Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most years, the starting five is pretty well set by end of summer...or at least there's a prevailing school of thought. That's not the case this year.

There are 3-4 different scenarios that could emerge.

It will be a very interesting preseason to say the least.

In most years, the starting five is pretty well set by end of summer...or at least there's a prevailing school of thought. That's not the case this year.

I could see Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson. Lydon, Coleman and Chukwu all as potential starters I just can't see Lydon not starting out of that group.

Yeah... Interesting off season to say the least!

Surprising to see Syracuse fans spend so much time talking about starting lineups. Have you ever watched a game that Boeheim coached? DC could very well start and come out thirty seconds into every game. Dion "came off the bench" and played 35 minutes a game when it mattered. Starting means nothing.

Surprising to see Syracuse fans spend so much time talking about starting lineups. Have you ever watched a game that Boeheim coached? DC could very well start and come out thirty seconds into every game. Dion "came off the bench" and played 35 minutes a game when it mattered. Starting means nothing.

Dion played mid to high 20's as a soph. The 3 guards split the 80 minutes if I recall correctly. Yes we have had ceremonial starters however. Fab as a frosh. Rock for 2/3 years. Coleman as well.

Any starting lineup that doesn't include Lydon . . . . . What! He is our best player at 3 positions, how does that make sense? I know Roberson and Coleman are seniors but he is better than both at their positions so how in the heck does it make sense that not just one but both start over him? You have to make excuses for these guys to put them ahead of Lydon on the depth chart and call on seniority. The argument itself proves that Lydon should start over both of them. Popcorn and soda
Duh! I always enjoy the Boehiem does this and Boeheim won't do that spin all the experts spew. There is really only one thing "Boeheim does"...and that is play the best players. SU's starting lineup starts with Tyler Lydon and who are the 4 next best players. The only deviation from that is that either Coleman or Chukwa will start. My guess is that the next 3 best players are White, Battle and Gillon and if so that puts Lydon as the "4". Roberson is no where near the player Lydon is. If that means defense off the bench so be it.

Duh! I always enjoy the Boehiem does this and Boeheim won't do that spin all the experts spew. There is really only one thing "Boeheim does"...and that is play the best players. SU's starting lineup starts with Tyler Lydon and who are the 4 next best players. The only deviation from that is that either Coleman or Chukwa will start. My guess is that the next 3 best players are White, Battle and Gillon and if so that puts Lydon as the "4". Roberson is no where near the player Lydon is. If that means defense off the bench so be it.

I love your posts but playing the best players is different from starting the best players. JB has a track record of token starters. You know that. He doesn't always start the best but he gives the best the most minutes.

Our boy, Moyer, is going with #2 for this season...

image.jpeg

I love your posts but playing the best players is different from starting the best players. JB has a track record of token starters. You know that. He doesn't always start the best but he gives the best the most minutes.

100% correct!

We may see different line ups for different games. Best use of players for each situation. That would keep our foes guessing.

JB has always wanted to have an extremely long zone, this may not be the starting lineup but we could see a lot of it:
Battle
White
Roberson
Lydon
PC

We may see different line ups for different games. Best use of players for each situation. That would keep our foes guessing.

Maybe, but that is another non-JB thing to do. I think he will get comfortable with a rotation that has the same starters every game.

What a luxury it is to have 7 worthy starters. If everyone falls in to their roles and embraces them (big if), this rebuilding project (according to a very educated VCU fan, just might be lucky enough to make the NCAA Tournament.

What a luxury it is to have 7 worthy starters. If everyone falls in to their roles and embraces them (big if), this rebuilding project (according to a very educated VCU fan, just might be lucky enough to make the NCAA Tournament.

I am already looking at nit ticket prices, afterall a poster on the vcu forum said thats where we are headed.

I am already looking at nit ticket prices, afterall a poster on the vcu forum said thats where we are headed.
I'm just thankful to such knowledgeable fans. Being such a new school to the college basketball fraternity, I thought I knew a little bit about our team and college basketball in general. I learned alot from that guy.

The thing is he is our best front line player at every position, 3, 4, 5 he has to start because he can play them all. This argument is all about keeping both returning seniors as starters. Forget that they are seniors and returning starters and then things are easy and obvious.

Some would suggest that because he can play so many position so well that makes him the perfect person to bring off the bench to plug in where needed.

I hope he comes off the bench, honestly. I love when JB has an extraordinarily talented person coming in as the 6th man. I think it's a revolutionary coaching strategy. And psychologically I think it can F with another teams mind whether they're behind or ahead after a few minutes of play to know that the best player hasn't entered the game yet.

Our boy, Moyer, is going with #2 for this season...

Moyer is a committed team player. The kid has an amazing commitment to team. He has such great enthusiasm for everything Orange. I bet MM get's practically straight A's in school just because he believes it will help the team overall with GPA compliance. I sure hope MM becomes superstar with the Orange. How can you not like this kid with all his enthusiasm? And he plays the violin!

Moyer is a committed team player. The kid has an amazing commitment to team. He has such great enthusiasm for everything Orange. I bet MM get's practically straight A's in school just because he believes it will help the team overall with GPA compliance. I sure hope MM becomes superstar with the Orange. How can you not like this kid with all his enthusiasm? And he plays the violin!
I bet he gets straight A's because he wants to go into medicine.

A lot of people are chiming in with their thoughts on various lineup combos.

Here's my piece on all the possibilities JB can toy with:

SU Hoops: So Many Options – Otto's Grove

Terrific article, Vince--you nailed it. So many options, so much player versatility. JB has an embarrassment of riches on paper to work with this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom