Any news... | Syracusefan.com

Any news...

Nahson

Your best friend
On today's scrimage? It was at 1:30 so I'd assume they're done. Anyone have any info?

Doug Marrone's Post-Practice Interview : August 18, 2012
Doug Marrone talks about the scrimmage game at Ft. Drum on Saturday. Photo by Frank Ordonez / The Post-Standard
Watch video

Fort Drum, NY – It was a beautiful day, breezy and warm with clouds high in the sky … but the football, it left a little to be desired.
“We’re not ready to play right now in game-like conditions,” Syracuse University head coach Doug Marrone said following his team’s first formal scrimmage of the preseason today.
The Orange, almost through a week of practices at this Army post north of Watertown, went through about a 97-play scrimmage, with officials, in front of several hundred military troops and their families at Sligh Field.
SU players ran through special teams practice and ran series of plays from various points on the field through a two-hour workout. The team will practice again Sunday morning before heading home.
While the offense scored five touchdowns and added a 36-yard field goal by junior Ross Krautman, there were five interceptions and a number of dropped passes and sacks yielded. Several of the TDs came when receivers were wide open.
“Obviously, we need to make vast improvement,” Marrone said.
The season opener against Northwestern is two weeks away.
Redshirt senior tight end David Stevens was the offensive star, with three TD catches, including a 35-yard catch and run on a pass from quarterback Ryan Nassib. Stevens also had TD catches of six and seven yards from Nassib and Loeb. He added a two-point conversion catch, as well.
Junior receiver Jarrod West made six catches, and freshman tailback Ashton Broyld run for a TD. Freshman wide receiver Ben Lewis made a beautiful diving TD catch on a 20-yard rainbow from sophomore quarterback Terrel Hunt.
Junior receiver Adrian Flemming, one of the standouts of preseason camp so far, went out early in the scrimmage after injuring his left ankle. The ankle was heavily wrapped as he was taken off the field on a cart. There was no immediate word on how severe the injury was.
Several players sat out with injuries, including strong safety Shamarko Thomas, receiver Keenan Hale and defensive tackle Jay Bromley. They were with the team but on the sidelines.
Several other players, including left tackle Justin Pugh, receiver Alec Lemon, offensive tackle Kristofer Curtis and cornerback Joe Nassib, were back in Syracuse receiving treatment for various injuries.
After the scrimmage, Marrone and SU presented six autographed Orange helmets to 10th Mountain Division personnel, including Maj. Gen. Mark Milley.
Marrone thanked the post for its hospitality during the week. Later, the coach said he’d certainly consider a return trip to spend a week training next preseason.

According to paper sit,Doug not all
On today's scrimage? It was at 1:30 so I'd assume they're done. Anyone have any info?
that happy which gives me concern at this stage of practice time. Two weeks from today is the kick off. Noon your time 9:AM mine.Coffee and bagels and a crying towel.:oops:

Hope Flemming is ok injury doesn't sound good.

According to paper sit,Doug not all
that happy which gives me concern at this stage of practice time. Two weeks from today is the kick off. Noon your time 9:AM mine.Coffee and bagels and a crying towel.:oops:
Cali, fly your orange flag high and leave the crying to women's baseball players. Win or lose, there's no crying in Syracuse football!

Cali, fly your orange flag high and leave the crying to women's baseball players. Win or lose, there's no crying in Syracuse football!
We're all cried out.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

im not sure that any ankle injury does not get heavily wrapped these days once they apply the ice..

Is anyone starting to think this 'we're not ready' thing might be an act by dougie. He better and the players need to be ready. I wondering if this is a guise to throw off NU and even more so USC?

Is anyone starting to think this 'we're not ready' thing might be an act by dougie. He better and the players need to be ready. I wondering if this is a guise to throw off NU and even more so USC?

Nah. We aren't ready. I think the Nassib O produced one TD (1st drive) when we started at our own 30-35. When we started with the ball at the D's 40, we didn't even get a FG attempt. This is all against our 2nd D mind you. If we get healthy and work out some kinks then we will execute better and have more drives like the 1st one. But right now to only score 7 points in 5-6 drives against the 2nd string D means you are nto ready.

Nah. We aren't ready. I think the Nassib O produced one TD (1st drive) when we started at our own 30-35. When we started with the ball at the D's 40, we didn't even get a FG attempt. This is all against our 2nd D mind you. If we get healthy and work out some kinks then we will execute better and have more drives like the 1st one. But right now to only score 7 points in 5-6 drives against the 2nd string D means you are nto ready.

If first string O only scored 1 TD against 2nd string D, does that mean the 2nd string O scored 4 times against the 1st team D?

That article does not leave me optimistic. We aren't in spring ball now- the season is two weeks away and if DM is telling the truth I think we will be in for a longer season than expected.
I was hoping the drops and blown coverages were a thing of the past but it sounds like they were plentiful in this scrimmage, not promising for either side of the ball. I know, I know it's only one scrimmage, and we were missing some players, blah, blah, blah.

Nah. We aren't ready. I think the Nassib O produced one TD (1st drive) when we started at our own 30-35. When we started with the ball at the D's 40, we didn't even get a FG attempt. This is all against our 2nd D mind you. If we get healthy and work out some kinks then we will execute better and have more drives like the 1st one. But right now to only score 7 points in 5-6 drives against the 2nd string D meaNs you are nto ready.

Then Hackett better start packing up his place. He's first to fall.

If first string O only scored 1 TD against 2nd string D, does that mean the 2nd string O scored 4 times against the 1st team D?

Loeb played with first team O. I believe he had a TD drive from the D's 40. The rest of the TDs were score on redzone drives. And even those were a struggle.

Then Hackett better start packing up his place. He's first to fall.

I don't think Hackett was the issue today. We have zero playmakers. We don't have a WR who can take one of those short passes and offer any YAC. We don't have a RB who can bust a long run. Which is why our best plays always come from the TE. On top of that we don't have a very good OL. I liked what I saw from Hackett today. We need to execute better. But even if we do it will be a struggle due to a lack of playmakers. I see long drives or short drives from this O. Not much in between, sorta like last year.

Loeb played with first team O. I believe he had a TD drive from the D's 40. The rest of the TDs were score on redzone drives. And even those were a struggle.

Like suthrills just said, my optimism is waning.

I don't think Hackett was the issue today. We have zero playmakers. We don't have a WR who can take one of those short passes and offer any YAC. We don't have a RB who can bust a long run. Which is why our best plays always come from the TE. On top of that we don't have a very good OL. I liked what I saw from Hackett today. We need to execute better. But even if we do it will be a struggle due to a lack of playmakers. I see long drives or short drives from this O. Not much in between, sorta like last year.

If we don't have playmakers to execute his current scheme, then scheme needs be to be adjusted to fit capabilities. We don't have time to hammer square peg into round hole.

Thank you for candid assessment. I was worried about this as several here got caught up in a 10-2 record.

King, im assuming you were there today? If we have limited playmakers, should we not put hunt back there and let him try to make some plays? This news just sucks

It's practice I mean game time you never know how it works out... Marrone is never going to say we look like a decent team... He also wants the kids to see it in the papers and hope its motivation. Hope Flemming is okay but I'll Judge two weeks from tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom