Anybody into board games? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody into board games?

Just to revive this a bit, some newer ones I've gotten into are Camel Up (finally, a board game to satisfy your inner degenerate gambler), Colt Express, Biblios, Reef, and Azul. I've bought a bunch I haven't played yet, like Fury of Dracula, The Quest for El Dorado, Blue Lagoon, Potion Explosion and Survive Space Attack. Since starting this thread Photosynthesis and the Fireball Island remake have both been really good. I also really like Tokaido. Anybody else come across anything interesting?

Just played Biblios the Dice Game tonight (though I like Biblios better), along with Goa, Raccoon Tycoon and Tudor. Azul is cool, but I think I prefer Azul Sintra more. Colt Express is hilarious with the right group. I love the card action mechanic in that game. Reef = Snoozefest :D

Just played Biblios the Dice Game tonight (thought I like Biblios better), along with Goa, Raccoon Tycoon and Tudor. Azul is cool, but I think I prefer Azul Sintra more. Colt Express is hilarious with the right group. I love the card action mechanic in that game. Reef = Snoozefest :D
Yeah, Colt Express is the kind of game that's more fun when stuff goes really, really wrong.

So wanted to revive this because we just got Wingspan and it's so good. It seems really complicated at first but makes perfect sense after a turn or two. I'm not really into engine building games usually, but it's so we'll designed and presented that everything really enhances the playing experience. Deeply satisfying if you pull off a win, but so fun you're not crushed if you don't. Just great all around.

Wingspan was good the first couple times I played it. Ended up selling my copy. Was a tad too boring. I love engine building games and Wingspan's just doesn't compare to some other games out there. That said, if someone asked me to play, I would. I do love the organizer cups and presentation.

if you like rolling dice we've killed many hours nights at the cottage playing LIAR'S DICE or SHUT the BOX.
like the best games both are quick to learn and years to master.

Last edited:
I know a few people at work that are really into board games! I hate those people.

Anyway, just get Electronic Detective - that's the only game that matters. It makes fun noises, you get to solve a case....and for the truly great detective, you can always pin the crime on that Al Farook **** (pictured below).

1580526690531.png

Acquire, an original 3M Bookshelf game from the 1960s, has always been #1 in our house. Has been re-published a number of times but currently out of print. If you can find a copy, play it ... you‘ll love it.

While not a classic old board game I love sports simulation games like Strat-o-Matic and APBA.
I grew up playing those games. Add Sixers-Celtics and you have my whole life.

Short list for me and the boy. Wife only plays Monopoly and Game of Life with us.
Dungeons and Dragons - I won’t get into too much detail, but we are on generation 3 of characters. The other 2 retired after level 20.
Risk
Monopoly
Game of Life
Texas holdem
Anyone know the college card game Palace?
Ditto on Feudal Wars or ‘Foodles’? Neither are drinking card games.
We busted out PS2 even though we have PS4
GTA San Andreas even though I tread lightly with this one with my son
SSX tricky
Time Splitters
Gauntlet!
Spy Hunter
NCAA game where I recreated the Carmelo team to my liking
Marvel Superheroes role playing game, geek!
James Bond role playing game but stopped that one in a hurry

Short list for me and the boy. Wife only plays Monopoly and Game of Life with us.
Dungeons and Dragons - I won’t get into too much detail, but we are on generation 3 of characters. The other 2 retired after level 20.
Risk
Monopoly
Game of Life
Texas holdem
Anyone know the college card game Palace?
Ditto on Feudal Wars or ‘Foodles’? Neither are drinking card games.
We busted out PS2 even though we have PS4
GTA San Andreas even though I tread lightly with this one with my son
SSX tricky
Time Splitters
Gauntlet!
Spy Hunter
NCAA game where I recreated the Carmelo team to my liking
Marvel Superheroes role playing game, geek!
James Bond role playing game but stopped that one in a hurry
Dude, if your wife only plays Life and Monopoly with you, you got to get her into the newer better stuff out there right now.

Dude, if your wife only plays Life and Monopoly with you, you got to get her into the newer better stuff out there right now.
They have other games my son and wife play with the in-laws, one is trivia related - sometimes I join in. But yeah, just imagine how many Dungeons and Dragons talks I’ve had with her. She ain’t one to budge, but again, our geekiness has no shame. Can’t believe I got married! But, we mostly kick things old school round these parts. That one’s on me. The boy has his own ‘new tech’ with his friends. My wife and I don’t go near their crazy banter.

Yeah I went to a board game conference before everything hit the fan, and I'll tell you, it ain't that.

You ain't kidding. Every once in a while, though...

BTW, which one did you go to?

Anyone play Rail Baron?

We used to play it on Strategic Alert in the USAF. Games would last for 4-8 hours.

I've played the re-implementation called Boxcars twice. Decent game, but can last a long time with all the dice rolling. I'm also not a fan of the ending as it becomes a race and chase.

Figured I'd bring this thread back... a buddy in the neighborhood and myself are working on creating some games together. We've taken the leap from playing to trying to design.

He's a good creative partner and we have a bunch of ideas and are focused on 3 right now, with one that we're close to being able to play test. We even found a board game designer's guild that miraculously meets just a few minutes away from our neighborhood. We've attended a meeting to test other people's games. Rule is you need to attend 3 and then other folks will test your game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom