Anatomy of a coach's $15 million-contract ... | Syracusefan.com

Anatomy of a coach's $15 million-contract ...

cto

Administrator
Most state schools must disclose certain compensation agreements. Here is a full breakdown of one that pays $15 million over five years (plus all kinds of perks) ... Geno Auriemma's new contract. I wonder how many men's coaches receive that much. (Geno is the women's basketball coach at UConn).

Last edited:
Most state schools must disclose certain compensation agreements. Here is a full breakdown of one that pays $15 million over five years (plus all kinds of perks) ... Geno Auriemma's new contract. I wonder how many men's coaches receive that much. (Geno is the women's basketball coach at UConn).

Looks like this is subscribers only.

dont all uconn coaches use the phrase "not a dime back" ?

I thought Uconn was having money problems?
In short, yes UConn doesn’t make money on the athletics program as a whole. It’s pretty stark in fact. BUT when it comes to basketball it will always be funded at a very high level. For instance, Hurley makes $2.9 million and his assistants make pretty significant money. In 2019 we were top 15 in recruiting spending amongst public universities. We spent significantly more on recruiting than all public ACC schools (data for privates was not included). I know someone in the athletic department and the sense I get is that UConn would literally eliminate ALL other sports before going after the basketball money. So the finances are a dumpster fire but have been for decades and probably will remain so going forward.

2019 Recruiting Spending

In short, yes UConn doesn’t make money on the athletics program as a whole. It’s pretty stark in fact. BUT when it comes to basketball it will always be funded at a very high level. For instance, Hurley makes $2.9 million and his assistants make pretty significant money. In 2019 we were top 15 in recruiting spending amongst public universities. We spent significantly more on recruiting than all public ACC schools (data for privates was not included). I know someone in the athletic department and the sense I get is that UConn would literally eliminate ALL other sports before going after the basketball money. So the finances are a dumpster fire but have been for decades and probably will remain so going forward.

2019 Recruiting Spending
Makes sense. Have 2 flagship programs at the school. Those fall apart and the athletic department might as well think about moving down a level.

These figures are suspect.

I thought Uconn was having money problems?
uconn as a whole may be having money problems - but a. i bet UConn womens hoops is profitable and B. Geno has earned his money.

You cant not invest in your 1 or 2 profitable businesses to hide the rest of your athletic department. Geno has his choice of all but 1 or 2 schools in the country + mens teams + WNBA.

and no post wooden coach has ever had the run he has had. he 'deserves' 3 million a year.

They're part of an official government filing.
Perusing the list I surmise that the figures are soft. Louisville, for example, is under-reporting - does not pass the smell test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom