Anyone have any experience with Youtube TV | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have any experience with Youtube TV

Brian Orange

2nd String
Thoughts on Youtube TV - pros, cons, etc. Just started kicking around the idea.

Yeah, I've had it for over a year. I've tried just about all of the streaming services and I think it's the best available. I had Sony's streaming service but they cancelled it which caused me to switch to YouTube TV. The DVR is one of it's strengths as you can save as much content as you like in the cloud. What's even nicer is that once you set something up to be recorded (i.e. college basketball, golf, NBA, etc.), it will record all airings automatically so you don't have to remember to do so. That feature bails me out a lot.

The only con that I can think of is that the price seems to continue to go up. It's costly for a streaming service. However, as much as I watch sports on TV, it's worth it (until a competitor makes a compelling reason to switch). I just convinced my parents (in their early 80s) to cut the cord which was costing them over $200 a month. My mom, who is averse to technology and learning new things, even made the transition with ease. You can always do a trial to see if it works for you. I think they offer a 7 day trial.

Love it. I agree about the above comments regarding the DVR. One thing that tipped me to them when doing my research: All the major networks were LOCAL AND RECORDABLE. Alot of the competition have ON DEMAND on say ABC for example, and some of the ones that are locals say NON RECORDABLE (or something to that effect) in the fine print regarding DVR services.

I wouldn't spend a dime on any streaming service that didn't have EVERYTHING recordable - that would be no bueno. This weekend, I had NBC recorded to capture golf. I watch most golf tournaments in the evening so I can play golf and spend time with the family during the day and then when I watch, I can fast forward through commercials. it's great. Therefore, when you're comparing or trying out streaming services, aside from wanting the ability to record, I would also strongly suggest you also make sure you can fast forward through recordings. Having to sit through recorded commercials would be agonizing.

Love it. I agree about the above comments regarding the DVR. One thing that tipped me to them when doing my research: All the major networks were LOCAL AND RECORDABLE. Alot of the competition have ON DEMAND on say ABC for example, and some of the ones that are locals say NON RECORDABLE (or something to that effect) in the fine print regarding DVR services.
Not for nothing, but I am proud to say I have never recorded a TV show: nothing is that important.

Not for nothing, but I am proud to say I have never recorded a TV show: nothing is that important.
tenor.gif

That's cool, but for me, recording allows me to spend time with people who are much more important than tv. I record sports all the time so I can watch in the evening and spend time with the family during the day.

The only things I don't like about YouTube TV is that they don't have all the sub-channels of the local TV stations and they don't have A&E Network (I'm a First 48 addict).

So I'm a directv customer about to quit
I'm on a 5 day free youtube trial

So far here's my only beef. And maybe you veterans can teach me how to do this..

It doesn't seem like you can record a program from the live guide without actually tuning in and then selecting "add"

Since I watch mostly sports.. if a game is going on and I want to record it for later ... you must first tune in...this is a spoiler and I don't like it

Also. The FF and remind are only available in 15 second increments on the TV apps?

So I'm a directv customer about to quit
I'm on a 5 day free youtube trial

So far here's my only beef. And maybe you veterans can teach me how to do this..

It doesn't seem like you can record a program from the live guide without actually tuning in and then selecting "add"

Since I watch mostly sports.. if a game is going on and I want to record it for later ... you must first tune in...this is a spoiler and I don't like it

Also. The FF and remind are only available in 15 second increments on the TV apps?
Search for the team you want to follow, and there's an option to record all of the team's games automatically.

$65 a month.
Yup..thats without any add ons like HBO (14.99) ...with the add ons the price quickly reaches up to cable levels. But still far short of the thieves of directv who charge you for dvr and every box in your house

Day 3 with you tube tv and so far so good ...I'm likely going to cancel directv when this free trial is over .. i have 1gb internet so there isn't much lag at all...direct TV also has a lag . I hooked up an apple tv to my television without smart functions and I'll say it works better with youtube TV than my smart TV with the youtube tv AP pre-installed

Yup..thats without any add ons like HBO (14.99) ...with the add ons the price quickly reaches up to cable levels. But still far short of the thieves of directv who charge you for dvr and every box in your house
Yeah, I’m kindve at a point right now where I’ve seen everything I want to see that’s on HBO, so not a factor for me. When that new season of Curb starts, I’ll spring for it for a few months.

I love the month to month flexibility. I’ll even shut it down for a couple months and save $130
if we’re in between sports seasons that I care about or something. Matter of fact, if Cuse football loses to Ohio, I’ll put a lid on it until NBA starts.

Yeah, I’m kindve at a point right now where I’ve seen everything I want to see that’s on HBO, so not a factor for me. When that new season of Curb starts, I’ll spring for it for a few months.

I love the month to month flexibility. I’ll even shut it down for a couple months and save $130
if we’re in between sports seasons that I care about or something. Matter of fact, if Cuse football loses to Ohio, I’ll put a lid on it until NBA starts.

The no contract and month to month nature is def a plus ...I mostly watch sports and hbo ...the basic plan is full of crap I don't need but my wife will murder me in my sleep if we don't have Bravo and E

The no contract and month to month nature is def a plus ...I mostly watch sports and hbo ...the basic plan is full of crap I don't need but my wife will murder me in my sleep if we don't have Bravo and E
Yeah you and me both. We don’t watch 90% of the channels, but you get that with any of the services.

I’m back and forth between two places, so it’s beyond clutch to be able to stream and not have to pay for two separate cable packages.

It’s also incredibly reliable to watch on my phone/tablet when I’m out and about.

It does seem to drop on a few stations when streaming on my tv’s… not frequently, but I’ll be watching a game and it just buffers/black screen for 10 seconds and then goes right back to where it left off. Annoying, but a small price to pay for the convenience and cost savings.

I’m back and forth between two places, so it’s beyond clutch to be able to stream and not have to pay for two separate cable packages.

It’s also incredibly reliable to watch on my phone/tablet when I’m out and about.

It does seem to drop on a few stations when streaming on my tv’s… not frequently, but I’ll be watching a game and it just buffers/black screen for 10 seconds and then goes right back to where it left off. Annoying, but a small price to pay for the convenience and cost savings.
That’s surprising. In two years I’ve never had a hiccup.

That’s surprising. In two years I’ve never had a hiccup.
You have a hard ethernet wire connection from your router to the TV ?

How much is YouTube TV?
Looks like they’ve got it for 54.99 for the first 3 months, now. I went to the website to pause my membership until NBA starts, and noticed them advertising that deal.

So update ... I recorded the Chelsea / liverpool and Illinois / Nebraska games which were on the 4k networks ( I'm on a 30 day free trial with the 4k package )

I have an 82 inch ultra HD samsung... and games were unwatchable...this crazy pixelation artifact would keep manifesting...I had the "STATS for nerds" settings on and my internet speed never dripped below 30 mbps.. so I don't know What the deal is ...

So then I went to my upstairs samsung tv
And the pixel artifact was gone but it wouldn't play above 1900 x 1200 (1080 p)...its all streaming so cables aren't the issue nor is internet speed

Probably some samsung TV setting is
incompatible with youtube tvs 4k

So update ... I recorded the Chelsea / liverpool and Illinois / Nebraska games which were on the 4k networks ( I'm on a 30 day free trial with the 4k package )

I have an 82 inch ultra HD samsung... and games were unwatchable...this crazy pixelation artifact would keep manifesting...I had the "STATS for nerds" settings on and my internet speed never dripped below 30 mbps.. so I don't know What the deal is ...

So then I went to my upstairs samsung tv
And the pixel artifact was gone but it wouldn't play above 1900 x 1200 (1080 p)...its all streaming so cables aren't the issue nor is internet speed

Probably some samsung TV setting is
incompatible with youtube tvs 4k
30mbps for 4k is pretty close to the lowest that would begin to work though. 25 is the Min and the more action the more it requires more like 32..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom