Alternative "solution" to one and done "problem." | Syracusefan.com

Alternative "solution" to one and done "problem."

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
1st, let me say I don't believe in the age restrictions placed on athletes. Against it 100%. Everyone has a right to pursue their dream. They have no guarantee that they will succeed. However, there is a solution which helps the schools, the kids and the NBA.
The NBA should do the following:
For every semester that a draftee has successfully completed and been eligible by NCAA standards, (enough credits, on course to graduate, etc., ) the kid earns $100,000.00. If a kid comes in with a degree, he gets $1,000,000.00. This comes from the league, not the teams, so as not to impact draftability. This is non-refundable.
Therefore, a kid like Dion makes an extra $100,000.00 just finishing out the semester. (there could even be incentives to get degrees after you leave school, within say 5 years.

I've always liked the MLB rules. You can go pro right out of school. But if you go the NCAA route, you need to stay at least two (maybe it is three) years.

So if you were a business owner, you should pay a college money for schooling the student. I do not think the business (NBA) would like this idea.

If an NBA team drafts an Euro player, they can keep their rights for 3? years and let them develop.

How about allowing players to enter the draft and play in college, then go to the NBA team that drafted them after? What's so different about drafting an 19 year old Euro player or 19 year old American player? Same risks involved IMO

So if you were a business owner, you should pay a college money for schooling the student. I do not think the business (NBA) would like this idea.
No the kid gets the money. It's a bonus. The NBA has said its important to them that kids go to college. It helps the NBA. (more educated work force) helps schools and helps the kid by giving an incentive to stay and learn

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Always look for the unintended consequences...

I am an NBA owner. I have the last pick in the draft and I need a PG. There are 2 available ... an 18 yr old out of HS and a 22 yr old senior in college. I value both players equally... except I would have to pay the 22 yr old senior an extra $1,000,000 just by drafting him.

What do you think happens? How would this benefit the 22 yr old? What does the next 18 yr old PG decide when he sees the 18 yr old get drafted and the 22 yr old looking for work?

1st, let me say I don't believe in the age restrictions placed on athletes. Against it 100%. Everyone has a right to pursue their dream. They have no guarantee that they will succeed. However, there is a solution which helps the schools, the kids and the NBA.
The NBA should do the following:
For every semester that a draftee has successfully completed and been eligible by NCAA standards, (enough credits, on course to graduate, etc., ) the kid earns $100,000.00. If a kid comes in with a degree, he gets $1,000,000.00. This comes from the league, not the teams, so as not to impact draftability. This is non-refundable.
Therefore, a kid like Dion makes an extra $100,000.00 just finishing out the semester. (there could even be incentives to get degrees after you leave school, within say 5 years.
Why are you against age restrictions? This is essentially what all other industries do. They require a certain degree and/or amount of experience. That's all the NBA is doing with it's age rule except that it's actually less restrictive than a real job application process. How many employers are willing to offer multimillion dollar jobs to prospects with no credential or experience?

Always look for the unintended consequences...

I am an NBA owner. I have the last pick in the draft and I need a PG. There are 2 available ... an 18 yr old out of HS and a 22 yr old senior in college. I value both players equally... except I would have to pay the 22 yr old senior an extra $1,000,000 just by drafting him.

What do you think happens? How would this benefit the 22 yr old? What does the next 18 yr old PG decide when he sees the 18 yr old get drafted and the 22 yr old looking for work?
No. THE NBA pays it, not the individual teams.

Why are you against age restrictions? This is essentially what all other industries do. They require a certain degree and/or amount of experience. That's all the NBA is doing with it's age rule except that it's actually less restrictive than a real job application process. How many employers are willing to offer multimillion dollar jobs to prospects with no credential or experience?
Degree or experience is different than age. One can obtain either irrespective of age, to a degree. Also, employers may have requirements, but not industries, outside of certain sports that I am aware of. It different than required academic achievement for licensing, which is public welfare stuff.

The NBA has said its important to them that kids go to college.
they like it mostly because it serves as a free minor league . . . once they start paying millions of dollars for that service, it will lose it's appeal.

I just took a quick look at the 2011 draft. The underclassmen drafted in the two rounds add up to a total of 120 possible semesters - that would $12 million in bonuses. On top of that, 19 seniors were drafted - another $19 million. That is $31 million that the NBA would pay out. Their free development league is now costing them over a million dollars per team per year. The best way to cut down on that cost will be to let the marginal seniors go undrafted, and try to pick them up in the UFA market . . . and most of the seniors are marginal - 12 of the 19 were picked in the second round, and 18 of 19 went after the 20th pick in the draft. So, your scheme might work in the short term, but in the long term it would probably create a disincentive to graduate.

that said, I think you have the germ of an idea in your incentive-based drafting scheme, but it needs more detail to actually be workable.

Degree or experience is different than age. One can obtain either irrespective of age, to a degree. Also, employers may have requirements, but not industries, outside of certain sports that I am aware of. It different than required academic achievement for licensing, which is public welfare stuff.

Ok, if you'd like to split hairs, it wouldn't be hard for the NBA to say, "Three years (or two or whatever) experience required. Experience is defined as three years spent at an institution of higher learning or in an alternative professional league after graduation from highschool." And since they are the employer they can set whatever criteria they choose. When I said "industries" I meant that it's normal for companies in the same industry to have similar requirements, not that it was a rule. Some companies even specify that they require a bachelors degree, but the degree doesn't even have to be related to the job (I saw this where I used to work). The NBA could do the same if they thought it was best for their business (I'm not saying they should). By saying "age" they're actually making the criteria easier than most employers (which I pointed out in the previous post). The main point is, the NBA can define its hiring criteria just as any other company can.

just use the baseball rule - everyone who has graduated high school, never attended college, and never signed a professional contract is eligible.

if you don't get drafted - or if you do but don't like your position or your team and for whatever reason you don't sign a contract - then you retain your NCAA eligibility

but, once you enroll in college, you are not draft eligible again until after your junior year or your 21st birthday, whichever comes first.

just use the baseball rule - everyone who has graduate high school, never attended college, and never signed a professional contract is eligible.

if you don't get drafted - or if you do but don't like your position or your team and for whatever reason you don't sign a contract - then you retain your NCAA eligibility

but, once you enroll in college, you are not draft eligible again until after your junior year or your 21st birthday, whichever comes first.
I mentioned this in another thread. It makes the most sense to me.