Class of 2020 - An Early Look at the Top NYS Prospects in the Class of 2020 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 An Early Look at the Top NYS Prospects in the Class of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Okay, here is my list of the best prospects in the state in the class of 2020. This is not a list of the best players, but the best prospects. Look like a good year for skilled position players, not so much for linemen.

It is based on how players did on all region teams, what their offers are to date and a review of their film. I am happy to note that far more players have film available for review and the quality of the film continues to improve with each passing year.

I will follow up with more info on the top players later. I have shorter lists for the classes of 2021 and 2022 that will follow.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• NYS Class of 2020.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,609
Thanks! I look forward to following the progress of these guys throughout the year.

Embarrassing that a state with the population of New York has so few linemen.
I will say that 3 or 4 players emerged out of nowhere after I published my initial list last year to get scholarships to D1 schools. Two were from the same HS, Christ the King in Middle Village.

Jared Harrison-Hunte has offers from at least 12 schools, including Texas A&M, Ole Miss and LSU.

6'5 275 OT Adam El Gammal, who only started playing football recently, is headed to Miami.

Matt Goncalves, a 6'6 307 OL from Long Island, is headed to Pitt.

And Chris Fowx, a 6'6 300 OL from Archbishop Stepinac, is headed to Temple.

We only offered Harrison-Hunte.

I don't know of any good way to identify the best players out of NYC. There were a bunch of All NYC all star teams in the past but I can only find a couple for the Catholic schools these days. I bet a couple of good linemen from NYC emerge in the next 12 months. Probably one or two from upstate NY or Long Island as well.

Last edited:
Looking like a lot of talent downstate this year

Great list Tom! Looks like a few more offers out for this class than last years and probably more offers to come.

Wow. It is rare to see a Columbia County kid on a list like this. I think the last one was Josh Keyes, a (very) small school kid from Chatham, NY who went to BC as a LB about 8 years ago and has traveled around the League (currently with Houston). You've got to dig down deep to find someone in this neck of the woods with a legitimate shot at DI ball. Good job once again Tom.

Wow. It is rare to see a Columbia County kid on a list like this. I think the last one was Josh Keyes, a (very) small school kid from Chatham, NY who went to BC as a LB about 8 years ago and has traveled around the League (currently with Houston). You've got to dig down deep to find someone in this neck of the woods with a legitimate shot at DI ball. Good job once again Tom.
Thank you.

Haydon Broockmann is a great name. He was just named first team all state. I really hope he gets interest from P5 schools. He is a big guy who can run and catch. I have him as the best TE prospect in the state. IMHO, he is definitely a P5 level player.

Haydon, go to one of the Syracuse camps this summer!

All the all state teams have been out for a couple of weeks and schools have switched their focus to the classes of 2020, 2021 and even the class of 2022.

Here are my lists, all combined in one pdf. Scroll down for the classes of 2021 and 2022. There are some good QBs coming in 21 and 22.

Attachments

• Class of 2019 NYS Top Football Prospects.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Good Stuff Tom. I consult with a coach in Rochester who started a database for coaches with NYS prospects. It allows college coaches of all levels to see names and measurables of top players in the state.

You can follow on twitter here
Prospect NYS (@prospectnys) | Twitter

Check out the website here
https://www.prospectnys.com/
Nice. I saw that 2019 prospect Rayyan Buell of Hornell got a scholarship late from Rutgers, who had another disaster of a recruiting class. Very happy for Rayyan. He is 6’2, 270 pounds and played MIKE in HS. Good athlete who just might end up being a player for the troubled Scarlet Knight program.

Nice. I saw that 2019 prospect Rayyan Buell of Hornell got a scholarship late from Rutgers, who had another disaster of a recruiting class. Very happy for Rayyan. He is 6’2, 270 pounds and played MIKE in HS. Good athlete who just might end up being a player for the troubled Scarlet Knight program.
The kid played RB too. He could be a good player down the road. Despite the coaching lol

Okay, here is my list of the best prospects in the state in the class of 2020. This is not a list of the best players, but the best prospects. Look like a good year for skilled position players, not so much for linemen.

It is based on how players did on all region teams, what their offers are to date and a review of their film. I am happy to note that far more players have film available for review and the quality of the film continues to improve with each passing year.

I will follow up with more info on the top players later. I have shorter lists for the classes of 2021 and 2022 that will follow.

Enjoy!
We will have some space in '20 at RB, since Strictland has exhausted his eligibility and Adams (edit ?) and Neal will be seniors this coming season. Murphy and Constant look like the real deal. Constant might be an early ND lean, but these are the kinds of big, fast runners we need to take the next step.

Last edited:
We will have some space in '20 at RB, since Strictland has exhausted his eligibility and Adams and Neal will be seniors this coming season. Murphy and Constant look like the real deal. Constant might be an early ND lean, but these are the kinds of big, fast runners we need to take the next step.
I wouldnt count on those two signing with Cuse. Things can change but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

We will have some space in '20 at RB, since Strictland has exhausted his eligibility and Adams and Neal will be seniors this coming season. Murphy and Constant look like the real deal. Constant might be an early ND lean, but these are the kinds of big, fast runners we need to take the next step.
Hey board, doesn't Adams have 2 years of eligibility left? He's a Junior, but can play 2 - right?

I'm not saying we're frontrunners. I'm just saying .. these are the types of recruits we should be shooting for. It's time to rupture the ND/PSU pipelines.
No I feel the same Im just letting you know my thoughts based on conversations Ive had. Nothing from the propsects perspective.

Here is an updated list of my top 31. I think 18 players already have at least one scholarship offer for football. A number also play lacrosse and are going to play that sport in college.

The big moves are Cullen Coleman, who has emerged as a national recruit with offers from almost everyone, Ibrahim Tratore, an OT from NYC and Steven Mahar, an good looking TE out of Aquinas in Rochester. Tratore and Mahar came out of nowhere...didn’t see them on any all star lists from the 2018 season. But they clearly are BCS level talents.

Erasmus Hall has 4 of the top 11 prospects in the state. Pretty remarkable for a small school in Brooklyn.

Coleman is the only player in th top 13 who is not from NYC, which has become the epicenter for D1 prospects in NYS. Some of that is legit but I think a lot of schools recruiting the AA level players there stumble upon other players with talent. If you have talent and play in NYC thes days you are going to get attention.

# Player Name High School Pos Hometown Hgt Wgt Comments
1 Tirek Murphy Jr Christ the King RB Queens 6’1 205 #23 RB in class of 2020, cbs sports all American, 23 offers to date, including Syracuse
2 Cullen Coleman Rye Country Day ATH Rye 6’3 220 Big, strong, fast. 1st team all state offense class B. Offers from mult ivies, UMass, Temple, RU, UM, ND, Neb, OSU, Bama, Purdue, BC & Syracuse
3 Lamy Constant Poly Prep RB Brooklyn 6’0 190 Top 100 players in NYC as soph, offers from Syracuse, BC, UMd, Mich, LSU, UM, RU. Loves ND.
4 Sofian Mousaud Cardinal Hayes ATH Brooklyn 6’2 185 3rd team class AA all state, 1st team All NYC, passed for 3106 yards, 32 TDs, offers from Syracuse, BC, UVa
5 William Mohan Erasmus Hall ATH Brooklyn 6’1 190 Offers from Michigan, Syracuse and Tennessee, 1st team all NYS as junior
6 Israel Abanikanda Lincoln RB Brooklyn 5’11 182 Offers from Syracuse, BC, Temple, Rutgers and UB. One of the fastest players in the state.
7 Justin Bellido Erasmus Hall WR Brooklyn 5’10 170 Led PSAL in receptions as junior. Great hands. Offers from Syracuse, Boston College, Temple and FAU.
8 AJ Roberts Tottenville LB Staten Island 6’2 210 3rd team all state defense class A. Offers from LSU, Rutgers, UMass, BC, Pitt, Temple, Dartmouth, Purdue & Syracuse
9 Ibrahim Traore Frederick Douglas OT Harlem 6’5 290 Best offensive lineman in the state? Offers from Tennessee and Buffalo.
10 Elijah Gaines Erasmus Hall ATH Queens 6’3 200 Transfer from Alexandria, VA. Offered by Pitt, V Tech, UVa
11 Andre Hines Jr Erasmus Hall ATH Brooklyn 6’2 205 HM All NYC, as a soph, 4.5 40, 245 lb bp, big, fast transfer from St Peters, offers from BC, SUNY Albany, Florida Atlantic & Kent State.
12 Michael Tetteh Cardinal Hayes DL Bronx 6’4 260 Offers from Temple and Buffalo
13 Zephron Lester Christ the King DT Middle Village 6’1 265 Offers from Temple, Army, Penn and Morgan State
14 Steven Mahar Jr Aquinas Institute TE Rochester 6’5 225 Very athletic, can get yards after catch. Offers from Buffalo, Fordham and SUNY Stony Brook
15 Jordan Dunbar Iona Prep DB New Rochelle 6’1 183 1st team all NYS as junior, offers from Florida Atlantic, Fordham, Georgetown, Penn and Princeton, 4.47 40, 3.8 gpa
16 Xavier Arline Shoreham-Wading River ATH Shoreham 5’9 170 Fifth team all state offense class A, ran for 2275 yards (tops in NYS) and 33 TDs as a junior. 4.43 40. Offer from SUNY Stony Brook
17 Jordan Francois Bridgton Academy SS Valley Stream 5’10 210 Doing post grad season in New England, offer from Wagner, big Syracuse fan
18 Nate Carter Bishop Kearney RB Rochester 5’10 180 First team preseason All Greater Rochester, great tackler, excellent speed, tough and exciting player, Syracuse interest
19 Haydon Broockmann Ichabod Crane TE Valatie 6’4 215 First team all NYS, 37 catches, 716 yards, 11 TDs as junior, agile, good hands
20 Dominick Barbuto Lynbrook DE/LB Lynbrook 6’3 235 All Long Island second team as a junior, Newsday says D1 player, violent hitting, turnover generator, coming off a knee injury that caused him to miss most of his junior season. 3.8 gpa
21 Liam Scheuer Williamsville North DE Williamsville 6’2 250 1st team class A all state, 109 tackles, 23 TFL 11 sacks as soph. QB demo machine, love his film. 3.3 gpa
22 Tyrese Weeks Midwood RB Brooklyn 6’0 222 4th team all state offense class AA, 315 bp, power back who can catch it too. ‘Iron Head’-like game, leading rusher in PSAL as jr
21 Sunkonmi Agyunioye Lindenhurst DE Lindenhurst 6’5 230 3rd team all state defense class AA, good athlete, very physical, will probably end up at DT
23 Justin Lacks Moore Catholic RB Staten Island 6’0 205 5th team all state (class B) as a frosh, ran for 1251 yards, 11 TDs as a soph, US Army AA as junior
24 D’Jae Perry Bennett RB Buffalo 5’10 185 1st team All WNY, 4th team all state offense class AA, averaged 14.2 ypc, ran for 1175 yards and 10 TDs as junior
25 Hugh Kelleher MacArthur ATH Levittown 6’2 190 2nd team all state defense class A, All Long Island first team as a junior. Fast, tackles well, projects as SS, verbaled to Cornell for lacrosse
26 Mike Glinski West Seneca West LB West Seneca 6’2 215 First team all state class A, All WNY as sophomore and junior. Also one of the best HS hockey players in NYS.
27 Christian Tait Monsignor Farrell WR Staten Island 6’4 185 2nd team all state offense class AA, 58 catches for 775 yards and 5 TDs. Classic possession WR.
28 John Mack Minisink Valley WR Slate Hill 6’3 190 Tall, rangy, 2nd team All section as junior despite missing half of season w/ injury
29 Colbie Young Binghamton WR Binghamton 6’3 180 6th team class AA all state as soph, 1st team All Southern Tier as soph & junior. D1 talent.
30 Gio Fabi Owego DL Owego 6’2 260 Elite 24 (All Southern Tier) as junior, very agile and versatile
31 Justin Brown Half Hollow Hills West ATH Dix Hills 6’0 180 1st team all state offense class A, All Long Island first team as a junior, ran for over 1300 yards, UConn offer, committed to Michigan for lacrosse
32 Nick Wamp Skaneateles WR Skaneateles 6’2 204 First team All CNY as a soph & junior, 7th all time in receiving yards in NYS history, also all region lacrosse player

Last edited:
I will say that 3 or 4 players emerged out of nowhere after I published my initial list last year to get scholarships to D1 schools. Two were from the same HS, Christ the King in Middle Village.

Jared Harrison-Hunte has offers from at least 12 schools, including Texas A&M, Ole Miss and LSU.

6'5 275 OT Adam El Gammal, who only started playing football recently, is headed to Miami.

Matt Goncalves, a 6'6 307 OL from Long Island, is headed to Pitt.

And Chris Fowx, a 6'6 300 OL from Archbishop Stepinac, is headed to Temple.

We only offered Harrison-Hunte.

I don't know of any good way to identify the best players out of NYC. There were a bunch of All NYC all star teams in the past but I can only find a couple for the Catholic schools these days. I bet a couple of good linemen from NYC emerge in the next 12 months. Probably one or two from upstate NY or Long Island as well.

You are a genius at this stuff. Your ability to evaluate things like line play in scrimmages is truly awe-inspiring. Thank you for the enormous contributions you make to the Board.

I always loved how Coach Mac would recruit local talent from Liverpool, CNS, Auburn, Baldwinsville, JD, Nottingham, etc.

Are they any local prospects in the 21 or 22 classes that can make a case to play for Coach Babers and help this program continue on the uphill momentum?

Like who are the top players for the class of 21 or class 22 that are from CNY?

Miami did very well here last year picking up El Gammal, Blisset, and Harrison-Hunte. South Florida produces elite football talent but very few top OL. Any good one up there this year?

Here is an updated list of my top 31. I think 18 players already have at least one scholarship offer for football. A number also play lacrosse and are going to play that sport in college.

The big moves are Cullen Coleman, who has emerged as a national recruit with offers from almost everyone, Ibrahim Tratore, an OT from NYC and Steven Mahar, an good looking TE out of Aquinas in Rochester. Tratore and Mahar came out of nowhere...didn’t see them on any all star lists from the 2018 season. But they clearly are BCS level talents.

Erasmus Hall has 4 of the top 11 prospects in the state. Pretty remarkable for a small school in Brooklyn.

Coleman is the only player in th top 13 who is not from NYC, which has become the epicenter for D1 prospects in NYS. Some of that is legit but I think a lot of schools recruiting the AA level players there stumble upon other players with talent. If you have talent and play in NYC thes days you are going to get attention.

# Player Name High School Pos Hometown Hgt Wgt Comments
1 Tirek Murphy Jr Christ the King RB Queens 6’1 205 #23 RB in class of 2020, cbs sports all American, 23 offers to date, including Syracuse
2 Cullen Coleman Rye Country Day ATH Rye 6’3 220 Big, strong, fast. 1st team all state offense class B. Offers from mult ivies, UMass, Temple, RU, UM, ND, Neb, OSU, Bama, Purdue, BC & Syracuse
3 Lamy Constant Poly Prep RB Brooklyn 6’0 190 Top 100 players in NYC as soph, offers from Syracuse, BC, UMd, Mich, LSU, UM, RU. Loves ND.
4 Sofian Mousaud Cardinal Hayes ATH Brooklyn 6’2 185 3rd team class AA all state, 1st team All NYC, passed for 3106 yards, 32 TDs, offers from Syracuse, BC, UVa
5 William Mohan Erasmus Hall ATH Brooklyn 6’1 190 Offers from Michigan, Syracuse and Tennessee, 1st team all NYS as junior
6 Israel Abanikanda Lincoln RB Brooklyn 5’11 182 Offers from Syracuse, BC, Temple, Rutgers and UB. One of the fastest players in the state.
7 Justin Bellido Erasmus Hall WR Brooklyn 5’10 170 Led PSAL in receptions as junior. Great hands. Offers from Syracuse, Boston College, Temple and FAU.
8 AJ Roberts Tottenville LB Staten Island 6’2 210 3rd team all state defense class A. Offers from LSU, Rutgers, UMass, BC, Pitt, Temple, Dartmouth, Purdue & Syracuse
9 Ibrahim Traore Frederick Douglas OT Harlem 6’5 290 Best offensive lineman in the state? Offers from Tennessee and Buffalo.
10 Elijah Gaines Erasmus Hall ATH Queens 6’3 200 Transfer from Alexandria, VA. Offered by Pitt, V Tech, UVa
11 Andre Hines Jr Erasmus Hall ATH Brooklyn 6’2 205 HM All NYC, as a soph, 4.5 40, 245 lb bp, big, fast transfer from St Peters, offers from BC, SUNY Albany, Florida Atlantic & Kent State.
12 Michael Tetteh Cardinal Hayes DL Bronx 6’4 260 Offers from Temple and Buffalo
13 Zephron Lester Christ the King DT Middle Village 6’1 265 Offers from Temple, Army, Penn and Morgan State
14 Steven Mahar Jr Aquinas Institute TE Rochester 6’5 225 Very athletic, can get yards after catch. Offers from Buffalo, Fordham and SUNY Stony Brook
15 Jordan Dunbar Iona Prep DB New Rochelle 6’1 183 1st team all NYS as junior, offers from Florida Atlantic, Fordham, Georgetown, Penn and Princeton, 4.47 40, 3.8 gpa
16 Xavier Arline Shoreham-Wading River ATH Shoreham 5’9 170 Fifth team all state offense class A, ran for 2275 yards (tops in NYS) and 33 TDs as a junior. 4.43 40. Offer from SUNY Stony Brook
17 Jordan Francois Bridgton Academy SS Valley Stream 5’10 210 Doing post grad season in New England, offer from Wagner, big Syracuse fan
18 Nate Carter Bishop Kearney RB Rochester 5’10 180 First team preseason All Greater Rochester, great tackler, excellent speed, tough and exciting player, Syracuse interest
19 Haydon Broockmann Ichabod Crane TE Valatie 6’4 215 First team all NYS, 37 catches, 716 yards, 11 TDs as junior, agile, good hands
20 Dominick Barbuto Lynbrook DE/LB Lynbrook 6’3 235 All Long Island second team as a junior, Newsday says D1 player, violent hitting, turnover generator, coming off a knee injury that caused him to miss most of his junior season. 3.8 gpa
21 Liam Scheuer Williamsville North DE Williamsville 6’2 250 1st team class A all state, 109 tackles, 23 TFL 11 sacks as soph. QB demo machine, love his film. 3.3 gpa
22 Tyrese Weeks Midwood RB Brooklyn 6’0 222 4th team all state offense class AA, 315 bp, power back who can catch it too. ‘Iron Head’-like game, leading rusher in PSAL as jr
21 Sunkonmi Agyunioye Lindenhurst DE Lindenhurst 6’5 230 3rd team all state defense class AA, good athlete, very physical, will probably end up at DT
23 Justin Lacks Moore Catholic RB Staten Island 6’0 205 5th team all state (class B) as a frosh, ran for 1251 yards, 11 TDs as a soph, US Army AA as junior
24 D’Jae Perry Bennett RB Buffalo 5’10 185 1st team All WNY, 4th team all state offense class AA, averaged 14.2 ypc, ran for 1175 yards and 10 TDs as junior
25 Hugh Kelleher MacArthur ATH Levittown 6’2 190 2nd team all state defense class A, All Long Island first team as a junior. Fast, tackles well, projects as SS, verbaled to Cornell for lacrosse
26 Mike Glinski West Seneca West LB West Seneca 6’2 215 First team all state class A, All WNY as sophomore and junior. Also one of the best HS hockey players in NYS.
27 Christian Tait Monsignor Farrell WR Staten Island 6’4 185 2nd team all state offense class AA, 58 catches for 775 yards and 5 TDs. Classic possession WR.
28 John Mack Minisink Valley WR Slate Hill 6’3 190 Tall, rangy, 2nd team All section as junior despite missing half of season w/ injury
29 Colbie Young Binghamton WR Binghamton 6’3 180 6th team class AA all state as soph, 1st team All Southern Tier as soph & junior. D1 talent.
30 Gio Fabi Owego DL Owego 6’2 260 Elite 24 (All Southern Tier) as junior, very agile and versatile
31 Justin Brown Half Hollow Hills West ATH Dix Hills 6’0 180 1st team all state offense class A, All Long Island first team as a junior, ran for over 1300 yards, UConn offer, committed to Michigan for lacrosse
32 Nick Wamp Skaneateles WR Skaneateles 6’2 204 First team All CNY as a soph & junior, 7th all time in receiving yards in NYS history, also all region lacrosse player

A very comprehensive list...thanks. Miami offered Tirek Murphy as we already have his team mate on the squad. We are still prioritizing Knighton but might turn the heat on Murphy if Knighton decides to commit elsewhere. This recruitment could get interesting.

I rather just take first available right now.

A very comprehensive list...thanks. Miami offered Tirek Murphy as we already have his team mate on the squad. We are still prioritizing Knighton but might turn the heat on Murphy if Knighton decides to commit elsewhere. This recruitment could get interesting.

I rather just take first available right now.
Murphy is involved with some big time programs. Not like the players you took from NY last year. I don't think Miami is a big enough name to interest him but you never know in recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom