Anyone actually taking that summer trip? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone actually taking that summer trip?

Terrible driving on my part resulted in me ripping apart my propeller on Saturday. Boating is done for the foreseeable future unfortunately. And of course it's going to be hot all week. I'm an idiot.

And I hadn't even had a beer yet.

One more instance in my life of rushing kicking my own ass.

This will be the first summer in over 40 years that I will not be spending a long weekend in Saratoga at the track...how sad

just returned to l.a. after a month in montana. yes, there is an indoor mask order and yes there is a nod toward social distancing, but nonetheless there remains a deep sense of normalcy in the treasure state. rafting, rock climbing, fishing, atv-ing - everything we would do on a normal vacation, all without masks. we intend to return for at least the fall semester if our son's school does not open for in-person learning (his school has applied for a state waiver in order to do so)

Did my first out of state travel last weekend, to drive to Syracuse for my twin grandsons birthday party. Took a little while to get used to the new travel ways. I usually stop at a McDonalds haflway and get breakfast and use the facilities. Only the drivethrough was open. Difficult to pee while going through the drivethrough.. Had to make adjustments. Great trip overall.

Southwest still with $87 each way flights to Mexico avail from Houston this week. Grabbed another one for Friday and going to stay in Cozumel or Tulum. Haven't finalized that part yet. Just too good to pass up when I can work from a terrace or rooftop pool staring at the turquoise water instead of my bedroom in the middle of Texas.

In order to travel to MA we need a negative Covid test within three days of arriving. In our part of NC the turnaround for test results is 5-10 days unless you’re admitted to a hospital. Vacation would be nearly over before we had results. So we’re driving to NY where we can get rapid testing without showing symptoms, then on to MA. Added two days to our trip to make this happen ...

Just got back from Cape Cod. Stayed in cottage in Eastham with family and SOs. Looked like Cape was at about 75 to 80 % activity. Cottages where we stayed were all full. Take out was fine for meals. Beaches were nice ( watch for sharks on the Ocean side)

We just did Bear Lake. Solid trip. The beach was surprisingly well social distanced. Stayed at a friend's family's place.

Southwest still with $87 each way flights to Mexico avail from Houston this week. Grabbed another one for Friday and going to stay in Cozumel or Tulum. Haven't finalized that part yet. Just too good to pass up when I can work from a terrace or rooftop pool staring at the turquoise water instead of my bedroom in the middle of Texas.
Ended up in Playa Del Carmen for 4 nights. Mask usage was not great, maybe 50%. Did not feel remotely as safe as in Cancun where it was essentially 100%. Restaurants were maybe following full protocols 50-75% of the time. Not great. Though I guess that's still about as good a job as here.

I’ve done Old Forge, Long Lake, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid this week. The Restaurants/bars that I’ve been to all seem to be trying hard and on top of things as far as following the rules. People have mostly been good. Seen a few dorks wearing the mask below the nose. That actually irks me more than people who don’t wear them at all. I don’t like passive aggressive, sneaky stuff. But most have had them on where they’re supposed to.

All these towns, and the other ones that I’ve driven through, seem to just be jammed with people. No events going on so people are looking for things to do outdoors, and lots of people that own camps can work from there and don’t have to go back and forth between home and camp, I suspect,

Was contemplating making a new thread with Fall/Winter in the title. Starting to get the itch again. Wife is pushing for St. Thomas in Nov in exchange for "letting me go" on a guys trip to Cabo in Feb.

Was contemplating making a new thread with Fall/Winter in the title. Starting to get the itch again. Wife is pushing for St. Thomas in Nov in exchange for "letting me go" on a guys trip to Cabo in Feb.

USVI just reopened I think in September. Wife and I are hoping for St. Johns before the end of the year.

Was going to book Sanibel or Marco Island for January. Now that they are opening Florida up I am holding up on pulling the trigger. (Time Share RCI )

USVI just reopened I think in September. Wife and I are hoping for St. Johns before the end of the year.
Love St. John A LOT. Ended up just booking a trip to visit friends in San Diego for a few nights. Can't beat 16k pts for 2 RT from BWI.

Had planned on flying to Vancouver and driving back to Ottawa......landed in Vancouver, then went to:

Victoria, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Toffffino, Vancouver, Whistler, Vancouver, Hope (where they filmed RAMBO!) Kelowna, Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, got to Regina and finally got bored and tired of the driving, ferries, company, went back to Calgary, as Winnipeg supposedly sucks, and flew home finally.....

As an avid indoorsmen, it was strange to be surrounded by so much nature. Western Canada has a serious shortage of Marriotts and way too many Best Westerns. Who knew they still existed - or that having a waterslide in your hotel was such a big attraction.

Had planned on flying to Vancouver and driving back to Ottawa...landed in Vancouver, then went to:

Victoria, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Toffffino, Vancouver, Whistler, Vancouver, Hope (where they filmed RAMBO!) Kelowna, Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, got to Regina and finally got bored and tired of the driving, ferries, company, went back to Calgary, as Winnipeg supposedly sucks, and flew home finally...

As an avid indoorsmen, it was strange to be surrounded by so much nature. Western Canada has a serious shortage of Marriotts and way too many Best Westerns. Who knew they still existed - or that having a waterslide in your hotel was such a big attraction.
The Pacific cost weirdly has a lot of Best Westerns on attractive pieces of property. When I moved to Monterey I was stunned to see the only hotel on the beach/bay was a Best Western.

Ended up in Playa Del Carmen for 4 nights. Mask usage was not great, maybe 50%. Did not feel remotely as safe as in Cancun where it was essentially 100%. Restaurants were maybe following full protocols 50-75% of the time. Not great. Though I guess that's still about as good a job as here.
Riviera Maya has been hit with 2 hurricanes in a row. I wonder how the area fared?

Riviera Maya has been hit with 2 hurricanes in a row. I wonder how the area fared?
I'm actually heading back in a couple weeks. Delta hit the day after I booked it so was nervous but reports are that it wasn't too bad. It mostly missed Cozumel and Playa and hit Puerto Morelos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom