An Amazing article on the Rutgers Athletic Program and $265 million in debt --worth not getting lost on page 442 of the dumpster fire thread | Syracusefan.com

An Amazing article on the Rutgers Athletic Program and $265 million in debt --worth not getting lost on page 442 of the dumpster fire thread

What a crazy world collegiate athletics has become. Rutgers really didn't have any choice but to be sucked into this high-stakes gamble with the Big Ten. I wonder how we would have fared in taking that path.

Calling loan proceeds from B1G as "income" is - Dear Misleader-level shady creative accounting. :rolleyes:

Seems like the kind of investigative piece that's going to cause major consequences in NJ. This part early in the article is mind blowing...

Rutgers was dead last among 52 public universities in the five richest conferences in donations to athletics for operations in 2019-20, based on data provided by USA TODAY Sports and Syracuse University’s S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications. Rutgers was next to last in ticket sales and 50th in generated revenue.

Meanwhile, athletics relied on more university support, including student fees, than any of the other schools. Each of the roughly 30,000 students at the New Brunswick campus pays nearly $400 in fees just for athletics.

It's fun to pile on Rutgers, but "unsustainable" seems like the operative word for many, many college athletic departments.

I still remember those financial wizards on the Rutgers R!vals forum claiming how all their financial woes would be solved when they got their full share of the B10 tv money...which I believe was supposed to be this year. Not even close. Sorta like how the game this Saturday will go when SU steamrolls them.

Seems like the kind of investigative piece that's going to cause major consequences in NJ. This part early in the article is mind blowing...

It's fun to pile on Rutgers, but "unsustainable" seems like the operative word for many, many college athletic departments.
Rutgers problem is it has no real brand. They are an Aldi’s level cereal. Cheap, Non descript and flavorless.

After reading this, I was going to say the same exact thing Scooch. Honestly, I'm a bit envious that even with all those financial issues they are continuing to pump money into their athletics department with a new football facility coming within the next 5 or so years. We need to get shovels in the ground for however we are going to spend the $25 million that was donated a few years back!!

I am pretty sure Cali wrote whole, long extended posts in the title when he was first on the board.

He was an innovator. Pretty sure Tom E had to add some edits specifically for him.
What I wouldn’t give for one more Cali post… If I could choose it would be a preseason recruiting/season prediction post as he would really dive into every one of the 25 recruits he loved and how they were going to change the program and most likely immediately and then he would transition into sentence after sentence beautifully without any punctuation or paragraph breaks all while making sure you knew exactly how bright his orange colored glasses were and no matter what year after year throughout the leanest of seasons he always carried that torch and was the eternal optimist Jeremiah Kobena Steve Rene Tyree Smallwood it didn’t matter they were all the next Reggie Bush and we were always headed to the big game man was Cali a board gem and man do I miss him. RIP bud.

You have to sell tickets.

After reading this, I was going to say the same exact thing Scooch. Honestly, I'm a bit envious that even with all those financial issues they are continuing to pump money into their athletics department with a new football facility coming within the next 5 or so years. We need to get shovels in the ground for however we are going to spend the $25 million that was donated a few years back!!
The $25 million is a very small portion of an expected new project. Hopefully, sooner than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom