Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

Agree. 40,000 is too small. And if it doesn't include better tailgating, it's a waste of time.

But, wait, they said it would include a parking garage. Wow!!!

45,000 to 50,000 would be ideal but 40,000 would work. Here's a comparison of our private university peers:

Wake Forest – 31,500
Duke – 33,941
Vanderbilt – 39,790
Boston College – 44,500
Northwestern – 47,130
CARRIER DOME – 49,250
Stanford – 50,000
Baylor – 50,000 (new stadium being build with 45,000 capacity but expandable to 55,000)
BYU – 63,725
Miami – 75,504
Notre Dame – 80,795
USC - 93,607

Last edited:
A new stadium is inevitable. The thing I don't like about that rumor in the article is that it would be down town versus South Campus. Maybe it's the only way to make it happen from a funding standpoint.

Attendance would be much better if the seats were actually seats instead of a flat bench with no room. Americans are not getting smaller anytime soon and don't want to be crushed together like sardines. It needs to have 55,000 comfortable seats for football with ample parking for tailgating or don't do it.

How can there be a "political buzz" about the project if Miner, Mahoney, and DeFrancisco don't know anything about it.

As long as the Post-Standard is throwing darts against the wall hoping that something sticks ... why not say that the new facility could include a monorail and free pony rides?

How can there be a "political buzz" about the project if Miner, Mahoney, and DeFrancisco don't know anything about it.

As long as the Post-Standard is throwing darts against the wall hoping that something sticks ... why not say that the new facility could include a monorail and free pony rides?
To be sure, they are using technical differences to avoid answering the questions. They don't know any "specific" plans regarding a new facility. This leaves speculation wide open to the fact that planning is occurring.

A new stadium is inevitable. The thing I don't like about that rumor in the article is that it would be down town versus South Campus. Maybe it's the only way to make it happen from a funding standpoint.
I was thinking about that, too. It may be that the politicos will not allow State/County money to be used if they cannot use the facility, too. If that is the case, Syracuse would be better served building their own facility on South Campus and a public facility being built on a much smaller scale than 40,000 seats for other events, perhaps in the 15,000 seat range for concerts and hockey and such.

1381507121899.jpg

I'm sure most of them can't or won't talk about it, so they give the next best answer. Heck, Gross even is quoted as saying a lot of good people have been working on it.

If the Dome can hold basketball crowds of 34,000+ ... how many basketball seats would be available in a 40,000 seat football stadium? Have to be in the 25,000 range???

However, if the City/County/State/SU/Crunch wanted to partner up on a new 25,000 seat basketball/hockey/concert venue (and leave the Dome for Football & LAX), that might be interesting.

Downtown, E. Fayette?

Insane.

If this would ever happen, the inner harbor area would be the place to do it. Already a ton of parking with the mall outer lots

Too far from campus though?

They can't even get an IPF built for football without many roadblocks and it taking forever and now they want to build a new stadium/arena?

Hey look I'm all for it if they can pull it off, I just don't see it happening.

They can't even get an IPF built for football and now they want to build a new stadium/arena?

Big big difference. IPF is 100% University only. This is clearly a multi-constituency effort of private and public.

They can't even get an IPF built for football and now they want to build a new stadium/arena?

It's 2 different "they's".

Big big difference. IPF is 100% University only. This is clearly a multi-constituency effort of private and public.
Which makes it more complicated and presents many more roadblocks

You beat me by a millisecond.

If the Dome can hold basketball crowds of 34,000+ ... how many basketball seats would be available in a 40,000 seat football stadium? Have to be in the 25,000 range???

However, if the City/County/State/SU/Crunch wanted to partner up on a new 25,000 seat basketball/hockey/concert venue (and leave the Dome for Football & LAX), that might be interesting.

Several years ago Dolgen wanted to partner with SU for a 25000 seat basketball and hockey arena.