And I thought Buddy... | Syracusefan.com

And I thought Buddy...

BillSU

All American
was a pretty complete player. He’s so easily stripped, doesn’t have a decent handle, NBA? G league maybe – Swider 20, Girard 26, Edwards 22, Boeheim 7? Hell, he just scored 28 against VA. Without a complete double digit effort for at least 4 of our starters we lose. Guess I’m expecting too much. But I get tired of game after game watching us up by 14 – 18 at the end of the first half and then white knuckling the second half. Of course I know it’s JB’s fault.

But he’s gonna play “at the next level”

Buddy is a very good shooter that is undeniable, but the rest of his game is lacking significantly. He’s a lazy passer, shows little hustle for loose balls or rebounds, is bad defensively, and not very athletic. I wouldn’t call him a great player which gets thrown around here a lot, he’s the best (or second best behind Jesse) player on a sub par team.

I just don’t see how he can play in the NBA with his limitations.

Buddy is a very good shooter that is undeniable, but the rest of his game is lacking significantly. He’s a lazy passer, shows little hustle for loose balls or rebounds, is bad defensively, and not very athletic. I wouldn’t call him a great player which gets thrown around here a lot, he’s the best (or second best behind Jesse) player on a sub par team.

He is a good shooter - very good for me anyway is a bit of a stretch. Squared up and in synch I feel that Joe has a better chance of making it than Buddy. He has streaks of "holy sh-- he can shoot" but also has long stretches of "um I thought he was supposed to be a sniper". He's a good shooter.

He's a great spot up shooter but he has a way to go before settling on an NBA roster. He'd be a great overseas player but unless if he can tighten his handle and play respectable defense, there won't be a spot for him on an NBA bench.

His limitations are obvious and thinking he was ever an NBA possibility was nuts. Perhaps he'd get a shot in a camp and summer league team, but nobody that unathletic plays in the league, not too mention his complete inability to guard, handle or pass. There are numerous players that can shoot as well or better than him that are also far more athletic and well-rounded in their game. He can play overseas and probably make a solid career for himself, but let's be real here...

I have no idea if he’ll get a seat at the table but you never know. Most here thought Brissett had no chance.
Good point plus hes the focus of the other team.
I think he has a chance to make a team. He can play in Europe and make a nice living. If he was just a step or so quicker...

He's a great spot up shooter but he has a way to go before settling on an NBA roster. He'd be a great overseas player but unless if he can tighten his handle and play respectable defense, there won't be a spot for him on an NBA bench.
What makes him a great overseas player? Any overseas game I watch seem to have a bunch of guys that play like Buddy

I have no idea if he’ll get a seat at the table but you never know. Most here thought Brissett had no chance.
Brissett can do more than just one thing. He's got good athleticism for his position. Buddy does not. Brissett can shoot and bang, and play defense in the association. Buddy can shoot but he'll have to show he can shoot from the NBA distance as well.

Brissett can do more than just one thing. He's got good athleticism for his position. Buddy does not. Brissett can shoot and bang, and play defense in the association. Buddy can shoot but he'll have to show he can shoot from the NBA distance as well.

Yes now he can in the nba. Go back and read posts about him while he was here. You’d think he couldn’t do anything except spaz out and fall down.

Buddy can shoot but can he defend?
I don’t think he can.
I hope the kid makes it but I don’t see him making an NBA roster outright.
Hope the kid can get a 2 way contract and develop.
Buddy is not a lights out 40% automatic 3 pt shooter.
He is a good shooter who can get white hot.
I don’t see it. Alan Griffin is a better prospect and he won’t make it.

But he’s gonna play “at the next level”

He's been asked to do way too much this year. Hasn't had the best supporting cast.
He's a fine player, has won lots of games for us, and let's be honest, he's WAY better than any of us thought he would be. He's been absolutely great.

On a different squad, with better supporting pieces, he might have had a hell of a year. And, y'know, the year's far from over, although it may feel like it right now.

A guy like Andrew White only played 15 NBA games and he was 6’7 and an even better shooter than Buddy, while being similarly limited in other aspects of the game.

Guards who were 6-5-6’7 and better all around players like Rautins and Gbinije didn’t stick either.

Guys like GMac and Devendorf were smaller, but were better all around players - they didn’t even sniff the league.

It’s funny because if Buddy wasn’t a Boeheim it would have been a fairly questionable decision to come back to school after the run he had in the tourney last year. He’s a good player and a great shooter in the right role but has a bunch of limitations. He played above his head for a couple weeks in March.

You see players and coaches parlay that into getting drafted or hired at better jobs every single year. Gotta strike when the iron is hot if that’s your goal.

A guy like Andrew White only played 15 NBA games and he was 6’7 and an even better shooter than Buddy, while being similarly limited in other aspects of the game.

Guards who were 6-5-6’7 and better all around players like Rautins and Gbinije didn’t stick either.

Guys like GMac and Devendorf were smaller, but were better all around players - they didn’t even sniff the league.
Demetris Nichols, who was two inches taller, a better shooter, and roughly infinitely better defensively (and had a good argument to be Big East POY as a senior) couldn’t make it!

There is much more of a premium on shooting in the nba now than there was in 2007 but even now you have to be an incredible shooter to stand out and I don’t think there’s really any indication buddy is that.

I think the best Syracuse comparison for buddy (basketball wise, ignoring the off the court stuff) is Preston shumpert, who was a very good college player who no one ever seriously thought was going to play in the nba.

It’s funny because if Buddy wasn’t a Boeheim it would have been a fairly questionable decision to come back to school after the run he had in the tourney last year. He’s a good player and a great shooter in the right role but has a bunch of limitations. He played above his head for a couple weeks in March.

You see players and coaches parlay that into getting drafted or hired at better jobs every single year. Gotta strike when the iron is hot if that’s your goal.

Malachi Richardson is a perfect example. It's not impossible that Buddy could have been drafted last year. He was on FI-YAH!

If there's one or even two NBA players on this team, then we're really underperforming.

Buddy is a very good college basketball player. He'll have a nice career overseas and then I would be shocked if he didn't get into coaching with his personality and last name. He's not an NBA player.

Watch him be a grad assistant here in a couple of years.

Yes now he can in the nba. Go back and read posts about him while he was here. You’d think he couldn’t do anything except spaz out and fall down.
He did. But he did it athletically

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom