you are saying but other than Dilfer, he has not gotten any ratings higher than 3 stars - same as Wilson. Don't get me wrong I am very excited about Allen but just as excited about Wilson.

They are same height but Wilson is 20 pounds heavier. Allen is quite a bit faster and according to my wife who has named Allen "Gorgeous", the much better looking. (I told her that didn't do Charlie Loeb much good!).
Looking forward to next year.

I hear what you are saying but other than Dilfer, he has not gotten any ratings higher than 3 stars - same as Wilson.

To hell with the stars, if he committed elsewhere, he would be 4 stars. Too much politics involved in the "star system". Syracuse does not have a big subscriber base on either Rivals or Scout. That influences things.

I hear what you are saying but other than Dilfer, he has not gotten any ratings higher than 3 stars - same as Wilson. Don't get me wrong I am very excited about Allen but just as excited about Wilson.

They are same height but Wilson is 20 pounds heavier. Allen is quite a bit faster and according to my wife who has named Allen "Gorgeous", the much better looking. (I told her that didn't do Charlie Loeb much good!).
Looking forward to next year.
Well, for what it is worth, Tony Romo is also on record saying he thinks Allen is the real deal.

To hell with the stars, if he committed elsewhere, he would be 4 stars. Too much politics involved in the "star system". Syracuse does not have a big subscriber base on either Rivals or Scout. That influences things.
I am not a fan of the star system either but what else is there? Tony Romo may or may not have an eye for talent and I doubt he spends any time at it but I would much rather hear him say positive things that is for sure. I am just saying that there is not a lot to go on here. I trust the staff's judgment but they also recruited Wilson. Just saying.

I am not a fan of the star system either but what else is there? Tony Romo may or may not have an eye for talent and I doubt he spends any time at it but I would much rather hear him say positive things that is for sure. I am just saying that there is not a lot to go on here. I trust the staff's judgment but they also recruited Wilson. Just saying.
what else is there? watching game tape. looking at the level of competition. looking at statistics.

what else is there? watching game tape. looking at the level of competition. looking at statistics.
So you are saying that you are better at watching tapes that only show positive plays and evaluating stats that are without comparable context than others?

So you are saying that you are better at watching tapes that only show positive plays and evaluating stats that are without comparable context than others?
You realize full games of Allen are available online, right?

Yes. And so do all those that contribute to ratings.

So how does that equate to watching tapes that only show positive plays?

I was referring to highlight tapes which are moer heavily viewed. My point is that most on this board do not have the skills to look at game tape and be able to make reliable analysis.

Fair enough. Frankly, I also question most recruiting "experts" on their ability to make those same judgments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom