And so it begings...one whisper leads to several more in time | Syracusefan.com

And so it begings...one whisper leads to several more in time

arbitragegls

All Conference
Been difficult to keep somethings so STEALTH that the pay side reacts slowly to the news:
ACC forwards a request to the NCAA for choosing Championship Game Teams:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/...send-legislation-to-ncaa-regarding-title-game

This is important because the request is built on different size divisions...not = 7 team divisions...this will begin some changes that most will applaud and also is augering well for some changes in the ACC...

The ACC Winter Meetings were not as quiet as most believe...there were some ninja type things that moved the ACC Conference forward and included:
  • ACCNetwork
  • Tournament sights
  • divisions and teams and crossover...oh my
  • revenue splits for bowl teams and NCAA bball teams greater share of revenue
More to come out in shouts soon...stay tuned and read between the lines...
All good for 'Cuse!

Sometimes Silence is really a shout...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!!..The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Last edited:
On the ACC board, a Wake Forest fan shared his thoughts on how the ACC could schedule without divisions. I figured I share it here...

WakeForestRanger's proposal... ACC's biggest football brands...

Clemson - Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State
Florida State - Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech - Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Miami
Louisville - Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Miami - Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville
Virginia Tech - Florida State, Louisville, Pitt, Virginia

New yearly match-ups are underlined.

Here are the rest.

Boston College - Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest
Duke - North Carolina, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest
North Carolina - Duke, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest
NC State - Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Pitt - Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Syracuse - Boston College, Duke, Louisville, Pitt
Virginia - Boston College, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia Tech
Wake Forest - Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, NC State

Even with 4 locked yearly opponents, an 8 game schedule would allow the ACC to rotate through opponents twice as fast as it currently is. Using Syracuse as the example yearly opponents would be Boston College, Duke, Louisville, and Pitt. That leaves 9 opponents to rotate though with 4 games. Syracuse would play everyone in the ACC, at least, once in 3 years, in its current form it takes 6 years.

The top brands being locked into yearly match-ups, may not seem fair, but it would help the TV contract greatly. There are currently "look-in" periods where the contract can be adjusted. A bigger contract means more money for Syracuse, and as I detailed earlier, Syracuse would still play these teams far more frequently than we currently are, just not every season.

Go from playing two of the conference's top teams every year to maybe one a year. Hmmmm.

I want Tech and Miami.

No way Florida State agrees to play VT, Miami, GT AND Clemson yearly. No god damn way in hell.

No way Florida State agrees to play VT, Miami, GT AND Clemson yearly. No god damn way in hell.
I wouldn't be so sure. At least for the beginning of the playoff system, a team will have to be in the top 4, or since there's a committee, pretty close to the top 4. Florida State is going to want to guarantee, that if they're good enough, they get in the playoff. It will be a lot different than the BCS system.

In other words, with this type of schedule, even if we had a ridiculous team, we would never qualify for the NC playoff because in a normal year our schedule would be too weak. Fantastic.

Basically, but in a slightly different way, he just divided everyone into North and South divisions. Nothing too new here other than there are only 4 teams slotted in every year.

This would suck, royally suck. Gross complained that we didn't play in the big recruiting areas very often. This would make it worse for us. Now we play in Florida every year against FSU and every year in Clempsum SC.

I think WakeForestRanger forgot somebody. A rather big somebody.
If you're refering to the part-time, associate, member, then he did not.

With only 3 fixed opponents one would play the other teams twice in four years... even in an 8-game schedule.

Last edited:
unbalanced schedules are a horrible idea

On the ACC board, a Wake Forest fan shared his thoughts on how the ACC could schedule without divisions. I figured I share it here...

WakeForestRanger's proposal... ACC's biggest football brands...

Clemson - Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State
Florida State - Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech - Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Miami
Louisville - Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Miami - Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville
Virginia Tech - Florida State, Louisville, Pitt, Virginia

New yearly match-ups are underlined.

Here are the rest.

Boston College - Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest
Duke - North Carolina, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest
North Carolina - Duke, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest
NC State - Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Pitt - Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Virginia - Boston College, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia Tech
Wake Forest - Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, NC State

Even with 4 locked yearly opponents, an 8 game schedule would allow the ACC to rotate through opponents twice as fast as it currently is. Using Syracuse as the example yearly opponents would be Boston College, Duke, Louisville, and Pitt. That leaves 9 opponents to rotate though with 4 games. Syracuse would play everyone in the ACC, at least, once in 3 years, in its current form it takes 6 years.

The top brands being locked into yearly match-ups, may not seem fair, but it would help the TV contract greatly. There are currently "look-in" periods where the contract can be adjusted. A bigger contract means more money for Syracuse, and as I detailed earlier, Syracuse would still play these teams far more frequently than we currently are, just not every season.

I don't think the schools in the 'other' category would look to fondly at this setup. Also, we've owned UL as of late, and that was with Strong and Bridgewater. F UL. They don't deserve that top bracket any more than we do. They couldn't even win the ACK! this year.

With only 3 fixed opponents one would play the other teams twice in four years... even in an 7-game schedule.

Exactly. With 14 teams a no-division set-up is likely to have 3 fixed opponents if an 8-game conference schedule and 5 fixed opponents if a 9-game conference schedule.

This way, we play every ACC team at least twice every 4 years.

And since I just don't see FSU, Clemson, and GT wanting a 9-game schedule, if the proposal passes, it will be 3 fixed opponents.

Cheers,
Neil

It'll only happen if the NCAA rules are amended.

Things also work well if/when ND+1 join. Form 4-team pods. With a 9-game schedule you play the non-pod members twice every four years with a 9-game schedule. With ND games in the 9-game fold, the opposition from FSU & Co. disappears. Of course, if the NCAA rules are changed then pods aren't necessary... 3-fixed and 6-flex games yield the same result.

Notre Dame? I thought they were staying independent for football

If the games don't count in the standings, then there's no need (for now) to include ND in the schedule.