Andrew Wiggins | Syracusefan.com

Andrew Wiggins

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
I just don't get it.

Outside of some gaudy rebounding numbers at times, and a few good games, I have yet to be impressed by him. The kid looks like Ben McLemore v.2 more than he looks like the next NBA superstar.

10-15 years ago he stays another year, becomes a superstar and goes #1. Now, who knows what he'll become.

He certainly doesn't take over games like Melo or Durant did. That's why the NBA needs to stop over valuing projected talent vs proven talent.

Shermthegeneral said:
He certainly doesn't take over games like Melo or Durant did. That's why the NBA needs to stop over valuing projected talent vs proven talent.

Is Wiggins Lebron 2.0, no, but he is very talented player who will probably be an all star in the NBA.

Who do you take over him in the draft outside 2-3 other guys? You guys make it sound like he shouldn't even be a lottery pick.

NBA scouts and GMs know what they're doing, the game is much much different than college. In an more open court Wiggins would dominate this level.

I saw him in the post season high school all-star games last year when people first started hyping him. He looked like a good prospect but that was it. Parker and Randall seemed more interesting.

Ouch
I see a great leaper, not a great basketball player. Seems like pundits and such make a lot of excuses for him, but Parker has shown dominance, and Randle has been a double-double machine, under the same scrutiny/expectation level.

Wiggins is the reason NBA types love the 1 and done rule. 10 years ago some team would've spent way too high a pick on Wiggins' potential.

Many here, including me, wondered what the big deal with James Harden was. Cuse beat his team and he did nothing. He also came up short in another high profile game (forget which). I've learned I'm not the talent evaluator I thought I once was. If the scouts drool, there is probably a reason for it. You can see what some of the fuss is about though- that play where he sailed out of bounds but still got the put back was impressive.

Jabari Parker is the best player in college. He should go #1. I can also see Embiid going #1 based on potential and the position he plays.

Count me in the group that has been extremely underwhelmed by wiggins. The guy is an awesome athlete, but hes not a great scorer, not a great shooter, not a great passer, and not a great rebounder. I'm sure he will be a good defender because he's so athletic, but his raw stats are underwhelming for college and I wouldn't be shocked if he had a below average rookie year in the NBA. At least when MCW went we knew he had a couple dominant skills (defense and passing). I don't know if Wiggins has any dominant skills, he just looks like a raw athlete to me.

I just don't get it.

Outside of some gaudy rebounding numbers at times, and a few good games, I have yet to be impressed by him. The kid looks like Ben McLemore v.2 more than he looks like the next NBA superstar.

10-15 years ago he stays another year, becomes a superstar and goes #1. Now, who knows what he'll become.

Last night was the first time I saw him play for an extended period of time this year. I don't know if I've seen a player his size that was so quick and fluid on the court. I was shocked to find out he was 6-8. He's fun to watch just running around the court.

Until a team other than the '04 Pistons wins a title without a HoF lock, I'd take my chances with the projected talent every time. That's why the NBA is boring.

He's Darius Miles 2.0. I'm not sold on him being "can't miss".

The Darius Miles story is a big reason why I'm not interested in the NBA. To wit:

"Under NBA rules, if a team is granted salary-cap relief for a career-ending injury to a player who thereafter participates in at least ten games the next season, the salary cap relief is terminated and the amount is added back to the team's salary cap ceiling.

On January 8, 2009, after Miles played six pre 2008-2009-season games with the Celtics and two before being released from a non-guaranteed contract by the Grizzlies, the Portland Trail Blazers threatened to sue any of the other 29 NBA teams that picked up Miles and played him specifically to adversely impact their salary cap and tax positions. In response, the NBA players' association threatened to file a grievance against the Trail Blazers. After a directive from the NBA Commissioner's office the next day declaring that any team could sign Miles and the League would approve the contract, the Memphis Grizzlies re-signed Miles on January 10, 2009 to a 10-day non-guaranteed contract. Miles then played the two games necessary to trigger re-addition of the $18 million to Portland's cap amount. Miles then re-signed two more 10-day contracts with the Grizzlies before being signed for the rest of the 2008–09 season on January 30, 2009." ~Wiki

The NBA doesn't give two sh!ts whether the "one and done's" prosper at the pro level because there are more coming every year. So, effectively, the NBA is eating its own young.

Last edited:
Did we think MCW would be rookie of the year? Like Wiggins, people thought MCW would thrive in the more open NBA.

However, count me in on those underwhelmed by Wiggins. Best prospect is Embiid who's a huge project/high bust potential or Parker who seems to be a poor mans Melo. Draft is crazy deep but not worth going tank commander over because there's no one at the top who's a transcendent talent. This isn't the 03 draft.

People rave over Aaron Gordon but I think Grant is just as good. Orange homerism probably but Gordon doesn't wow me at all.

Did we think MCW would be rookie of the year? Like Wiggins, people thought MCW would thrive in the more open NBA.

However, count me in on those underwhelmed by Wiggins. Best prospect is Embiid who's a huge project/high bust potential or Parker who seems to be a poor mans Melo. Draft is crazy deep but not worth going tank commander over because there's no one at the top who's a transcendent talent. This isn't the 03 draft.

People rave over Aaron Gordon but I think Grant is just as good. Orange homerism probably but Gordon doesn't wow me at all.

Wiggins and Gordon both "benefited" from pre-season comparisons to superstars before they'd played 1 minute of college ball. And lots of fans who hadn't seem them play bought into those comparisons.

That said, I think that Wiggins is going to be a pretty good pro. Less convinced about Gordon--he's got tweener size / game.

At least MCW had 2 dominant skills. Passing and defense. I haven't seen one dominant skill Wiggins possesses. Wiggins is shooting 43 percent from the field, 35 percent from 3 and averaging 6 rebounds a game. He was billed by some as the next lebron. He's not half as good. He is just an athlete at this point. I don't wanna hear how NBA GM's and Recruiting Scouts are so smart, because each year they are wrong about 50 percent of the time. It's like flipping a coin drafting these guys.

The guy Wiggins reminds me most of is a poor mans Wes Johnson. Wes was a better shooter but also a couple years older.

What are everyone's thoughts on McDermott in the NBA? I had never seen more than 3 or 4 of his games prior to this year, but with Creighton in the BE now, I have seen them quite a bit on FS1.

He's much better than I thought - I had him pegged as an Adam Morrison (great numbers in a crap conference), but he is better than that with solid athleticism, a good frame, and is REALLY skilled. He is as versatile a scorer as there has been in the college game in a while. He may not have the "potential" of Embiid, Wiggins, etc., but I guarantee he will make a more profound impact in year 1. I would not be surprised if he averaged 18+ ppg in year 1.

People say he should go based on his potential and athleticism alone. They reference guys that stuck around a year longer and hurt their draft stock. I suppose, if he's definitely top 5, he should go. However, I'll reference a recent guy that stuck around an extra year and was helped by it. Blake Griffin. He didn't get any more athletic between his freshman and sophomore year. What he did, was come back and dominate as a sophomore and make himself the number 1 pick. Their numbers are very similar too. Wiggins is averaging about 1.5 points more and 3 rebounds less.

i said this after i saw him at city of palms last year. the recruiting gurus crucified me. nice propsect but not a melo or durant.

I just don't get it.

10-15 years ago he was the #1 pick last June.

McDermott is gonna score points in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom