Anyone apathetic? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone apathetic?

longislandcuse

Living Legend
I hate to admit this but I just don't care about this season.

CBB is losing its luster anyway given March Madness being the "end all be all" and zero familiarity with name players in the one and done/two and though era.

I didn't even watch the UVA game (uh, was it even on tv? I looked for a minute, couldn't find it, gave up and went out).

I've never been like this towards Cuse BBall in my life, but lately, I'm just bored. Bored with the stagnant offense. Bored with the zone defense. Bored of irrelevancy.

I really, really hope we're back next year because I'm entering Cuse Football level apathy.

I don't know if it's Syracuse, CBB in general, or both, because I never watch any other CBB games anymore. I watch non-Cuse CFB, along with the NBA and NFL but CBB.. meh.

To borrow the tree falling in the woods analogy, I just feel like if you have a CBB program and don't make the NCAAT, does it even exist?

Last edited:
I was last apathetic about SU basketball in 1964. Then Dave Bing and the boys started scoring 100 points a game.

I like to break down the season into four parts: the pre-conference season, during which we are evolving into the team we will be; the conference season during which we will try to win the regular season championship, (which is unofficial in the ACC); the conference tournament, during which we try to win the tournament and the NCAA tournament, in which we try to see how far we can go. There's also our 47 year streak of winning seasons, the second best ever, (UCLA had a streak of 54 in a row I'd like to catch. Also, i'd like to win enough games and big games along the way to not sweat out selection Sunday. in chronological order, I want to:

1) Be encouraged by the development and record of the team in the pre-conference.
2) Win game #17 so I know the streak will continue regardless of what else happens.
3) Win enough games and big games so we won't need to win a game in the ACC tournament to get into the Big Dance.
4) Win the conference regular season if that's still possible.
5) Win the conference tournament.
6) Be curious, rather than nervous on Selection Sunday.
7) Make it past the first weekend.
8) Make it past the second weekend.
9) Make it to the Final Four
10) Make History- again.

If we wind up in the NIT, i'd like to win that. It's something we've never done in 13 tries.

That keeps me interested the whole season.

Last edited:
Pretty much feel the same way... back in the day I would schedule my weeks around Syracuse hoops. Now I don’t make any real effort to watch the games even if I have spare time. Some of that is down to growing up and starting a family and having other priorities but the reality is that Syracuse hoops is boring and it feels like a chore to watch. It’s the same soap opera year in year out... players get Boeheimed, we only play 7, our offense is a shambles, our pace is molasses, etc. Everyone points to two final fours but the regular season games both those years were painful to watch. I find it harder and harder to commit the time anymore.

I'm not apathetic yet, but I am approaching it. I still get angry at bad calls at the end of games but I'm also not that disappointed when I don't get to watch a game. It doesn't help that college hoops is a terrible product nowadays thanks to all of the one/two and done players.

I hate to admit this but I just don't care about this season.

CBB is losing its luster anyway given March Madness being the "end all be all" and zero familiarity with name players in the one and done/two and though era.

I didn't even watch the UVA game (uh, was it even on tv? I looked for a minute, couldn't find it, gave up and went out).

I've never been like this towards Cuse BBall in my life, but lately, I'm just bored. Bored with the stagnant offense. Bored with the zone defense. Bored of irrelevancy.

I really, really hope we're back next year because I'm entering Cuse Football level apathy.

I don't know if it's Syracuse, CBB in general, or both, because I never watch any other CBB games anymore. I watch non-Cuse CFB, along with the NBA and NFL but CBB.. meh.

To borrow the tree falling in the woods analogy, I just feel like if you have a CBB program and don't make the NCAAT, does it even exist?
Well, I just came down with the flu today, so I can’t begin to tell you how apathetic I feel at the moment. (Had flu shot so hope this will be mild.) I rather dread some of the games. But I have season tickets, go to every game I can, and definitely schedule my social life around them. It’s very hard to be excited when your team is losing. I mean, we’re only human, right?

We used to be a place where great athletes would come and run the other team out of the gym. At the beginning of the season it looked like maybe, while we didn't run, we might have special athletes. That has since ground to a mind numbing offensive halt. Interesting guys on the way next year - maybe it will be different. What happened to rolling the ball out?

Yeah, said it in another thread after last game. Still watch a ton of CBB as the level of entertainment hasn't diminished generally, but Cuse hoops are a tad depressing. Even when we win I feel like it was a semi-painful experience...and that's been for years now.

I think the past two years have finally crushed me. I'll still watch every game that I can find on TV, but it doesn't kill me to miss one (whereas even two years ago I would be distraught). I don't even get nervous in close games any more. When Battle turned the ball over at the end of the ND game I kind of giggled and said, "that's who we are!"

Five years ago I would have thrown my couch out the window. We play such ugly, ugly, ugly basketball lately. Thank god for that FF run...if we missed the tourney that year, I can't imagine where'd we'd be. :(

I’ll never be apathetic about Cuse baketball. I recently rewatched the Duke game from last season in the Dome. I don’t know anyone could be apathetic that game. The non-conference last season was a sh17 show. But wins over Virginia, Florida State and Duke we’re so exciting! And NC State and Clemson too. If it wasn’t for the non-conference debacle, we would’ve easily made the tournament.

Not apathetic and can't relate to how you guys feel. SU basketball has been my favorite team of favorite teams since I was a 6th grader and they made the first Final Four run in 75. The anticipation of a new season, seeing the new players early in the season, whatever big wins they can pull off, and the several times a season I make it to the Dome are always highlights. It's big in getting me through these nasty winters we have. Then it's on to recruiting and wondering what next season brings.

Some seasons are better than others and most of them are really good and I enjoy them all

One of my complaints is that SU has 5 players on the floor but only 3 are allowed to shoot outside of 2 feet. Makes it much easier with 5 on 3. That falls on JB as you always see him pull Moyer if he misses a shot. I'm ready for JB to retire so I can see a different style with an arsenal of defensive formations. So many teams play a two/three now a days that it is no longer unique. Teams know how to beat it now.

I hate watching our team and what it’s become but I’ll never switch to watching the nba. It’s just boring. I’ll just watch more hockey until we’re relevant again.

Yup. Just lost 8nterest for the first time in many, many years. Rather ride my motorcycle and go fishing.

Reading this thread just shows college hoops is so inferior to college football.

Our brand of basketball is an awful product. The HC is trying to win games though and not trying to be aesthetically pleasing to watch.
I will say watched the UVA game and honestly knew what was going to happen and wasn’t frustrated.

Our product sucks. It has been for a while and college hoops in general the game has declined. Watching NBA games you see the decline of the college game.
I love Syracuse hoops but man have we been brutal to watch.

Go watch the 6 OT game and a game from 2 years ago.
The 09 team was a way better watch.

If Carey isn’t a true PG it’s going to be difficult next year as well.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with our offense but I still get excited to watch every game. I can't imagine having a game and not watching because I don't care. After 40 years of excellence I can show a little loyalty through some struggling. But every fan base has fair weather fans.

It's not being a "fairweather fan" to be sad to admit you don't care anymore. Clearly I post on the Syracuse Messageboard so it's not like I decided we suck, I'm going to find another team to pull for. Many of you know I'm a die hard Bills fan - I know what it's like to root endlessly for an awful football team.

Believe me, I wish I cared but I can't get myself to do it anymore. Maybe it has to do with living in the south where it's 60 degrees many days in the winter so it's not the only thing I look forward to (I say that since some of you mentioned the winters in Syracuse). ...but I don't think that's it. I'll always be a fan a Cuse Football and I try to watch games but I've been broken in my fandom there for a while. Unfortunately the same can be said for Cuse Basketball now. The only thing that matters in CBB is March Madness and if you're not going to the dance as a P5, you might as well close up shop. Those F4 runs were awesome and I went nuts, but the seasons sucked. Now the seasons suck and we aren't going to the dance. Never mind the fact our brand of basketball is a joke.

We recruit athletes, not ball players, yet don't play athletic basketball. We let every team we play dictate tempo. Our offense looks like an HS JV team and half the squad is afraid of getting benched ever year. Why tf does anyone want to watch that? Like someone above said, either be successful or be fun to watch...you can't be neither. This is now Year 2 of "neither" going on Year 5 or 6 of not being fun to watch.

I also used to watch big CBB games and looked forward to whoever was on Big Monday. Guess how much I care about CBB outside of Syracuse? Nada...until March Madness. So maybe it's not just a Syracuse issue but a CBB issue in which Syracuse is exacerbating the problem.

I'm proud to rep Syracuse. I have a framed Carrier Dome panorama in my office, Syracuse football helmet paper weights and Cuse coasters for my Agency. But, at some point, we need to look at ourselves, as a program, and decide if we want to be big boys or not. We've become a middle of the pack ACC Basketball program and a bottom of the barrel P5 Football Program. When people like me start to lose interest, then imagine how the actual fair weather fans feel.

I posted this thread because I'm worried. I'm worried about our 2 major programs and I'm worried that I've become apathetic. It's not a good feeling and I wish I didn't feel this way...I really do. This isn't a "look at me" post. This is me letting y'all know that I'm sad I feel this way but I think more and more do each year.

Last edited:
I think we may need a separate navel-gazing/hand-wringing forum to contain some of the views being expressed in this thread.

SU Basketball is the one team across all sports where my interest and fandom has never wavered. I wish I lived closer and could get to more games. I won't lie, I wish we were winning more games, but I'm not ready to abandon ship or throw the captain overboard because we've had a couple of mediocre seasons.

Maybe the NCAA sanctions hit their mark. Most teams that have sanctions put on them go into a major tailspin and are a non-factor for a decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom