Class of 2017 - An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State

Winning solves attendance, yes. But winning with the best local kids also improves attendance numbers! I heard a sports commentator speak on the greatness of Shakka Smart Texas BBall coach. He said what makes him great is that he does not try to force players to fit into his system. Instead, he adjusts his system to the players he has and still is able to be successful. Current staff could learn a lot from this.

I don't believe its fair to say the current staff could learn a lot from Shaka being that the current staff hasn't even had an opportunity to show off what they put on the field. We weren't exactly winning with the best local kids (that would come to SU) since Don McPherson and Tim Green, to my knowledge. Please correct me if i'm wrong. The Kobenas and Kinders and Renes and Palmers and Morgans and Broylds arent exactly world beaters.

Winning solves attendance, yes. But winning with the best local kids also improves attendance numbers! I heard a sports commentator speak on the greatness of Shakka Smart Texas BBall coach. He said what makes him great is that he does not try to force players to fit into his system. Instead, he adjusts his system to the players he has and still is able to be successful. Current staff could learn a lot from this.
Shaka is also recruiting 3-4 kids a year. It's a lot easier to adjust your system in basketball.

It's also not true because he does what JB does and recruits kids that fit his system, and is making due with what he has at Texas until all the kids in the program are his. That's why Texas hasn't been very good the past few seasons. Smart wouldn't recruit a kid that didn't fit his system to appease a HS coach.

EDIT: Babers also said he's going to work with what SU has until he has his foundation in place here. So I guess the current staff doesn't have to learn from that.

Slight correction...5'8" 170 lbs, 4.46 40, full ride to Eastern Kentucky D1 AA but very competitive division. Come on Moe Neal is 5'8" 161 lbs and runs 4.5+ 40. This kid left NY to play in Florida. I started to send my son to live with relatives as well but decided not to...probably should have...Check out the Hudl on Mike Scott who moved from Rochester to Orlando, FL, my home town. These are NY guys that SU overlooks!

So an example of a NY guy that SU overlooked is a guy who ended up (after moving to Florida to raise his profile) at Eastern Kentucky??

...the new OC & RB Coach for UTEP who stated that, although they felt he was a better RB, they are committed to student-athletes from Texas...
UTEP's in-state tuition and fees are $7,058, while out-of-state tuition and fees are $18,759. Could there also be budgetary restraints on their rosters/recruiting classes? Although they are in a football crazy state, I doubt UTEP can throw around money like the P5 schools. An extra $10 grand per out of state player can add up with an 85-player roster.

[NOTE: I assume public schools have to account for variable tuition rates in their scholarships - can anyone confirm?]

So an example of a NY guy that SU overlooked is a guy who ended up (after moving to Florida to raise his profile) at Eastern Kentucky??
He only had one year but his talent is obvious. Although D1 A conference are supposed to be the most competitive of all, there are a number of D1 AA teams that beat D1 A teams every year in cross over games. This kids body of work is exceptional, in a short period of time. Against top HS competition. Kid should have been on SU's radar early in his HS career, that's all I'm saying. I just hope the staff make serious effort to build in-roads for the top NY recruits from the 2017, 18, and 19 class. Before going to Notre Dame, BC, or Penn State, OD, etc. SU should be the first option. SU has to do a better job at appealing to these players. In the larger scheme of things, SU is not considered the place to be for these young studs. Prime example, a player that I coached from the age of 5 or 6, Demetrius Breedlove, now 6'3", 265 lb TE at McQuaid Jesuit HS. SU offered him a full ride last year (Jr season) and he turned it down. After visiting SU, kid stated that he had no desire to attend the school. This BLEW ME AWAY! I tried to talk sense into him but he had his mind made up! This kid settled for Lafayette. Go figure.

UTEP's in-state tuition and fees are $7,058, while out-of-state tuition and fees are $18,759. Could there also be budgetary restraints on their rosters/recruiting classes? Although they are in a football crazy state, I doubt UTEP can throw around money like the P5 schools. An extra $10 grand per out of state player can add up with an 85-player roster.

[NOTE: I assume public schools have to account for variable tuition rates in their scholarships - can anyone confirm?]
They do have some out of state players. Picked up FB from Buffalo Canisius last year (2015). They filled 17 slots for the 2016 class. Head coach is from Upstate New York (Lockport). They had the budget. Was simply a decision of the new OC. Similar to T. Riggins. Same thing happened with BC. Coached who offered moved on and new coach withdrew the offer. High turnover rate with college coaches leads to an unstable recruiting process. Very unfair to players, but it is what it is I guess.

Shaka is also recruiting 3-4 kids a year. It's a lot easier to adjust your system in basketball.

It's also not true because he does what JB does and recruits kids that fit his system, and is making due with what he has at Texas until all the kids in the program are his. That's why Texas hasn't been very good the past few seasons. Smart wouldn't recruit a kid that didn't fit his system to appease a HS coach.

EDIT: Babers also said he's going to work with what SU has until he has his foundation in place here. So I guess the current staff doesn't have to learn from that.
I hope not but it remains to be seen. Let's be clear, my loyalty is to the institution and NY youth, not the coaches that come and go. HS coaches do a great job of adjusting their system every year because they don't have the luxury of recruiting. It's not about appeasing HS coaches but establishing a pipeline that would ensure that the best players in the state stay in-state. I, and others, have taken some of the best talent in this area up and down the East coast over the years to compete at football and basketball. We have always been extremely competitive and also won National Championships. None of these players are ever followed by SU at and early age and recruited in HS like the southern states do. I can tell you first hand, the talent level is equal and at times better with our best guys. Quinton Rose, another kid that played on my AAU basketball team from 6th to 10 grade. An explosive and extremely talented 6'5" SR point guard at Bishop Kearney HS got NO offer from SU. Excellent ball handler, good passes, explosive dunks, high IQ and good 3 point shooter. Perfect, in my staunch opinion, for SU system. Will be playing at Temple next year. Jim Boeheim knows about this kid. For 4 years in a row we played against his son's team and beat them 3 out of 4 tournaments. This kid was a stand out each time! Hope SU picks him up before its too late, but I doubt it. I would love to see him in a SU uniform!

I don't believe its fair to say the current staff could learn a lot from Shaka being that the current staff hasn't even had an opportunity to show off what they put on the field. We weren't exactly winning with the best local kids (that would come to SU) since Don McPherson and Tim Green, to my knowledge. Please correct me if i'm wrong. The Kobenas and Kinders and Renes and Palmers and Morgans and Broylds arent exactly world beaters.
Just wishful thinking...I wish them well for SU's sake! But I'm still skeptical.

He had 1 rush for -1 yard and 6 catches in his first season in the Ohio Valley Conference... come on, this kid couldn't play in the ACC. And the EKU website has him at 5-7, 170.. so I'm gonna assume he's closer to 5-6, not 5-8.
Mike Scott first season at EKU

AS A FRESHMAN IN 2015
Played in five games as a true freshman … started as a slot receiver against Austin Peay (Sept. 26) … had six receptions for 48 yards in his first season … had a season-high 29 yards on two catches in the season-opener against Valparaiso (Sept. 3) … returned a kickoff 21 yards against Austin Peay. EKU runs spread offense always shuffling ball around a lot of athletes. He'll be a great asset in next few seasons.

Moe Neal is not 5'8 lol I'm 6' even and I spent a whole half chillen with his family (who are super cool btw) and I had 2" on him. He's is 5'10-5'10.5.

The towel his mom gave me bc I showed up too late to get my own
View attachment 55607
LOL. Nice shirt! Hey guys, I'm just loyal to NY kids. We'll be fine. Let's just get to them early so they have SU on their radar! This has been a real great time talking with the forum. You guys are all great people!

Josh Mack - if I remember, you said you graduated from UNO. Never thought I'd see another Privateer alum on Syracuse message board.

Here is the same info just copied and pasted. It won't look as good but clearly people are having trouble reading the list, so this is probably a better approach. I also added CJ Turner, who clearly belongs on it.

Top Prospects in NYS for 2017

This list is actually ordered by region. I added links to video for some of my favorite prospects. Will add more as time permits.

Name Pos Year High School Height Weight Comments
Jack Owens LB 2017 Aquinas Institute 6'4 210 3rd team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Ta'Von Granison DB 2017 Greece Athena 6'0 185 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Earl English LB 2017 Wilson (Rochester) 6'0 210 5th team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Anthony Finucane OL 2017 Greece Arcadia 6'2 310 4th team All NYS class A offense as a junior
CJ Turner ATH 2017 Eastridge 5'8 165 Extremely fast and explosive
Kyle Schreiner OL 2017 Fairport 6'5 305 Very strong, needs to improve physical conditioning
Stephan Parker WR 2017 Cheektowaga 6'3 185 1st team All Western NY, 1st team NYS all state class B offense as a junior
Jeremy Bush DL 2017 Jamestown 6'1 270 1st team All Western NY as a junior
Isaiah McDuffie LB 2017 Bennett 6'1 200 1st team All Western NY, 1st team NYS all state defense class C as a junior
Blake Haubeil P/K 2017 Canisius 6'3 210 1st team All Western NY, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a junior
Mason Hoose LB 2017 Canisius 6'0 200 Fourth team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Connor Kelly LB 2017 Williamsville-North 6'3 210 3rd team All NYS class A defense as a junior, 4.75 40, good blitzer, quick, excellent tackler
Tyler White DL 2017 Kenmore West 6'3 202 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Mason Hoose LB 2017 Canisius 6'1 220 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Jamel Lofton LB 2017 Lackawanna 6'2 190 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Dejean McCullough DB 2017 Burgard (Buffalo) 6'0 180 2nd team All WNY, 2nd team NYS all state class b defense as a junior, one of fastest players in the state
Dan Kubik OL 2017 Orchard Park 6'7 295 2nd team All WNY, 2nd team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS Class AA offense as a junior
Jerry Hickson QB 2017 St Francis 6'2 200 2nd team All WNY, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Leguim Castillo WR 2017 Lancaster 6'2 201 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Jeremy Crafts OL 2017 St Francis (Buffalo) 6'3 285 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Louis Surace P/K 2017 St Joseph's (Buffalo) 5'11 160 2nd team All WNY as a junior
Desmond Stephens DE 2017 Bishop Timon-St Jude (Buffalo) 6'4 235 1st team All NYS class AA defense as a junior, 4.79 40
Dillon Janca ATH 2017 Orchard Park 5'11 185 2nd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Anthony Maniscalco S 2017 Williamsville-North 6'3 180 5th team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Nick Emer OL 2017 Iroquois (Buffalo) 6'4 250 4th team All NYS class A offense as a junior
Ian Baker ATH 2017 Springville (Buffalo area) 5'10 185 2nd team NYS all state class b offense as a junior
Jamir Lynch ATH 2017 Kenmore West 6'0 176 Caught 11 passes in sectional final, good athlete, has speed and hands
Andy Hinds OL 2017 Guiderland 6'2 225 1st team all Capital Region as a junior
Jarrell Chaney WR 2017 Albany 6'2 185 1st team all Capital Region as a junior, speed, hands, smooth
Ky'ere Tillery RB 2017 Albany 5'10 180 1st team all Capital Region as a junior, excellent speed and cutting ability
Angus Edmundson WR 2017 Dover 6'2 185 1st team Section 1, 2nd team NYS all state class B offense as a junior; Ben Lewis type
Isiah Daubon ATH 2017 Highland 5'11 180 1st team Section 1 as a junior
Antonio Rogliano DL 2017 Eastchester 6'3 245 1st team All Hudson Valley, 2nd team All NYS class A defense, 14 sacks as a junior
Jordan Bryan RB 2017 Middletown 6'2 215 2nd team All Hudson Valley offense, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior, great athlete
Delvin Wood ATH 2017 Millbrook 5'11 185 2nd team All Hudson Valley offense, 1401 yards, 28 TDs as a junior
Winston Britton ATH 2017 Hackley 5'10 168 2nd team All Hudson Valley defense as a junior
Mat Bruno ATH 2017 Rye 6'1 180 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Jaleel Berry DT 2017 Nottingham HS, Syracuse, NY 6'2 283 1st team All CNY as a junior
Dan Damico OLB 2017 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'2 225 1st team All CNY, 4th team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Noah Jordan-Williams WR 2017 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'1 185 1st team All CNY, fifth team All NYS Class AA offense as a junior
Casey Rogers DE 2017 Westhill 6'3 230 2nd team NYS all state class B as a junior
Cameron Jordan WR 2017 Half Hollow Hills West 6'4 190 2nd team All Long Island, 3rd team All NYS class AA offense as a junior
Kyle Nunez DT 2017 East Islip 6'3 308 2nd team All Long Island as a junior
Danny Roell DB 2017 Seaford 5'9 165 2nd team All Long Island as a junior
Jack Coan QB 2017 Sayville 6'3 190 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a junior
Ed Munoz ATH 2017 Sayville 5'11 185 1st team All Long Island as a junior
Latrell Horton LB 2017 Longwood 5'11 250 1st team All Long Island, All NYS Class AA defense as a junior, good speed for size….
Jordan McLune ATH 2017 Farmingdale 5'8 180 1st team All Long Island as a junior
Ryan O'Shea OL 2017 MacArthur 6'1 235 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Ethan Wiederkehr DE 2017 Shoreham-Wading River 6'5 260 1st team All LI 1st team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS class A D as a jr, dad SU football alum
Jason Intermesoli PK 2017 Sayville 5'8 155 1st team All NYC offense class A as a junior
Bobby Wing ATH 2017 St Peters 5'10 170 All NYC 2nd team offense, fourth team All NYS class AA O as a junior, ran for 1356 yards and 11 TDs
Isaiah Wilson OT 2017 Poly Prep 6'7 320 1st team USA TODAY All State, 1st team All NYS class AA O as junior, offers from OSU, UM, Bama, etc.
Romello Martin DT 2017 Abraham Lincoln (Brooklyn) 6'4 290 2nd team USA TODAY All State, 3rd team All NYS class AA defense as a junior
Jason Martin ATH 2017 South Shore 6'3 263 All NYC 2nd team offense as a junior, passed for 1400 yards, ran for 762
Michael Marinelli DE 2017 Xavierian 6'4 250 All NYC 2nd team defense as a junior, 82 tackles, 10 sacks
Troy Booker RB 2017 Fort Hamilton 5'9 170 All NYC 1st team offense, ran for 1256 yards and 20 TDs as a junior
Shameen Jones WR 2017 Cardinal Hayes 6'3 175 All NYC 1st team offense, caught 48 passes for 1061 yards and 7 TDs as a junior
Jeavon Lessey DE 2017 Abraham Lincoln (Brooklyn) 6'3 235 All NYC 1st team defense, 6 sacks as a junior
Ramell Redd RB 2017 Eagle Academy II-PSAL 6'1 226 1st team All NYS class B offense as a junior
Ramon Jefferson ATH 2017 Harry Truman (PSAL) 5'9 175 1st team All NYS class A offense as a junior
Malik Lawrie ATH 2017 Jamaica-PSAL 5'10 152 2nd team All NYS class A defense as a junior
Ryan Ehrets C 2017 Chenango Forks 6'3 250 1st team NYS all state class c offense as a junior, 98 GPA. Very quick; Mackey-like.
LJ Watson ATH 2017 Chenango Forks 6'0 190 1st team NYS all state class c defense as a junior
Devin Young ATH 2017 Binghamton 5'9 170 1st team Elite 24 offense, 2nd team All NYS class AA offense, almost 2000 all purpose yards as a junior
Andrew Clark WR 2017 Horseheads 6'3 178 Elmira All Offense as a junior
Ryan Pruitt ATH 2017 Watkins Glen 5'9 175 Elmira All Offense as a junior
Tyler Rogan LB 2017 Horseheads 6'3 201 Elmira All Offense as a junior

I also have shorter lists for 2018 and 2019.

Top Prospects in NYS for 2018:

Cory Gross
DB 2018 Brockport 6'0 180 First team AGR, 4th team All NYS Class A defense as a sophomore. 3.8 GPA
Jeremiah Sanders OL 2018 South Park 6'2 265 First team All Western NY, first team USA Today All State as a sophomore
Khalil Horton UTL 2018 Lackawanna 5'7 170 Second team All Western NY as a sophomore
Matt Myers UTL 2018 Bishop Timon-St Jude 6'4 205 Second team All Western NY as a sophomore
Alex Benson ATH 2018 Kennedy Catholic, Somers, NY 5'11 175 2nd team All Hudson Valley special teams as a sophomore, very fast
SirVocea Dennis ATH 2018 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'0 175 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Stevie Scott III RB 2018 CBA, Syracuse, NY 6'1 220 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Logan Wilcox QB 2018 Utica Proctor 6'1 185 1st team All CNY as a sophomore
Dylan Laube DB 2018 Westhampton 5'11 170 2nd team All Long Island as a sophomore
Jeremy Ruckert ATH 2018 Lindenhurst 6'6 215 1st team All Long Island, 2nd team USA TODAY All State as a sophomore
Matt Valecce ATH 2018 Fordham Prep 6'4 185 All NYC 2nd team offense as a sophomore, 2416 yards 27 TDs passing
Amad Anderson WR 2018 Curtis 6'1 170 All NYC 2nd team offense as a junior, 46 catches for 697 yards and 8 TDs
Matthew Jones DL 2018 Erasmus Hall 6'4 290 First team USA TODAY All State, 2nd team All NYS class AA def as soph, offers from PSU, Neb, Ga, etc.
Dan Fedor OL 2018 Elmira 6'6 260 Elmira All Offense as a sophomore
Jason Rodriguez DB 2018 Corning 6'1 160 Elmira All Defense as a sophomore

Top Prospects for NYS for 2019

Dhyquem Lewinson
RB 2019 Spackenkill 5'7 215 1st team Section 1 as a freshman; has strength and speed, wears 44

This kid is the ultimate man-child. If he grows a few inches, he will be something else...
Amad Anderson just received an offer from Syracuse

I can tell you now that Amad Anderson is all about Rutgers right now.

Tom: Any Buzz on my neighbor, Alex Garcia, 6'3" 340 lbs. Bville soph.

Tom: Any Buzz on my neighbor, Alex Garcia, 6'3" 340 lbs. Bville soph.
No. He should hit the camp circuit hard this coming summer. It has been a while since there was player from Bville on scholarship at SU. Hope that changes with Alex.

No. He should hit the camp circuit hard this coming summer. It has been a while since there was player from Bville on scholarship at SU. Hope that changes with Alex.
Nick Robinson says Hi! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom