Andrew White | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
This article lines up with a conversation I had with someone this weekend who’s gotten to know most of the players here the past few years. He said White was the nicest player he’s ever met. I hope he can be a part of BA next year if he’s not playing in the nba.

This article lines up with a conversation I had with someone this weekend who’s gotten to know most of the players here the past few years. He said White was the nicest player he’s ever met. I hope he can be a part of BA next year if he’s not playing in the nba.

I'm glad that TBT provides players like Gillon, White, etc. to connect more with the Syracuse fanbase, after being short-timers.

Ditto BJ Johnson [and although it didn't work out, McCullough if he plays in the future].

I remember Gillon saying last year that after the one season ended in NIT disappointment, he felt a little disconnected -- but being part of TBT really helped reinforce his connection to the Syracuse program and fanbase alike. Looks like more of the same for White in that article -- great to see.

I feel bad for White and Gillon. College basketball reference has that team being superior to a bunch of tournament teams

03-04
17-18
84-85
97-98
05-06
83-84
00-01
91-92

That team got off to a historically poor start in OOC play, prior to the lineup being adjusted. Too bad -- they beat three top 10 teams, and just needed to win one more game, and they would have been in.

I feel bad for White and Gillon. College basketball reference has that team being superior to a bunch of tournament teams

03-04
17-18
84-85
97-98
05-06
83-84
00-01
91-92

Amazing that it ranks higher than 04 or 01.

Amazing that it ranks higher than 04 or 01.

Yeah...I kind of think that the pre-Providence 2004 team would beat the White/Gillon team 8 out of 10 times. McNamara and Edelin would've had a huge advantage over Gillon and whoever the starting off-guard was (Howard? Battle? I honestly don't remember), Warrick would've abused everyone, and Forth/McNeil, despite the crap they got, were still better than any center in the last five seasons.

Not surprised to hear this at all. I remember watching his interviews during his year here and Andrew always came across tremendously. Seemed like just a great kid. Even during his time locally here at Kansas, everyone has very good things to say about him. Self was very outspoken about the kind of person he was when he transferred.

Yeah...I kind of think that the pre-Providence 2004 team would beat the White/Gillon team 8 out of 10 times. McNamara and Edelin would've had a huge advantage over Gillon and whoever the starting off-guard was (Howard? Battle? I honestly don't remember), Warrick would've abused everyone, and Forth/McNeil, despite the crap they got, were still better than any center in the last five seasons.

I'm trying to wrap my head around Pearl, Addison, Seikaly, Alexis, etc... going ahead that group. There would be new meaning of matador.

I'm trying to wrap my head around Pearl, Addison, Seikaly, Alexis, etc... going ahead that group. There would be new meaning of matador.

Wow, I didn't notice that team in the mix. Shows the limitation of econometrics...does anyone really believe Boeheim's 1985 team wouldn't beat any of these last half-dozen teams 9 out of 10 times?

98 was a pretty solid team too. 26-9 and sweet 16. Senior Burgan and Janulis, and then the soph. trio of Hart, Blackwell, Thomas. I’d put them and 04 solidly above those other teams. That 92 team was tough too. BET champs, and just missed sweet 16.

98 was a pretty solid team too. 26-9 and sweet 16. Senior Burgan and Janulis, and then the soph. trio of Hart, Blackwell, Thomas. I’d put them and 04 solidly above those other teams. That 92 team was tough too. BET champs, and just missed sweet 16.

I'd pretty much put every team before 2004 (except for the really crappy ones...2002, 1997, etc.) above every team from fall 2014 to present. The guys nowadays play defense better, I'll give them that. But man for man, 90% of the kids on earlier teams were just more skilled, complete basketball players. (Seriously, watch some Dave Siock clips and compare them to what recent centers have done. You'll weep.)

I should’ve included 98 with 04 and 01. They were top 25 pretty much the whole year.

I'd pretty much put every team before 2004 (except for the really crappy ones...2002, 1997, etc.) above every team from fall 2014 to present. The guys nowadays play defense better, I'll give them that. But man for man, 90% of the kids on earlier teams were just more skilled, complete basketball players. (Seriously, watch some Dave Siock clips and compare them to what recent centers have done. You'll weep.)

Agreed. Definitely more talent at the PG and C spots. What I would give for an Adrian Autry and Conrad McRae level PG/C...

That team got off to a historically poor start in OOC play, prior to the lineup being adjusted. Too bad -- they beat three top 10 teams, and just needed to win one more game, and they would have been in.
It's too bad that we went with the whole AW3 playing up top thing. He should have been playing the 3 to start the year. That team just couldn't defend.

It's too bad that we went with the whole AW3 playing up top thing. He should have been playing the 3 to start the year. That team just couldn't defend.

Between that and Frank struggling while the starter (and then getting injured), it took far too long for that team to find their best lineups, and they lost too many games while trying to figure that all out.

There were some low lows that season, for sure.
But some of the highest highs we've ever seen too!!
Total rollercoaster ride.

I met him when he first came to Syracuse that fall really fortunate to see him and his family daily for the first few weeks before he moved to his dorm

Every shot I saw AW3 take I thought would go; felt similar about Lydon but other than that in the 20+ years I can’t think of anyone else I felt like that about