Anyone actually taking that summer trip? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone actually taking that summer trip?

That’s the plan. Lot of drinks to be had... I’d like to kayak at Sunrise one morning. Need to commit to waking up.
I'm always the same way with early morning fishing. It sounds pretty great, but it's nice in my bed.

I'm always the same way with early morning fishing. It sounds pretty great, but it's nice in my bed.
Never been a morning guy and likely will never be. Neither is my dad. Just how it is. But on vacation, I do my best to maximize the time. And with all this going on hell... might have to kayak the entire damn lake

Postponed til next year. North Myrtle still on for August.

I missed your original Yosemite post. We'd planned to go last year, but there was a snafu with our Half Dome hiking permit (we thought we got it, we didn't). So we bumped it to this September. Wouldn't you know, we actually did get our Half Dome permit this time. But now we're not going. Maybe next year the stars will align...

I missed your original Yosemite post. We'd planned to go last year, but there was a snafu with our Half Dome hiking permit (we thought we got it, we didn't). So we bumped it to this September. Wouldn't you know, we actually did get our Half Dome permit this time. But now we're not going. Maybe next year the stars will align...
Yeah with all the unknowns with the virus, my 87 year old father in law, and flight schedules changing we decided to put it off until next year. Hopefully things will be better.

I can't take it anymore. Driving over to New Orleans for July 4th. I'm content to get take out and walk around by the river, in the Quarter and in the Garden District with drink in hand.

Cape May announced they are allowing open container this year. We go July 4 for the week. This can only help.

We’re going to do a second trip. Thinking of doing Alex Bay, staying at Riveredge Resort for a week in August. Anyone have any thoughts on how much we’ll like it? Allows my family to visit a couple times during the week, they’re about 90 minutes away.

Last edited:
Cape May announced they are allowing open container this year. We do July 4 for the week. This can only help.

We’re going to do a second trip. Thinking of doing Alex Bay, staying at Riveredge Resort for a week in August. Anyone have any thoughts on how much we’ll like it? Allows my family to visit a couple times during the week, they’re about 90 minutes away.
I spend a bit of time in Alex Bay every summer. Was just up there last weekend. I was surprised by how many people were there. Uncle Sams boat tours is running. Do it. Cavallarios is the best restaurant. There is a couple of pizza joints for the kids. Clayton is 10 minutes away. Get Riverrat cheese there. And I had my honeymoon at the Riveredge. It burnt down (hmmmm) and they rebuilt a beautiful place

Cape May announced they are allowing open container this year. We go July 4 for the week. This can only help.

Sounds like we can expect stories

IMG_0451.jpg

This is how we'll be spending our vacations for the next year or two

Was at Home Depot getting paint for the interior of the van. I left the interior decorating up to her, because I'm just horrible at things like that, and a touch colorblind. We're standing there in front of all these paints and she says "well, we're gonna need some Orange". I shoulda proposed right there.

Orange.jpg

All this camping and outdoor adventure talk is getting me pumped. Not sure if it needed it, but made a separate thread:

Sweet ride man!
I was looking for a van similar to that all over this state and Washington the last few months. Let me know if you point that thing towards Alaska!
I caught the bug 2 years ago when we rented some guys van on our Alaska trip. I hope to get this one up there again one day.

Yours looks like a beast, even if it needs a little love. GTRV and sportsmobiles pop up from time to time.

Oh I’d swim regardless but the water is definitely colder some years than others. The last few weeks we have had some solid warm weather throughout the NE. Hope it continues. In my life we have had every sort of weather reasonably possible during my vacations there but we always cross our fingers hoping for no rain and warm weather. Couple years ago we actually made a fire in the cabin it was so chilly outside. That sucked. Have also been there during ridiculous heat and humidity. That’s more tolerable but less enjoyable than steady 70s/80s low humidity.

we’ll see. Can’t control it either way!
You're going to be in great shape. Was out on Lake Champlain last night, and it's warmed up to near 70 already, and with the temps forecast for this week, LG will be spectacular. LG is just under half as deep (200') as Lake Champlain (400')

You're going to be in great shape. Was out on Lake Champlain last night, and it's warmed up to near 70 already, and with the temps forecast for this week, LG will be spectacular. LG is just under half as deep (200') as Lake Champlain (400')
I remember a long long time ago I heard a story that a lake sturgeon made its way down into LG from Champlain. Crazy.

I remember a long long time ago I heard a story that a lake sturgeon made its way down into LG from Champlain. Crazy.
Lake Champlain hit 77 degrees yesterday. It’s amazing how quickly it’s warmed up. And the levels have dropped like crazy as well. We are near August levels now due to the lack of rain.

Where do you stay? The village?

Staying at the inn at Erlowest. We are driving to Altamont(outside Albany) on the 6th to go to Indian Ladder Farms Cidery and Brewery. My dads cousins son owns it and we have been wanting to go for a few years. Then we will head to LG after. On the 7th we will be driving to North Creek to bike the rails.

I'm not sure if anyone in this thread watches the Food Network, but my wife wants to go to one of the Restaurants shown on Summer Rush. We will probably go to Cates in Bolton Landing.

Staying at the inn at Erlowest. We are driving to Altamont(outside Albany) on the 6th to go to Indian Ladder Farms Cidery and Brewery. My dads cousins son owns it and we have been wanting to go for a few years. Then we will head to LG after. On the 7th we will be driving to North Creek to bike the rails.

I'm not sure if anyone in this thread watches the Food Network, but my wife wants to go to one of the Restaurants shown on Summer Rush. We will probably go to Cates in Bolton Landing.
Sounds like a good trip. Never even heard of Cates but Bolton Landing is where we stay.

New Orleans is one of my favorite places on Earth, but over July 4th holy crap. I feel like I'm sweating just reading that.
That would usually give me pause as well but lived in TX for the last year so it may actually be a few degrees cooler and walking drinks help keep things bearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom