Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows what the delay is. The kid can do what he wants.

I do wonder if he wants some assurances that he is going to play the majority of his minutes at the 2...something I wouldn't give him...unless he proves that he can play passable D at that position.

EXACTLY. Why would he have to come out and say anything? This is his decision and he has every right to take his time and keep it close to the vest. Why people freak out about every passing day is beyond me...

What's happening on this board is a classic case of cognitive dissonance at work. The hysteria only exists if you take as gospel what a source has said (or what their source has told them and they've repeated here) and ignore or dismiss all the other pieces of evidence. So, when someone who is "connected" says that the kid is going to commit, people latch on to that because it's what they want to hear. When supposed deadlines to commit blow by or when the kid goes on visits to other schools despite his "intention" to commit, few question the accuracy of what the board source has told them or what the source has been told but instead imagine that there must be something else that is holding the kid back from doing what he clearly wants (i.e. "evil" mom/dad want another school, "evil" AAU coaches on the make, grades, character issues, etc.). But if you accept what a source has said about the kid's intentions as just another potential clue along with many other possible pieces of evidence rather than the complete and unvarnished truth, then there's no freaking out.

What I don't like, REALLY don't like, is how some here are talking out of their a$$ about certain things that they don't know or have a clue about. Most of it is fine but not when it comes to painting a picture of this young man as being difficult or selfish just because he hasn't committed yet, suggesting that Boeheim and the White contingency are in negotiations, and other such imaginations. If you have inside info that this is happening, fine, fair game. However, don't fan the flame out of your own ignorance. Okay, back to our regular programming...

When supposed deadlines to commit blow by or when the kid goes on visits to other schools despite his "intention" to commit, few question the accuracy of what the board source has told them or what the source has been told...
Because that's frowned upon here. Seems a little strange considering SU is the home of Newhouse, but whatever.

Because that's frowned upon here. Seems a little strange considering SU is the home of Newhouse, but whatever.

The "witch hunt" after the inside info doesn't pan out is part of the "hysteria" as far as I am concerned. I'm not saying that's something we should be doing on here either. That kind of behavior is symptomatic of the cognitive dissonance that I'm talking about because the lynch party has accepted the inside information as the truth and dismissed/ignored the other signs available. When the expected event doesn't happen, some people's reaction is to "unmask" the false prophet who led them astray. I'm not suggesting that sources here whose info doesn't always pan out are "frauds." That insider may well have heard from someone in a position to know that a player was going to commit or visit or send in his papers or whatever. That doesn't mean that it happened, though. It only means that it was expected to happen. Things change, people's minds change. If you accept that any info received here is just info and not a portal into the mind of the recruit, you don't have these problem.

Last edited:
EXACTLY. Why would he have to come out and say anything? This is his decision and he has every right to take his time and keep it close to the vest. Why people freak out about every passing day is beyond me...
Show me where I said he had to come out and say something. I didn't. A lot of kids do. I said that IF he did that, there wouldn't be this frustration on the board. Of course he doesn't have to. He owes us nothing. Now, if only there was a way that you didn't have to come to this thread and read about people freaking out...there just must be a way.

OK, so then the reason neither school nor player have confirmed it would be...

(no, sorry, you're wrong)
Well JB has said they are done. Schools can't make announcements about unsigned players.
White owes it to no one to announce.
So yes.

The "witch hunt" after the inside info doesn't pan out is part of the "hysteria" as far as I am concerned. I'm not saying that's something we should be doing on here either. That kind of behavior is symptomatic of the cognitive dissonance that I'm talking about because the lynch party has accepted the inside information as the truth and dismissed/ignored the other signs available. When the expected event doesn't happen, some people's reaction is to "unmask" the false prophet who led them astray. I'm not suggesting that sources here whose info doesn't always pan out are "frauds." That insider may well have heard from someone in a position to know that a player was going to commit or visit or send in his papers or whatever. That doesn't mean that it happened, though. It only means that it was expected to happen. Things change, people's minds change. If, however, you accept that any info received here is just info and not a portal into the mind of the recruit, you don't have that problem.
LOL a little strong. There is no lynch party. There is really no cognitive dissonance. There is just a basketball board where people want to talk about Syracuse basketball and the future of Syracuse basketball. I think yours is a post that tries to make this bigger than it is. Much more so than the thread itself.

Why does it matter if other players are aware of his potential role at this point? They know he's a double digit scorer from a major conference who can drain the 3. Anybody can guess what his role would be. Who cares what VCU thinks? I don't get why they matter.

I don't get why anybody would feel the staff should move on. If AW is making demands and basically forcing their hand, that's one thing, but we have nothing to base that on. All we have is speculation and a kid that is taking his time. Why can't it just be that?

I am not saying it is not just that. In fact I think it likely is. But this is not a get at any costs situation, particular if current players are feeling stepped on and/or uncertain of roles bc of this slow dance. Again not saying or suggesting that that is the case. And the VCU comment was simply to suggest that this guy may not move the needle here as much as some think. I certainly don't buy the notion that seems popular here - that we are top 10 with him and doomed without him.

Well JB has said they are done. Schools can't make announcements about unsigned players.
White owes it to no one to announce.
So yes.
White has announced every step of the way. Usually with Jon Rothstein. If he does commit at syracuse, or anywhere else for that matter, it will be news on the ESPN basketball page and the lead story on Zags blog. It will make the Fox sports basketball page as well. A 16 pt scorer from the B1G going to a school is big news in the college basketball world. It won't take another stupid Trump statement off the network news but in college basketball, it will be big news.

LOL a little strong. There is no lynch party. There is really no cognitive dissonance. There is just a basketball board where people want to talk about Syracuse basketball and the future of Syracuse basketball. I think yours is a post that tries to make this bigger than it is. Much more so than the thread itself.

Hahaha, that's exactly what I'm saying. If everyone took everything they read here a little less seriously, there'd be a lot less angst. Likewise, if everyone on here took themselves a little less seriously, there'd be a lot less angst.

Hahaha, that's exactly what I'm saying. If everyone took everything they read here a little less seriously, there'd be a lot less angst. Likewise, if everyone on here took themselves a little less seriously, there'd be a lot less angst.
There is angst because people care. the board wants the kid in orange. 10 minutes after he would decide to go elsewhere, the board would determine that we were better off without him. Just like every other fan base.

The "witch hunt" after the inside info doesn't pan out is part of the "hysteria" as far as I am concerned. I'm not saying that's something we should be doing on here either. That kind of behavior is symptomatic of the cognitive dissonance that I'm talking about because the lynch party has accepted the inside information as the truth and dismissed/ignored the other signs available. When the expected event doesn't happen, some people's reaction is to "unmask" the false prophet who led them astray. I'm not suggesting that sources here whose info doesn't always pan out are "frauds." That insider may well have heard from someone in a position to know that a player was going to commit or visit or send in his papers or whatever. That doesn't mean that it happened, though. It only means that it was expected to happen. Things change, people's minds change. If you accept that any info received here is just info and not a portal into the mind of the recruit, you don't have these problem.

bonus points for the use of 'cognitive dissonance'

This. In the past, even when offering a playful critique of a supposed source or questioning it's validity, my posts seem to magically disappear. This has occurred on several occasions whereas purporting such claims to be absolute unquestionable truth is lauded and protected.

Most of us in this thread be like
18ocae.jpg

It does not take a rocket scientist to conclude that he has not committed because he is considering other options. We do not know if he is reconsidering MSU or Miami, but if he is, it should not be a surprise to anyone. Suppose he wants some sort of guarantee and we say no. If he had no other options he would have to commit in any event. I conclude that he feels that he has other options. With all the orange colored glasses around here people do not see that there is nothing to prevent him from changing his mind about MSU or Miami, or? It is not over until the fat lady sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom