Anae and co's success here is news in Utah | Syracusefan.com

Anae and co's success here is news in Utah

I don't have a problem with most of it. Our wins only account for 5 of the 16 losses so the comment is legitimate. They acknowledged how good our defense has been. There's no excuse for not knowing Tucker is a RB being used differently than in the past. I love that we're 5-0 but anyone with objectivity can acknowledge we were fortunate to get a couple breaks in our Virginia and Purdue wins. Let's now clean some stuff up and make some noise against the part of the schedule the pundits can't dismiss.

I don't have a problem with most of it. Our wins only account for 5 of the 16 losses so the comment is legitimate. They acknowledged how good our defense has been. There's no excuse for not knowing Tucker is a RB being used differently than in the past. I love that we're 5-0 but anyone with objectivity can acknowledge we were fortunate to get a couple breaks in our Virginia and Purdue wins. Let's now clean some stuff up and make some noise against the part of the schedule the pundits can't dismiss.
We also have to remember this offense is an evolving process as it is new for everyone. As the season progresses I believe that we will see a more dynamic and productive offense. If we look back at the Wagner game we saw some of the adjustments made to the OL scheme to bring back the gaps for the running game to explode. Saw a lot of pulling guards and cross blocking. I am excited and pretty confident that this team is going to surprise many with some of their wins.
LGO !!

Last edited:
We also have to remember this offense is an evolving process as it is new for everyone. As the season progresses I believe that we will see a more dynamic and productive offense. If we look back at the Wagner game we saw some of the adjustments made to the OL scheme to bring back the gaps for the running game to explode. Saw a lot of pulling guards and cross blocking. I am excited and pretty confident that this team is going to surprise many with some of their wins.
LGO !!
We saw some new stuff vs Wagner we have not run all year.. another 2 weeks to work on things I would expect a few new wrinkles next week as well.

Yeah, I think if anything, even though the metrics support it, it's not accurate to say we've had an easy schedule. We still played 3 P5 teams. Those are still always tough games. It just so happens 2 of the 3 programs appear to be underperforming against preseason expectations.

LGO !!
Absolutely, that's why I mentioned cleaning stuff up. I was just pointing out the article was pretty fair. They weren't dumping on us when talking about our upcoming challenges.

I hate when they knock the teams we’ve played. If we had lost to them, their records would be better.

Especially when a team like Purdue knocked off an unbeaten, ranked team like Minnesota last weekend.

The reality is, Purdue [certainly], Louisville, and Virginia ALL could get to bowl eligibility [I get see UVa getting to 6 wins, since the last third of their schedule is weak]. Which would make our record look even better, when the dust settles.

Yeah, I think if anything, even though the metrics support it, it's not accurate to say we've had an easy schedule. We still played 3 P5 teams. Those are still always tough games. It just so happens 2 of the 3 programs appear to be underperforming against preseason expectations.
The last two times Cuse has beaten 3 P5 teams in a season are the last two times Cuse made a bowl.

Yea but nobody mentions that we lost 3 games by 3 points to Clemson, FSU, and WF, so idgaf how we win just as long as we win. If those had gone the other way do you think we would have been picked last in the preseason poll? Interesting the article didn’t mention Louisville and how everybody was drooling over Cunningham this preseason . Plus the same Purdue team just beat undefeated Minnesota at their place.

Yea but nobody mentions that we lost 3 games by 3 points to Clemson, FSU, and WF, so idgaf how we win just as long as we win. If those had gone the other way do you think we would have been picked last in the preseason poll? Interesting the article didn’t mention Louisville and how everybody was drooling over Cunningham this preseason . Plus the same Purdue team just beat undefeated Minnesota at their place.
Sure. Let's make them give us respect over the next three games. It's up to our team now to prove them wrong.

Article from Utah press - Former BYU football quartet is helping lead a resurgence at a Power 5 program

The perception is interesting.
Weird article. Btw, it’s interesting how many reporters knock Cuse for winning the Virginia game in tight fashion. They completely ignore the fact that this team persevered through 4 turnovers and 12 penalties. I don’t know the win probability of those two combined exactly, but I know it’s less than 9%. And that type of game hasn’t been the norm.

Good teams find ways to win games they shouldn’t. So while everyone points to that game as if it should knock the team down a rung, I look at it from the polar opposite lens. I am thankful they got it out of the way against a team which they could still pull out a victory; and give them an atta boy!

Weird article. Btw, it’s interesting how many reporters knock Cuse for winning the Virginia game in tight fashion. They completely ignore the fact that this team persevered through 4 turnovers and 12 penalties. I don’t know the win probability of those two combined exactly, but I know it’s less than 9%. And that type of game hasn’t been the norm.

Good teams find ways to win games they shouldn’t. So while everyone points to that game as if it should knock the team down a rung, I look at it from the polar opposite lens. I am thankful they got it out of the way against a team which they could still pull out a victory; and give them an atta boy!
Why is it a weird article?

If Syracuse was Alabama, they’d be seen as a championship team fighting through adversity, but since they’re Syracuse they’re seen as a frauds getting lucky.

Minnesota who lost to purdue? Heros facing adversity, Syracuse who beat purdue? Lucky.

If Syracuse was Alabama, they’d be seen as a championship team fighting through adversity, but since they’re Syracuse they’re seen as a frauds getting lucky.

Minnesota who lost to purdue? Heros facing adversity, Syracuse who beat purdue? Lucky.
Exactly.

The article seemed to go guardrail to guardrail. Praised Anae and Co, but then downplayed their success heavily as well.
I didn't read it like that. I read it as praising their overall success but casting some doubt on our particular season so far because we hadn't yet faced the toughest part of our schedule.