Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out | Syracusefan.com

Alma Mater / Dino Has His Work Cut Out

BVille44

All Conference
Well I have sat above the entrance into the locker room for the past 28 years and always stay for the alma mater after the game win or lose. Tonight was a first me.

As the alma mater was being played all of the players kept walking into the locker room and looked like they did not give a crap except for Devito, Riley, Coleman, and 5 others who stayed on the field while the band played.

After the band completed the alma mater I watched Dino walk over the band director. Dino then went down into the locker room and with minutes out came every player on the team. Dino gave the thumbs up to the band director and the alma mater was played again with the entire team present.

After the alma mater was complete the team started towards the locker room yet again and Dino pointed towards th per middle of the field. Every player was then was told to take a knee on the “S” at the fifty yard line while Dino spoke. Boy would I have liked to have heard what he had to say for the 5+ minutes they were out there.

I am concerned that Dino is starting to lose some of these players since they obviously had zero respect for his tradition/rule of staying on the field for the alma mater. I hope he can right the ship with wins over Western Michigan and Holy Cross before things get ugly in the locker room.

Well I have sat above the entrance into the locker room for the past 28 years and always stay for the alma mater after the game win or lose. Tonight was a first me.

As the alma mater was being played all of the players kept walking into the locker room and looked like they did not give a crap except for Devito, Riley, Coleman, and 5 others who stayed on the field while the band played.

After the band completed the alma mater I watched Dino walk over the band director. Dino then went down into the locker room and with minutes out came every player on the team. Dino gave the thumbs up to the band director and the alma mater was played again with the entire team present.

After the alma mater was complete the team started towards the locker room yet again and Dino pointed towards th per middle of the field. Every player was then was told to take a knee on the “S” at the fifty yard line while Dino spoke. Boy would I have liked to have heard what he had to say for the 5+ minutes they were out there.

I am concerned that Dino is starting to lose some of these players since they obviously had zero respect for his tradition/rule of staying on the field for the alma mater. I hope he can right the ship with wins over Western Michigan and Holy Cross before things get ugly in the locker room.

I think this is more telling than we all expect.

We don’t have the senior leadership on this year’s team. If only Zaire could come back for one year.

Maybe this will be a turning point with Dino bringing them back out for the alma mater and asking the band to replay it. Then, taking them out to the "S." Good for Dino. It's things like this why I like him and believe in him.

This is a critical juncture. Second week in a row they got their ass kicked in the box score and multiple mistakes made which would have made this a tighter game. I don't see him losing the team, but you can't let a couple bad apples spoil the bunch.

We were just beat by the best team in College Football.
Dino was telling them how hard they played and how much they improved, not an ass chewing. He is not losing the team, they were tired.

I have no problem at all with HCDFB “enlightening “ our disconnected “it’s all about me selfie culture “ young men about life, handling adversity, taking pride and the concept of team. Might be time to recruit a few more team captains again from the high school ranks who have displayed leadership attributes. This speaks volumes. That said, every single one of us on this board had to learn things at the same age these young men are so they are no different. Live...Learn...Move forward!

Jesus... even highschool teams stay for their alma maters.

That's great Dino is trying to do right but very concerning if players truly have given up or quit already.
probably no team as there are no leaders. just a collection of frustrated individuals. our defense played well enough to keep us in the game if the offense had production. it will be interesting from here on out to see what happens. recruiting will be even more difficult if recruits see and read about this type of behavior.

I'm guessing that a lot of these kids never got whupped in back-to-back weeks like this when they were in HS.

They have to learn how to handle adversity.

Yep. Giving up 104 points in 2 games, one of which you were expected/expecting to win, and one of which you were expecting to be competitive in or possibly get the upset, will put a little piss in anyone's Cheerios.

This move by Dino shows the type of person he is and we are lucky to have him.

Reading between the lines this "talk" appears to be of the fatherly/loving type after adversity struck. Everyone has different touch/communication points and maybe the "fatherly" talk is what they needed.

Im confident this team has not quit and what we saw post game were frustrated young men which is certainly understandable. Dino will right the ship no doubt and we will make a bowl, we simply aren't a top 25 team we thought.

Last edited:

Complete overreaction. He did not lose the team at all. But definitely not because they forgot about the Alama Mater IN THE 1ST HOME GAME OF THE YEAR. Absolutely zero percent chance (I cant even believe i have to type this) that the players purposely said "screw the alma mater tonight. im going to the locker room"

It was definitely an accident and probably a coaches fault who wasnt there to direct traffic as usual.

Unpopular opinion warning--> I think its ridiculous that players are expected to stay for a song after they just got their butts handed to them. I also think its unnecessary.
Understandable but this is a show of unity despite outcomes. It means a lot to many people and is cool to see after the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom