An appropriate farewell for Kelly Seubert... | Syracusefan.com

An appropriate farewell for Kelly Seubert...

cto

Administrator
Kelly Seubert, the universally beloved assistant to Jim Boeheim, was laid to rest today, appropriately on a beautiful sunny day in Central New York.

The priest conducting the Mass said it was the largest crowd he had seen at a Funeral Mass in his 26 years of priesthood; the large Camillus church was packed, with people standing in the back.

Beautiful eulogies were given by Kelly's husband Steve, her brother Jim Cunningham, her niece Kelly Myers (speaking for all 15 of Kelly's nieces and nephews) and Syracuse Basketball Coach Jim Boeheim who, very emotionally, described what Kelly had meant to him, and to 13 years of Syracuse basketball. Not surprisingly, countless current and former SU staffers (coaches, student managers, etc) were there. To a person, everyone in the SU basketball office loved Kelly.

In a special touch, the priest announced that all who were there (not just Roman Catholics) were invited to take part in Communion. This was a first in my long history of attending Funeral Masses. For a non-Roman Catholic like me (and several others there) this was very special in giving us a feeling of inclusion.

On its way to the cemetery in DeWitt, the lengthy cortege took a route that passed both Kelly's home and Manley Field House/Melo Center where Kelly had worked. A moving touch.

At the church, at the cemetery and at a huge (both in terms of people and food) luncheon at the Seubert home, the sun shone brightly all day as people remembered one of the sunniest, sweetest, nicest, most competent people they had been blessed to know.

Last edited:
His eulogy WAS amazing, speaking "for Kelly" and saying what Kelly would have said to many of the people there. I sat next to him at the luncheon. Really nice and interesting guy.

Ham is a great guy. Was a really good hoop player in HS as well. He was VERY close to Kelly. His eulogy was something we all talked about at golf league last night (I think half of the Tuscarora members were there)

Kelly will be honored at the annual Basket Ball Gala to support the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation (at the Turning Stone on April 28). The invitation to the event describes her as the basketball program's "Heart and Soul." Which she most definitely was.

Last edited:
From the invitation.

Attachments

• D51C67C7-13AB-4338-BFA9-74C788E7A13B.jpeg
    D51C67C7-13AB-4338-BFA9-74C788E7A13B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
Kelly will be honored at the annual Basket Ball Gala to support the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation (at the Turning Stone on April 28). The invitation to the event describes her as the basketball program's "Heart and Soul." Which she most definitely was.
Some year I would really love to go to this event. Looking forward to the post that goes over the whole night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom