Am I the only one - DT depth | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one - DT depth

I’ve heard they have tired fating up a bunch of players per this board :cool:

Not ideal, but not concerned. Good stable of horses in the barn. Plus you can scheme to only play one in certain situations.

Agreed. I'm concerned and wish we had another. An injury here is bad. no way 2 guys could hold up all year.

I’ve heard they have tired fating up a bunch of players per this board :cool:
They didn't try, that was happening on its own.

You know, due to our collective dedication to s&c.

I really would like to see a few solid DT recruits every year. If I recall, I do not think we have had the best success with getting defensive big uglies on the recruiting trail? Hopefully that will change. Such an important position.

I think it's more of a concern in 2020. We have a solid 3 man rotation with no discernable drop off. Grosvenor is a ready 4th and I think you'll see Curtis Harper get some reps this year. For 2020, short of a few of the younger guys on the roster (Okechukwu, Tuazama, Dawson, Rondi, Munoz) making some big gains in the weight room, I think we'll have to take a JUCO or two. I think we're ok for 2019, but sure, depth is less than ideal.

RF's post today is worth a look - it reviews the personnel available on both lines and concludes that DL depth issues, despite the angst, are not acute (concern warranted if there's an injury).

Last edited:
depth issues, despite the angst, are not acute (unless there's an injury).
Huh? That's what depth is, having someone to step in when there's an injury and play well.

A late addition JUCO would be great right now. Not sure if there are any suitable prospects available at this point.

Huh? That's what depth is, having someone to step in when there's an injury and play well.
I think RF explained it accurately --- yes it's all under the "depth" category. That doesn't mean it's anything to sweat over unless there's an injury. Let's not jinx it.

RF's post today is worth a look - it reviews the personnel available on both lines and concludes that DL depth issues, despite the angst, are not acute (unless there's an injury).

You're supposed to have good depth in case of an injury, not unless there's an injury.

My guess is that Babers/Staff don't see a fill in transfer that is available as being better than the freshmen they already have. Would I like more experienced depth...yes...but, with the new 4 game redshirt rule things may work out coverage wise if there are injuries at DT.

Any youngster who thinks they are ready may find out fast how much work they really have to put in to be able to compete at this level. Nothing like a couple of games of being knocked on your can to bring you back to reality and turning some of that flab into muscle will go a long way.

I think it's more of a concern in 2020. We have a solid 3 man rotation with no discernable drop off. Grosvenor is a ready 4th and I think you'll see Curtis Harper get some reps this year. For 2020, short of a few of the younger guys on the roster (Okechukwu, Tuazama, Dawson, Rondi, Munoz) making some big gains in the weight room, I think we'll have to take a JUCO or two. I think we're ok for 2019, but sure, depth is less than ideal.

Good assessment. Thank you.

No, you aren't the only one. But let's consider the following: to maintain a viable rotation, we need to have four DTs that can rotate without significant dropoff.

We have THREE -- and not just warm bodies, but three experienced, game tested, proven commodities who are all difference makers. That's a great starting point. We need at least one additional player to emerge. Harper is the most likely candidate, as a third year player. Don't know if SG will ever see the field, but maybe he can be the fifth guy. If not, there are several newcomers who might get into the mix.

I think it is likely that at least one player emerges from that group, and possibly more than one. And as mentioned by others above, the 4-game / not burning a redshirt situation will also help.

Being unproven is different than not having the chops. What seems like an issue now might not be if Harper, Grovs, Okechukwu, or one of the newbies is ready. I think it is far more likely that a player or two steps up than none of them do, and we're stuck with a three-player rotation the entire year.

I wish that the coaching staff had moved Elmore last year, and stuck with it. Would feel better if he was in the mix at DT.

Last edited:
I really would like to see a few solid DT recruits every year. If I recall, I do not think we have had the best success with getting defensive big uglies on the recruiting trail? Hopefully that will change. Such an important position.
No school gets "a few solid DT recruits" every year. The best DTs go to the selectors, and the others have red flags - too fat, not mobile enough, slow off the ball, lazy, etc. In the past we took risks on guys like Wayne Williams with multiple red flags.

Now we've also started recruiting high motor kids who need to grow into the position, but once they're ready should do well. Josh Black is a prime example. Ruff & Dawson are a few others. We'll get a true DT once in a while but it's probably the hardest position to find from HS.

I think RF explained it accurately --- yes it's all under the "depth" category. That doesn't mean it's anything to sweat over unless there's an injury. Let's not jinx it.
Saying we have enough depth unless there's injuries is like saying I have enough insurance on my house unless there's a fire.

Saying we have enough depth unless there's injuries is like saying I have enough insurance on my house unless there's a fire.
Or perhaps the question should be: if you have fire insurance sufficient to rebuild your house after a fire but the policy limits you to one major claim, are you still covered?

Last edited:
No, you aren't the only one. But let's consider the following: to maintain a viable rotation, we need to have four DTs that can rotate without significant dropoff.

We have THREE -- and not just warm bodies, but three experienced, game tested, proven commodities who are all difference makers. That's a great starting point. We need at least one additional player to emerge. Harper is the most likely candidate, as a third year player. Don't know if SG will ever see the field, but maybe he can be the fifth guy. If not, there are several newcomers who might get into the mix.

I think it is likely that at least one player emerges from that group, and possibly more than one. And as mentioned by others above, the 4-game / not burning a redshirt situation will also help.

Being unproven is different than not having the chops. What seems like an issue now might not be if Harper, Grovs, Okechukwu, or one of the newbies is ready. I think it is far more likely that a player or two steps up than none of them do, and we're stuck with a three-player rotation the entire year.

I wish that the coaching staff had moved Elmore last year, and stuck with it. Would feel better if he was in the mix at DT.
First, I think Elmore has proved his value as an elite blocking back. The coaches know where he can have the most impact — and him switching to being the 4th DT? Nope.

Second, the issue at DT (behind the top 3) is that we can list some names from the roster ( as you have done), but these candidates have not shown much potential to date. Harper and Grosvenor each have exactly 1 tackle to their names. What have you seen from them (Spring game, or otherwise) that gives you confidence in their ability to step in? How highly regarded were either when recruited? In contrast, Williams, Black and Ruff each showed something early in their SU careers - Ruff is 300 LBs with elite speed for a DT, Williams has strength and agility, Black has DE agility (playing as a true frosh) and has added size and strength.

Okechukwu or a newbie — maybe, but you are stretching a tad (likely ... might be).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom