Another Uniform Thread... | Syracusefan.com

Another Uniform Thread...

55DC87AD-875D-4F9E-8B6C-FFAC4DE2C900.jpeg

I'm assuming/hoping we'll be able to hear the band better in the refurbished Dome?

Problem might be that our seats are right above them. Or that I'm older and more deaf (I know which one my wife would choose).

I'm assuming/hoping we'll be able to hear the band better in the refurbished Dome?

Problem might be that our seats are right above them. Or that I'm older and more deaf (I know which one my wife would choose).
I don't know if anyone knows what the Dome's acoustics will sound like yet, especially with a full building.

I don't know if anyone knows what the Dome's acoustics will sound like yet, especially with a full building.
The sound system is great. Don’t think that is going to change much going from 2K to 48K.

The interesting thing to me is whether the new roof will make crowd noise louder, more quiet, or the same.

I am no sound engineer but it seems to me a hard roof/rigid panels are going to reflect noise better, and absorb sound more poorly.

Hopefully we find out in the fall.

Has anyone heard the sound system?

The old one was a cavernous mess. That can be both acoustics and placement. Its not always bad for a band or crowd-natural reflections/reverberation. In terms of clarity, the ROOM can make things a hot mess... Unless treated - which would then adversely affect crowd noise.

Genuinely curious about this. The longer low frequency waves "gather" in the corners, phase stuff happens, and they "cancel" each other out, or sound farty, quiter, etc.(why there are corner Bass traps in studios, control rooms, concert halls, etc... ) Its EXACTLY the sound of the old sound system. High endy, incorrigible mess.. What I've always heard in the Dome. Tuba section didn't seem to suffer from this, though, cuz they weren't where the sound system was.

Thats why I'm asking. I hope like h3ll they hired an acoustics engineer, instead of just placing them where architecturally convenient. No speaker - regardless of cost- can magically fix a room. Only placement(treatment-not an option) can fix some rooms. I sincerely hope they've done the physics portion on this.

Has anyone heard the sound system?

The old one was a cavernous mess. That can be both acoustics and placement. Its not always bad for a band or crowd-natural reflections/reverberation. In terms of clarity, the ROOM can make things a hot mess... Unless treated - which would then adversely affect crowd noise.

Genuinely curious about this. The longer low frequency waves "gather" in the corners, phase stuff happens, and they "cancel" each other out, or sound farty, quiter, etc.(why there are corner Bass traps in studios, control rooms, concert halls, etc... ) Its EXACTLY the sound of the old sound system. High endy, incorrigible mess.. What I've always heard in the Dome. Tuba section didn't seem to suffer from this, though, cuz they weren't where the sound system was.

Thats why I'm asking. I hope like h3ll they hired an acoustics engineer, instead of just placing them where architecturally convenient. No speaker - regardless of cost- can magically fix a room. Only placement(treatment-not an option) can fix some rooms. I sincerely hope they've done the physics portion on this.
At the lacrosse games I went to, the sound system was dramatically improved. That is probably an understatement. Announcements were clear and easy to understand and the music that was played sounded crisp and clean.

I am not sure if they had acoustic engineers set the speakers up, but there are a lot of them up there and they sound great to my ears.

The sound system is great. Don’t think that is going to change much going from 2K to 48K.

The interesting thing to me is whether the new roof will make crowd noise louder, more quiet, or the same.

I am no sound engineer but it seems to me a hard roof/rigid panels are going to reflect noise better, and absorb sound more poorly.

I'm talking specifically about marching band. The echo off the Dome was something you couldn't practice for. Curious to see what the new roof does - I'd imagine it's far less acoustically harsh.

You've heard it? How is the voice clarity? Saw your follow up. AWESOME!

Everything below the roof should remain the same(cowd). (Yes, 2k should sound different than 40k, because the reflections off of a human are different than concrete, but we know thats good)

Like you, I'm no sound engineer, but I have worked on a bunch of home studios, and rehearsal spaces. We improved each one.. It's fascinating.

Example. Bell labs designed a room that was so perfectly acoustically deadening- that after a minute? You could hear yor own heart pumping, and the blood flowing through your veins... Folks freaked out. My Dad was an engineer there. When he was in the room,, he said it was one of the craziest things he's ever heard. (Or didn't, lol)

From a layman's perspective? I'll guess the old roof reflected less. That's good for bass. (Didnt help the old system- a low frequency mess) Its possible the low frequency could have more issues off of the metal portion. Fortunately, the human voice is generally mid frequency. The sine wave is shorter, and more difficult to mess up. Heck. The crowd noise may improve.

Great news on the sound system, Tom. Can't wait to hear the crowd.

I was told by a music/sound person that the way the air was manipulated to inflate the old roof made sound carry better

I'm talking specifically about marching band. The echo off the Dome was something you couldn't practice for. Curious to see what the new roof does - I'd imagine it's far less acoustically harsh.
The metal portion will be more reflective, less absorptive, than the old roof. That's only a potential issue for the Sousaphonists.. (new highly reflective corners- that can cancel low freq waves) Its a physics questions for a proper sound engineer, its also something that many home enthusiasts, and small recording studio's can tackle on their own. (The long wave low frequencies present the first lack of proper acoustic design)

Its a great question for students in engineering programs. (Sound or not) I'm a proud nerd. . I own 2 oscilloscopes.

Sutomcats report is promising, if you do not prefer the math. I'd guess the band will give it a go on the field before they go live. Often, that's more important than the math...

The metal portion will be more reflective, less absorptive, than the old roof. That's only a potential issue for the Sousaphonists.. (new highly reflective corners- that can cancel low freq waves) Its a physics questions for a proper sound engineer, its also something that many home enthusiasts, and small recording studio's can tackle on their own. (The long wave low frequencies present the first lack of proper acoustic design)

Its a great question for students in engineering programs. (Sound or not) I'm a proud nerd. . I own 2 oscilloscopes.

Sutomcats report is promising, if you do not prefer the math. I'd guess the band will give it a go on the field before they go live. Often, that's more important than the math...
The SUMB might not have practiced in the dome since the new roof was installed. Not sure. If they did, it was probably late in the spring.

Hoping to get some reports from band insiders on how the band sounds when/if the band does get a chance to play in the building. Watching film of them performing up at an empty field did not cut it last year. Insiders, please let us know what to expect.

I was told by a music/sound person that the way the air was manipulated to inflate the old roof made sound carry better
Not sure if that's true. The air pressure in a dome is indeed increased- leading one to believe its HARDER to transmit sound waves through a higher density of gas- but air is NOT an ideal gas. It can be more dependant on humidity, AND temperature. I think temperature is more key here, from my limited understanding.

That being said. Air pressure and humidity should be greatly reduced in the dome. I "think" lower temperature (and hopefully humidity) will aid in sound transmission. (Corrections welcome, but thats my current physics understanding)

If that's correct? Lower temp and humidity should AID in crowd noise( after the roof physics). While the opposing team may suffer less? (Heat) 12th man may get a boost. Im cool with that.

I remember a Clemson fan posting on Tigernet, they've never been in a louder stadium, dome(2019). I think there is a physics argument that we'll be LOUDER. It just so happens that I bring a decibel meter to the dome(proud geek :) ) , and I measured the 6th loudest sound ever recorded at a college stadium, during that game. The Clemson fan wasn't lying. I freaking measured it. Sadly, I only took a picture of my db meter when it was MUCH less (gladly post). Still a top 10 measured decibel reading, all time, from a college football stadium...

Corrections welcome from someone better than me(hobby), at the sound physics. For the moment, I think the lower temp and humidity will actually give us a BETTER home field advantage.

Interesting story about the dome acoustics. I used to work the sound board for a few games while in college. The assistant coaches would come up to the booth in pregame and tell me to turn up the music because the players couldnt hear it. I would do it and 5 minutes later someone else from dome staff would come by and make me turn it down because the fans were complaining it was too loud. I think the speakers were pointed towards the stand so that was part of the issue but place had some weird accoustifs regardless.

Everything below the roof should remain the same(cowd). (Yes, 2k should sound different than 40k, because the reflections off of a human are different than concrete, but we know thats good)

Like you, I'm no sound engineer, but I have worked on a bunch of home studios, and rehearsal spaces. We improved each one.. It's fascinating.

Example. Bell labs designed a room that was so perfectly acoustically deadening- that after a minute? You could hear yor own heart pumping, and the blood flowing through your veins... Folks freaked out. My Dad was an engineer there. When he was in the room,, he said it was one of the craziest things he's ever heard. (Or didn't, lol)

From a layman's perspective? I'll guess the old roof reflected less. That's good for bass. (Didnt help the old system- a low frequency mess) Its possible the low frequency could have more issues off of the metal portion. Fortunately, the human voice is generally mid frequency. The sine wave is shorter, and more difficult to mess up. Heck. The crowd noise may improve.

I live about ten minutes from there and have been in that room.
That whole place is amazing to me. They have an EGOT minus the Tony in their lobby museum. So much history there. More Nobel Prizes in that NJ building than most countries!

Sound travels faster in warmer air, Dies quicker. In higher humidity, it tends to reflect downwards off the water particles, towards the ground. Sound travels further in cooler and less humid air. (My understanding) Hopefully, a more reflective metal roof, lower temps and less humidity will reflect more db than any humidity advantage. Either way, the band should sound fine... ;-)

In terms of Db? Crystal Ball site has a list of highest recorded db by college football stadiums. Washington Huskies at #1. 133.6 db. Michigan #10 at 110 db. Calling ourselves the loud house, had me wondering, so I bring a db meter. If we really are that loud? Great for recruiting.

Clemson 2019. When the team ran on the field, we hit 124db. #6 on that list,, ahead of creepy valley.. I figured we'd be louder during the game - like usual- so I didn't take a pic. SMH. If it was a good game? We could have been in the 130's.
We stunk it up, so that was the loudest moment. Mid 2Q, Servais threw his hands up in the air trying to get the crowd back into it. 115.6db. Good for #8 on that list. Hopefully, the school can take more official readings, because its a recruiting advantage. Saying you're loud is nothing like PROVING it.

Screenshot_20210618-081518_Messenger.jpg

Many have NO idea that we can get crazy loud. On this list? They have us at #39. Thats ridiculous. I've already measured 2 top 10 readings. Sincerely hope the school uses the real db levels we can hit, so lists like this dont happen.

Sound travels faster in warmer air, Dies quicker. In higher humidity, it tends to reflect downwards off the water particles, towards the ground. Sound travels further in cooler and less humid air. (My understanding) Hopefully, a more reflective metal roof, lower temps and less humidity will reflect more db than any humidity advantage. Either way, the band should sound fine... ;-)

In terms of Db? Crystal Ball site has a list of highest recorded db by college football stadiums. Washington Huskies at #1. 133.6 db. Michigan #10 at 110 db. Calling ourselves the loud house, had me wondering, so I bring a db meter. If we really are that loud? Great for recruiting.

Clemson 2019. When the team ran on the field, we hit 124db. #6 on that list,, ahead of creepy valley.. I figured we'd be louder during the game - like usual- so I didn't take a pic. SMH. If it was a good game? We could have been in the 130's.
We stunk it up, so that was the loudest moment. Mid 2Q, Servais threw his hands up in the air trying to get the crowd back into it. 115.6db. Good for #8 on that list. Hopefully, the school can take more official readings, because its a recruiting advantage. Saying you're loud is nothing like PROVING it.

View attachment 202372

Many have NO idea that we can get crazy loud. On this list? They have us at #39. Thats ridiculous. I've already measured 2 top 10 readings. Sincerely hope the school uses the real db levels we can hit, so lists like this dont happen.

That big game boomer tweet is ridiculous, because, you know, science...

Found something I can link for db level.

View attachment 202372

Agreed. We can't not pursue an opportunity like this. Its easy and a great marketing and recruiting tool.

I live about ten minutes from there and have been in that room.
That whole place is amazing to me. They have an EGOT minus the Tony in their lobby museum. So much history there. More Nobel Prizes in that NJ building than most countries!
I used to work there, and have been in that room several times. The "floor" is just wire mesh. Super cool. So much history in that building. On my way to my office every day I passed the lab where the transistor was invented. I loved that.

I used to work there, and have been in that room several times. The "floor" is just wire mesh. Super cool. So much history in that building. On my way to my office every day I passed the lab where the transistor was invented. I loved that.
1947, point contact transistor, 1948 bipolar junction transistor. I only mention the date, because in my state, it took them 50 years to finally remove all the vacuum tubes from the former Bell offices...lol! They gave me a coffee mug to commemorate it...hahh.1998.

I still build guitar vacuum tube guitar amps, though. They sound WAY better. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom