Analysis from the Louisville side | Syracusefan.com

Analysis from the Louisville side

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
It really grinds my gears that their fans and bloggers are bemoaning who they got clobbered by. I realize that our perception is that of a bottom feeder program, and we have more than earned that reputation in recent years. It's also true that they have had our number, big time (as have most other ACC teams, sadly). Trust me, I'm well aware of all of that.

Still, they laughingly seem to view themselves as the '72 Dolphins. Hey Cards: we went 5-7 last year. You went only 6-6 and then lost your NIT-level bowl. Your coach has been talked about as being on the hot seat. You are the dirtiest team we have faced in quite awhile, and even that didn't save you. You are a legend in your own mind.

It was a big win for SU both from the standpoint of margin of victory as well as the fact that winning a conference game is not remotely an everyday thing for us. But the fact is that you guys are really not good enough to having a fainting spell over losing to SU. We are not Bama, but you should get used to losing a whole bunch of games this year because your team doesn't match your overblown self-image. It did not last year, and it does not now. All your cheap hits, leg twisting, and other extra-curricular activity in the pile won't work against anyone else on your schedule any better than it did against SU. I'd circle that James Madison game because that will be your Super Bowl. Then you can whine about losing to them too.

It really grinds my gears that their fans and bloggers are bemoaning who they got clobbered by. I realize that our perception is that of a bottom feeder program, and we have more than earned that reputation in recent years. It's also true that they have had our number, big time (as have most other ACC teams, sadly). Trust me, I'm well aware of all of that.

Still, they laughingly seem to view themselves as the '72 Dolphins. Hey Cards: we went 5-7 last year. You went only 6-6 and then lost your NIT-level bowl. Your coach has been talked about as being on the hot seat. You are the dirtiest team we have faced in quite awhile, and even that didn't save you. You are a legend in your own mind.

It was a big win for SU both from the standpoint of margin of victory as well as the fact that winning a conference game is not remotely an everyday thing for us. But the fact is that you guys are really not good enough to having a fainting spell over losing to SU. We are not Bama, but you should get used to losing a whole bunch of games this year because your team doesn't match your overblown self-image. It did not last year, and it does not now. All your cheap hits, leg twisting, and other extra-curricular activity in the pile won't work against anyone else on your schedule any better than it did against SU. I'd circle that James Madison game because that will be your Super Bowl. Then you can whine about losing to them too.
I have two worries after Saturday’s big win:

1) Injuries. Thompson’s injury creates an enormous void.

2) How good/bad is Louisville? They might be a bottom 4 ACC squad. Remember in 2019. How good must’ve Maryland fans thought they were after blasting No. 21 Syracuse by 40+ in Week 2 to improve to 2-0. Plot twist. The Terps finished 3-9.

I am optimistic. But guarded.

I have two worries after Saturday’s big win:

1) Injuries. Thompson’s injury creates an enormous void.

2) How good/bad is Louisville? They might be a bottom 4 ACC squad. Remember in 2019. How good must’ve Maryland fans thought they were after blasting No. 21 Syracuse by 40+ in Week 2 to improve to 2-0. Plot twist. The Terps finished 3-9.

I am optimistic. But guarded.

Not remotely concerned about how good Louisville is, or will prove to be. They are a bowl contender, and we handled them on both sides of the ball. That's what better teams should be able to do, and it's a good indicator of how we might fare against peer programs.

We returned something like 16 starters, and it showed. We had coaching upgrades, and it showed in how the team performed in all three phases.

Quality of opponent is one indicator, but it isn't the only one.

I suspect Louisville fans are bewildered because they had VERY high expectations coming into this season. And I understand why, they have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

That's precisely why I think our win was a big accomplishment. I don't see UL scoring only 7 many more times this season.

2) How good/bad is Louisville? They might be a bottom 4 ACC squad.
We really don't know how good they are, but even if they prove to have a down season we still beat them in accordance with how we should have. If they are not as bad they looked, so much the better for SU. Either way, it is all good.

I'm just annoyed at their hand-wringing over losing to "lowly SU". Yeah, we have been lowly but Louisville didn't set the world on fire last year either.

We really don't know how good they are, but even if they prove to have a down season we still beat them in accordance with how we should have. If they are not as bad they looked, so much the better for SU. Either way, it is all good.

I'm just annoyed at their hand-wringing over losing to "lowly SU". Yeah, we have been lowly but Louisville didn't set the world on fire last year either.
The thing about "lowly SU" is that America wants SU to be good. Late in 2018 there was so much talk about SU's resurgence, and that persisted through the offseason. Putting aside certain fan bases, the national college football media wants SU to be a player. So all we need to do is be good, and the narrative about us will change rapidly.

They are Louisville. Somehow they are recruiting well, although I could see that falling apart fairly quickly. They had Lamar Jackson, he made up for a lot of mediocrity. They aren't smart enough to see that they got beat by a pretty damn good football team?

We are who I said we are, and we buried them.

I expected them to win the game. The margin was a surprise.

The thing about "lowly SU" is that America wants SU to be good. Late in 2018 there was so much talk about SU's resurgence, and that persisted through the offseason. Putting aside certain fan bases, the national college football media wants SU to be a player. So all we need to do is be good, and the narrative about us will change rapidly.
I don't know if America wants us to be good or even cares about us at all, but I certainly would love the narrative to change.

Let’s actually call this what it should have been. 18 penalties. 3 drive killing drops of 15+ yards. The score should have been way more of a blowout and their fans are acting like they gave it away. They had 1 good play. Literally one. Their coach is a total nerd too. I’m glad I don’t have to be a Louisville fan

The college football narrative is, for the most part, set by dudes in their 40s, 50s and 60s. They remember when SU was fun and good. They're rooting for us.

I noticed you stopped at 60's...hey, I exist too!!!!!

You are right though. It also makes a good story: used to be very good, then sucked, then were very good again, have sucked for a long time and they are now would be the feel-good story of the year. Dino is a great interview who makes good copy, as well.

Ville are the skanks of the ACC

Let’s actually call this what it should have been. 18 penalties. 3 drive killing drops of 15+ yards. The score should have been way more of a blowout and their fans are acting like they gave it away. They had 1 good play. Literally one. Their coach is a total nerd too. I’m glad I don’t have to be a Louisville fan

Agreed. EIGHTEEN freaking penalties -- it was absurd.

And it barely slowed us down. Need to clean that up -- massively -- but there was a lot of positive to take away from Saturday's performance. Both the floor and the ceiling for this team's potential have been raised. If we do what we need to against peer programs, I think this team can find it's way into the top 25. And that's not an overreaction to a blowout win.

Bowl or bust.

We crushed them in all facets. I am sure they have a few more knowledgeable football fans that recognize that.

You are right though. It also makes a good story: used to be very good, then sucked, then were very good again, have sucked for a long time and they are now would be the feel-good story of the year. Dino is a great interview who makes good copy, as well.
Steve and I are in our 70' s, I'm on the back end at 76.
Dino is likeable, the National Media would love for him to be consistently on the national stage.

And it barely slowed us down. Need to clean that up -- massively -- but there was a lot of positive to take away from Saturday's performance. Both the floor and the ceiling for this team's potential have been raised.

Bowl or bust.
Yeah, it used to be a 5 yard penalty on first down was an automatic 3 and out. It was hard enough to get 10 yards, 15 was damn near impossible. Our guys just went on with their business.

No offense! Most college football media types retire by the time they get to their 70s. Unless you're Lee Corso, who can work forever as far as I'm concerned.

Steve and I are in our 70' s, I'm on the back end at 76.
Dino is likeable, the National Media would love for him to be consistently on the national stage.
70's are the new 50's.

Dick in Mi, still feisty and gettin after it after all these years, love it!

And it barely slowed us down.
Wasn't that nuts? I just shook my head every time the whistle blew and yet, as you say, it barely slowed us down. We won't be so lucky going forward if we don't address the penalties, but Louisville simply had no answer for us on either side of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom