Anyone actually taking that summer trip? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone actually taking that summer trip?

I have been traveling for work constantly since the crap hit us. I was on travel in San Diego when this whole mess started. I’ve been to Biloxi and Norfolk for extended trips since. I head back to Norfolk next week followed by another long trip to San Diego. I can’t wait to not travel. I use to enjoy my travel days to and from to have a couple drinks, relax and decompress. Not anymore.

I went to Central Michigan, so had sort of Michigan roots. After college, I was employed by a cpa firm in NYC (Lybrand Ross Bros. and Montgomery. Copper Range was a copper company with mines in the Upper Penninsula and headquarteres in NYC. LRB&M were the auditors. I was a lowly first year guy and got assigned because I graduated from CMU. First thing I did was to take on the driving responsibilites. I was traveling with four New York City guys who couldn't drive on snow and ice.

The flight there was a long one. New York to Chicago then Noth Central, a puddle jumper from Chicago to the twin cities of Hurley Wi and Ironwood MI. The guy at the airport, wore several hats. Ticket agent, rented cars, handled luggage, directed the plane to the gate and wheeled out the stairs to the plane. We landed in every place that had a population over 30,000 people all the way up the west side of Lake Michigan. The mine was located in White Pine, Mi located a few miles south of Lake Superior.

What an adventure I had on that audit. Went to Hurley Wi on Saturday night. It was a former sin city of Chicago in th Al Capone era. Lots of laughs. I became an unoffical smelter.

To get a picture what the UP is like, look up "Anatomy of a Murder" I read the book and saw the movie. Great cast - and directed by Otto Preminger. Go here: Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - IMDb for a description of UP locacations

Very cool!

Yep, familiar with the Preminger movie but I guess I never knew it was filmed up there. Bleak scenery for sure.

I will fly to Phoenix soon. Have to overnight in Seattle since Alaska Airlines is only running 6 hour milk runs to the lower 48 or worse yet, Seattle via Anchorage. Will be driving to Tucson from Phoenix, which has been a hot spot. During the plague my fiance has flown from Phoenix to Juneau and back again. She flew first class and did not even get any food. Worse part is that the prepaid engagement ring is in a vault in Mumbai which has been in total lock-down for 2 months with no end in sight.

I will fly to Phoenix soon. Have to overnight in Seattle since Alaska Airlines is only running 6 hour milk runs to the lower 48 or worse yet, Seattle via Anchorage. Will be driving to Tucson from Phoenix, which has been a hot spot. During the plague my fiance has flown from Phoenix to Juneau and back again. She flew first class and did not even get any food. Worse part is that the prepaid engagement ring is in a vault in Mumbai which has been in total lock-down for 2 months with no end in sight.

I was wondering how flying was going to be. I finally hit MVP Gold and everything goes to crap.
Was hoping to be in Sitka in October for Whalefest, not looking good now

The whalefest organizer's husband is the author John Straley.

Update - ring got shipped today.

Received an email this week from the rental agency in Maine we rent from. Told us not to send in the balance of our rental fee until further notice. State of Maine has a 14 day quarantine for out of state residents in effect. We are scheduled the week of August 21-28 so it may be over by then. The house we rent is literally on Higgins beach and allows 12 guests which works for my wife and me and our kids and grandkids but is actually large enough and has bedrooms for 18 so there is plenty of space to spread out. We’ll have to see how it pans out and I’m not sure how I feel about going to restaurants while we are there but I sure want that therapeutic beach time.

100619483_10106099369681116_2028756423927660544_n.jpg

Has anyone taken any lengthy road trips? I'm wondering about basic things such as bathrooms.

Some of the trips I'm having canceled this summer (not considering domestic travel):
  • South Korea (Seoul)
  • Spain (Seville)
  • Sicily
  • Italy (Rome)
  • Austria (Vienna)
  • Australia
  • Germany (Munich and other trip to Berlin)
I'm sure a few more will come up. The Sicily and Vienna trips bother me the most. I love those places (hard not to love them).

These were basically for pleasure. It was supposed to be a busy few months of traveling.

Has anyone taken any lengthy road trips? I'm wondering about basic things such as bathrooms.

Some of the trips I'm having canceled this summer (not considering domestic travel):
  • South Korea (Seoul)
  • Spain (Seville)
  • Sicily
  • Italy (Rome)
  • Austria (Vienna)
  • Australia
I'm sure a few more will come up. The Sicily and Vienna trips bother me the most. I love those places (hard not to love them).

These were basically for pleasure. It was supposed to be a busy few months of traveling.
Jeez... heck of a spread

Drove 2 hours to Austin today. Had some brisket and was served my 1st beer by a stranger in 2+ months. 25% capacity stuff is odd but I was willing to give it a shot.

Nice. I stopped at a brewery recently and bought some cans to go. A lot of people were spread out in the parking lot, and the grass owned by the brewery with their own chairs. IMO, bars/breweries that have the land outside to pull it off should be allowed to go that route. Go inside(with mask) to get your beer - socially distance outside. Keep capacity limited both inside and out, and don’t let it become a free for all. IMO, this could work out in the summer at least.

• South Korea (Seoul)
  • Spain (Seville)
  • Sicily
  • Italy (Rome)
  • Austria (Vienna)
  • Australia

Had a trip to Greece in mid June that we postponed, even though they're claiming to be open on June 1. Was to fly through Frankfort, and heck knows what happens if a kid clocks a high temperature or something. Will try again next summer.

Nice. I stopped at a brewery recently and bought some cans to go. A lot of people were spread out in the parking lot, and the grass owned by the brewery with their own chairs. IMO, bars/breweries that have the land outside to pull it off should be allowed to go that route. Go inside(with mask) to get your beer - socially distance outside. Keep capacity limited both inside and out, and don’t let it become a free for all. IMO, this could work out in the summer at least.
It was a brewery. Spaced out line to order and then all picnic tables spread apart in the backyard. Never really came near anyone else but probably helped that it was rainy and low 70s.

Had a trip to Greece in mid June that we postponed, even though they're claiming to be open on June 1. Was to fly through Frankfort, and heck knows what happens if a kid clocks a high temperature or something. Will try again next summer.

yea just the thought of getting sick overseas is a nightmare in itself.

flying through Frankfurt? My guess is a luftansa flight?

Luftansa = best airline I've ever flown.

Stop in London first, or going directly over the pond?

Dulles - Frankfort - Athens.

Maybe next year.

I flew it once a long time ago, honestly it was a show. There were three hammered Latvian 20 somethings behind us completely unruly. The Germans idea of cutting them off was serving beer. The guy in front of me wouldn't push forward and empty seat, and when the plane landed it was a free for all...

Dulles - Frankfort - Athens.

Maybe next year.

I flew it once a long time ago, honestly it was a show. There were three hammered Latvian 20 somethings behind us completely unruly. The Germans idea of cutting them off was serving beer. The guy in front of me wouldn't push forward and empty seat, and when the plane landed it was a free for all...

One thing that I've done in the past is make sure to schedule a 23 hour layover in a city (Frankfurt isn't much to see, but you should be able to take a similar route through Munich). The 23 hour layover is a chance for you to visit the city "for free" (Other than hotel obviously).

Canceled our trip to France and the Adirondacks so far. We took the long route (down 1) from San Francisco to LA this past weekend. A few spots were open along Big Sur, there were very few people on the beach and on the road. The downside was that bathrooms at the vast majority of gas stations were closed. Also, the social distancing regulations varied dramatically on where you were. In Monterrey, masks were required and people followed the rules. We spent a night in Cambria and that was a whole different story. Dine in was allowed at restaurants and neither patrons or staff were wearing masks. Then in LA, everyone is wearing masks again, even when you're out on hikes.

Canceled our trip to France and the Adirondacks so far. We took the long route (down 1) from San Francisco to LA this past weekend. A few spots were open along Big Sur, there were very few people on the beach and on the road. The downside was that bathrooms at the vast majority of gas stations were closed. Also, the social distancing regulations varied dramatically on where you were. In Monterrey, masks were required and people followed the rules. We spent a night in Cambria and that was a whole different story. Dine in was allowed at restaurants and neither patrons or staff were wearing masks. Then in LA, everyone is wearing masks again, even when you're out on hikes.
Lived in Monterey for a few years and of all the places I've lived, that is the one I miss most.

I believe NYS campgrounds will be open June 7th!

Lived in Monterey for a few years and of all the places I've lived, that is the one I miss most.
It was my first time, such a gorgeous town. We stopped at the Bagel Kitchen (not sure how new or old this place was) for lunch and ate at a nice park. Definitely want to spend some more time there once things are closer to normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom