Any chance | Syracusefan.com

Any chance

Could be worse...he could have been wearing his SU jersey.

I hope so.

Kids make mistakes - Carter-Williams and T. Hunt for those who forget.
they didn't burgle apartments, they tried to shoplift which is far less severe.

And wasn't it the apartment of a teammate? Not that it makes burglary worse, but as far as getting let back onto a team, I think that makes it a much harder sell.

I do agree, entering someone's home is much worse than shoplifting at a store.

They are both in the stealing category and not very good at all.

Hope not.

hope not?

what is the diff b/w he and MCW?

Other athletes to make mistakes prior to SU: Mccullough and Broyld.

That is 1 way to rationalize "ethics"

And wasn't it the apartment of a teammate? Not that it makes burglary worse, but as far as getting let back onto a team, I think that makes it a much harder sell.
I don't believe so. You may be merging events from Cater's incident with this one.

A real shame to see people discard great opportunities for $1000 in stolen merchandise.

hope not?

what is the diff b/w he and MCW?

Other athletes to make mistakes prior to SU: Mccullough and Broyld.

One's a felony and one's not even close to a misdemeanor.

On the other two, we have no idea why mccullough was dismissed, and broyld had his day in the justice system.

Hope not.
I hear ya. But you know the details matter and we don't have very many of them with this situation. Maybe this was a situation where pranks between teammates escalated and got out of hand - maybe it was supposed to be a joke and the stuff would be returned. maybe someone back home needed money really bad and these kids couldn't think of any other options. who knows.

But it does sound like he was just the 'look out' in this situation - something that with a decent lawyer you could very likely get away with. Based on the terms of probation detailed in the report, the judge felt leniency was in order.

this reminds me of a cousin of mine. He was a top soccer player in the state, solid student, and sort of a big man on campus so to speak in his high school - also was just an all around good dude, hung out with everyone didn't let people get picked on etc. During his senior year he was in a major car accident and suffered head trauma along with broken bones. He needed surgery that destroyed the soccer at a higher level dreams. He also had serious cognitive issues and unexplained raging (all of which went away eventually thankfully). He was depressed, started smoking a lot of pot and hanging around the guys who were never going to leave their little town. One night he was in the back of a car when his friend went in to the local convenience store with a bat and stole a couple cases of beer. This was two days after his 18th birthday. Bad lawyer, outcome is he's convicted of a felony. fast forward fifteen years, this guy has turned it around and is back to his old jovial upstanding self, he's got two masters and a PhD - and he cannot get a job outside of academia because of this conviction. And he hates academia. context matters, background information matters.

Maybe MPB deserves another chance and maybe he's just a thug who steels for fun. But it would be better to find out which before condemning the KID.

Yes, but theft is theft and kids are kids.

Good kids do dumb things.

If MPB is a good kid who made a mistake, then I say give him a chance and let him fix his life.

If MPB is a good kid who made a mistake, then I say give him a chance and let him fix his life.
I've done dumb things but I've never had an urge to go steal from my neighbor on South Campus

OrangePA I have to agree with you. It is too easy to "throw away" young people today without taking into consideration the nuances of each individual situation. Not everyone is "criminal" and college years are rought with stupid decisions/choices. Hopefully he learns/grows from this and can find a way to turn this deep personal disappointment into something of merit and grace.

GO ORANGE !

I hope so.

Kids make mistakes - Carter-Williams and T. Hunt for those who forget.

And even though I loved the guy, remember what Delone Carter did--and all was forgiven (football-wise anyway) in due time.

What would have happened to a Floyd Little in today's enviroment?
His NFL HOF speech is all about how others support is so very important in life.

Watch at 6:50...

"I have been favored by God and by those those who had a say in what happens to me today but the road was always not so easy or clear. I remember being a strong but angry young man in school and I used my stregnth in ways that became my weakness. After being kicked out of school I had reached an impass in my life. Everything was done. My hopes were shatttered and done.....and with the help of those who saw the good in me I was reenrolled bach in school.

GO ORANGE !

I know a lot of good people who as kids did very dumb things.

Their money and their status bailed them out.

If the kid is a good kid who did a dumb thing, give him another chance.

Well said, agree 100%. Case in point, Marcus Sales

If you lived in Booth Hall in the early 1970's you may find the Water Balloon article interesting.
GO ORANGE !