Anyone been to Spain recently? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone been to Spain recently?

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
The wife and I decided this weekend that traveling without the boy is really therapeutic for our marriage. So, we'd like to hit Spain sometime this fall, maybe early September. Any and all recommendations will be welcomed.

The wife and I decided this weekend that traveling without the boy is really therapeutic for our marriage. So, we'd like to hit Spain sometime this fall, maybe early September. Any and all recommendations will be welcomed.

My wife has been to Barcelona four times, she loves it. Look for an AirBnB in El Born she says.

upload_2018-3-20_19-3-27.gif

I studied abroad in Salamanca a long time ago and was in Madrid last December. I love Spain and I've been around the country a bit. Downtown in Madrid is very walkable and there are several days worth of stuff if you get a hotel near the Plaza Mayor. Toledo isn't far from Madrid and is super cool. The old Roman aqueduct in Segovia is amazing. If you go to Barcelona definitely see La Sacrada Familia. It is touristy but I spent a great evening eating and drinking outside on Las Ramblas. The Mediterranean coast is nice but there are lots of British and German tourists, which waters down the cultural experience a little. Granada and Seville are both gorgeous. If I were to go back I would travel along the north coast and then into the Pyrenees. It's off the beaten path and there are lots of cool fishing towns up there.
The best advice I can give is to eat and take your time doing it. Go to a tapas bar, grab a glass of red wine and eat whatever they recommend. Don't leave without getting some tortilla and cafe con leche. I'm happy to answer any questions that you have. I'm jealous.

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I have not been to Spain but wanted to give you a +1 for traveling as a couple without the kid. My wife and I started that 2 years ago and it has been fantastic. We get two trips a year. One family vacation with the kids and one adults only.

I have not been to Spain but wanted to give you a +1 for traveling as a couple without the kid. My wife and I started that 2 years ago and it has been fantastic. We get two trips a year. One family vacation with the kids and one adults only.

So important to our 'mental health' as well. I love my kid, but he can be a pain in the ass. Add in the stress of travel and it gets miserable.

So important to our 'mental health' as well. I love my kid, but he can be a pain in the ass. Add in the stress of travel and it gets miserable.

That and the places kids like to go differ from what you and your wife like.

That and the places kids like to go differ from what you and your wife like.

Absolutely. My wife could spend all day at a museum. My 14-year old just doesn't have that kind of attention span. Which means I end up babysitting him while she wanders and then she complains he's not getting enough out of it. I'd love to eventually take my kid to places like Greece and Spain, but he needs to 'evolve' a bit more before I spend the money to do that.

Plus, I'm all about getting a nice dinner and a few drinks taking my time, as suggested by Conrad above. Can't really do that everywhere with a kid.

Whenever we go away, I do the research and then do a presentation for my wife to get her feedback. After I saw the movie "Vicky Christina Barcelona" I put it on my list. Maybe it had something to do with Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz. Anyways, our trip plans evolved and we went to the Canary Islands instead. Quite the interesting place. Still haven't been to Barcelona and it's still on my list. Hope you make it there and enjoy it.

I studied abroad in Salamanca a long time ago and was in Madrid last December. I love Spain and I've been around the country a bit. Downtown in Madrid is very walkable and there are several days worth of stuff if you get a hotel near the Plaza Mayor. Toledo isn't far from Madrid and is super cool. The old Roman aqueduct in Segovia is amazing. If you go to Barcelona definitely see La Sacrada Familia. It is touristy but I spent a great evening eating and drinking outside on Las Ramblas. The Mediterranean coast is nice but there are lots of British and German tourists, which waters down the cultural experience a little. Granada and Seville are both gorgeous. If I were to go back I would travel along the north coast and then into the Pyrenees. It's off the beaten path and there are lots of cool fishing towns up there.
The best advice I can give is to eat and take your time doing it. Go to a tapas bar, grab a glass of red wine and eat whatever they recommend. Don't leave without getting some tortilla and cafe con leche. I'm happy to answer any questions that you have. I'm jealous.
Heading to Madrid in a few hours and staying in Salamanca for a couple nights.

Enjoy! The Plaza Mayor in Salamanca is one of my favorite places in the world.
I spent a few weeks in Salamanca a few years back. Take a train to Avila. It is a very cool city. While in Salamanca, check out the "Astronaut" on the church.

Heading to Madrid in a few hours and staying in Salamanca for a couple nights.

Madrid is awesome. Went in fall 2019. Lovely place. Great food to be had and plenty of vino tinto (red wine).

I can only speak to Barcelona and San Sebastian so no help with a Madrid trip, but good lord the food in San Sebastian was insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom