Anyone actually taking that summer trip? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone actually taking that summer trip?

We are replacing our major summer plans with smaller drivable ones. Late June we spend a long weekend in Drivable cape May at a campground that has private cabins and lots of outdoors stuff. Generally Safe. Mid august doing 5 days at rehoboth beach (virus permitting). Worst case is lots of takeout and socially distanced beach time. Best case is, being dead of summer, virus is at enough of a low point that restaurants and other establishments can be open

Mentioned this in the spring thread, but our family is still planning on our yearly vacation to Lake George the last week of June. Spend most of the time outside, either lounging on the dock or boating. Yes there are about 20 of us but all families have individual cabins for sleeping. We usually have a big dinner each night that one family makes, so the host cabin can get pretty filled as everyone gets their food. That's probably the most congested it would get, outside of 8-10 people crammed on a boat. Even then, you're outside and with the wind tons of air flow. Who knows, maybe need to just be more aware of the cabin/dinner situation but like I said, I don't care if I have to spend time by myself the entire week, I'm getting my azz up there. Still about 7 weeks away, so we'll see where we are at by then!

Right now I'm using this to build up my PTO a bit/focus on paying for our first house.

My fantasy league is supposed to fly out to Vegas/Utah for our draft in late August but I'm nervous that isn't gonna end up happening. We'll see. Beyond that, the only plans I really had were to try to get up to Chicago for a Cubs game/to show friends that have never been there around but I think that one is almost certainly cancelled.

Got my trump check so now I can fully go shopping and buy everything that I need.
Did ya get the fancy paper check with his name on it? So sad that I missed out on that souvenir.

Did ya get the fancy paper check with his name on it? So sad that I missed out on that souvenir.
I got direct deposit but still got the letter. Didn’t even read it.

Mid July family trip to Inlet. Rented an Airbnb which we are already planning to sanitize upon arrival. Also have a golf trip up there in early September. With a little kid we didn’t have flight plans anyway so this ironically isn’t much of a change from last summer’s travel plans...

Looking for a nice ocean house to stay in possibly in July...Maybe the cape..

You should probably drive south unless your cool with being new normal’d. Parking lots fill up at 8am for cape beaches before this cant imagine what trying to get into one when they are only 50% open will be.

South Carolina Florida Texas and AL/MS gulf coast are where you wanna be. Unless you want nervy and sillyness and crowds because more people than ever are desperate to visit but everything is closed.

You should probably drive south unless your cool with being new normal’d. Parking lots fill up at 8am for cape beaches before this cant imagine what trying to get into one when they are only 50% open will be.

South Carolina Florida Texas and AL/MS gulf coast are where you wanna be. Unless you want nervy and sillyness and crowds because more people than ever are desperate to visit but everything is closed.

But the Cape is nice and all those other places are filled with the sorts of people who go to Florida and Texas and Mississippi...

But the Cape is nice and all those other places are filled with the sorts of people who go to Florida and Texas and Mississippi...
Not all of it only wellfleet out and it’s crowded. I go week before Labor Day when it’s not slammed. I hate vacation shamers and I almost moved in with someone who lives in aspen and took a few trips to Nantucket with a different girl. Rich folks are overrated.

I’m working on getting sent to work out of the Texas plant because I don’t see the sillyness ending in the northeast within the next 12 months

My SU roommates(2007) family has a house there. This isn’t my first rodeo at the cape. If we have a house near the beach with a pool that is all I need. If that didn’t work I would try fire island in NY. The south is the last place I we vacation unless it’s Miami which really isn’t the south.

Have fun.

It’s a big place and the pan handle is pretty far from the other cities.

We’ll never get back to our lives if people keep obsessing over a few nursing home folks. The hospitals are empty. I will take my rights. No thanks going somewhere that closes outdoor places.

It’s a big place and the pan handle is pretty far from the other cities.

We’ll never get back to our lives if people keep obsessing over a few nursing home folks. The hospitals are empty. I will take my rights. No thanks going somewhere that closes outdoor places.
Of course you will. I wonder if your grandparents are some of the "few nursing home folks".

Unbelievable.

Of course you will. I wonder if your grandparents are some of the "few nursing home folks".

Unbelievable.
This is a very emotional hot point for me.

I shared before. My Grandmother lived in Syracuse while I was in college. On Tipp Hill. She was late 80s and had slowed down and couldn’t drive and stuff every year I was there we tried to get her to stay with my mom but she wanted to be at her house and go to church at St Johns the Baptist. I drove her to church and Wegmans. I mean I’m lucky she never fell in the shower or anything those years there was no caregiver nothing like that happened. But again she was very elderly. High school pre SU she bought like 10 packages a day and the house was full of mail order stuff and had stopped driving for a while. She made it through my senior year in her house. Spent a year living with my mom after and then passed one month in a hospice. While I resided in her house post SU I sub taught in the Syracuse public schools. Would have stayed but there were ZERO jobs in Syracuse in 2008 and you can’t substitute teach forever. So I moved into my moms basement within a few months of her passing and that house was sold. I’d still be living in Syracuse rn if I could have got a job. Coleridge Ave next to the zoo and the park I love that house and the park and my church games at the Dome my friends I did not want to leave that house but that’s life.

But again forward situation to now. Would she be better off with caregivers who serve other elderly folks or her SU student grandson doing Wegmans runs and going to church and breakfast on sundays?

If she’s in a nursing home a visit from me doesn’t matter and right now they wouldn’t even let me in. It’s kind of a straw man argument passing to an elderly person. My Grandparents are the greatest generation too fought for all of us they’d be appalled by how soft everyone is being. Those were tough folks who saw a lot.

If I’m an SU student and my grandmother is in a home they lock me out and don’t let me see her right now.

But my family are tough people everyone stays in their home and rides it out. Greatest generation. I’m very humbled by the life my Grandparents gave me serving in WW2 and moving to Syracuse.

There was no way you were getting that lady away from her house and church. None.

Syracuse is an amazing place. Tough people GM (where my grandfather worked) GONE carrier GONE.

This isn’t Rochester where everyone is a douchebag were taking about Syracuse.

People want SU gone as an employer? You kidding me. You can’t keep that open? Let northeast rich people stick their brats in a dorm during quarantine so SU keeps employing everyone? Someone with a username on this forum is against that? When this corona stuff has no risk to young people?!?!?

I just booked a hotel in Myrtle Beach for Memorial Weekend. Not normally where we'd go, but SC has opened up and my boss gave the company Friday off. So I'm looking forward to some normal if that means 6 hours down and back trapped in a car with this same family.

With all due respect to the grandmas roaming the beaches in South Carolina, I had to stop my reign of terror on the grandmas in Virginia.

I just booked a hotel in Myrtle Beach for Memorial Weekend. Not normally where we'd go, but SC has opened up and my boss gave the company Friday off. So I'm looking forward to some normal if that means 6 hours down and back trapped in a car with this same family.

With all due respect to the grandmas roaming the beaches in South Carolina, I had to stop my reign of terror on the grandmas in Virginia.

It's not 6 hours. Well maybe now it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom