And here we go... | Syracusefan.com

And here we go...

orangeintheacc

Walk On
With tomorrow being July 1st and SU's first day in the ACC it is time to start thinking about some football! I noticed the SU athletic dept. has updated the roster and IMO we have a legitimate two deep (and in some cases three deep) for the first time in years.

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Team speed looks very good from top to bottom especially the D backs, linebackers and running backs. This should translate into better special teams play. The last several years we've gotten killed with poor field position by having lousy special teams. I believe we were in the bottom 20% in the country in kickoff and punt return yardage last year.

Another thing I noticed is the Oline has gotten bigger, especially the young guys ( in some cases smaller like Palmer). From what I've heard guys are getting it done in the weight room so I think you'll see a bigger, stronger and faster team than what we've seen in the past. If the team can win 3 of their first 4 games which should be a minimum goal, things could get real interesting when Clemson comes to town in October!

Def look forward to Clemson... But penn st and northwestern are great barometers to see where we'll be this year

We are untest at QB WR HC OC DC . Still I love our chances. Go orange

Team speed looks very good from top to bottom especially the D backs, linebackers and running backs. This should translate into better special teams play. The last several years we've gotten killed with poor field position by having lousy special teams. I believe we were in the bottom 20% in the country in kickoff and punt return yardage last year.

While there's no doubt that more speed and talent should help in every phase, I tend to think our issues on specials had something to do with the general approach. I think you have to commit and treat them as a legit third phase of the game to be successful. You can't treat it as a second fiddle and expect any sort of real success. I think the last staff treated specials as a necessary evil -- the measure of success had more to do with not hurting your team as opposed to truly making a lot of plays. Perhaps I'm wrong, but either way it will be interesting to watch how we perform here under a new HC and staff.

really though with West, Kobena, Wales, and Chris Clark getting some PT we do have some experience back. I get we lost Lemon/Sales but I wouldnt be surprised if Kobena lit it up this season.

We are untest at QB WR HC OC DC . Still I love our chances. Go orange

So, you're saying there's still a chance...

Agree, most times with this much unknown (QB, HC, OC, DC, WR) most teams would be in bad shape. This is not the case in Syracuse. We have more kids on the roster that are true Div. 1/AQ players with better team speed, harder hitting, harder working kids than we've had in over a decade. Maybe I have Orange colored glasses, but everything is coming up Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom