anyone make the drive to ocean city,md? | Syracusefan.com

anyone make the drive to ocean city,md?

Chris02M

Football Schedule Maven
was wondering if anyone has made the drive and can provide tips?

I've done that drive a number of times. Will be making it in August this year as well. What kind of tips are you looking for?

I've done that drive a number of times. Will be making it in August this year as well. What kind of tips are you looking for?
like any do not go this way type things from upstate ny

Assuming you are coming in from North of Philadelphia, I would try and time things so when you drive by Philly, it is not rush hour.
thinking it will be mid afternoon

like any do not go this way type things from upstate ny

We always take 81 to 476 to 95 to Rt 1. It’s tough to do anything different than that because you end up having to go pretty out of the way. I’ve heard construction on 81 around the Scranton era is pretty bad again (what else is new?) but there aren’t really any options to avoid it. L

As sutomcat said, making sure you’re going through the Philly area during non-peak times is really key. Additionally, you don’t want to be on Route 1 heading into OC during peak times either. That can be a nightmare, since it’s a ground-level highway with intersections/traffic lights.

We always take 81 to 476 to 95 to Rt 1. It’s tough to do anything different than that because you end up having to go pretty out of the way. I’ve heard construction on 81 around the Scranton era is pretty bad again (what else is new?) but there aren’t really any options to avoid it. L

As sutomcat said, making sure you’re going through the Philly area during non-peak times is really key. Additionally, you don’t want to be on Route 1 heading into OC during peak times either. That can be a nightmare, since it’s a ground-level highway with intersections/traffic lights.
I live a little north of OC in DE, and have made this trip literally >100 times. I would echo this advice, in particular, getting through the 476/95/Rte 1 segment before the late afternoon rush hour starts (3 PM). I would also caution that this stretch doesn't have any convenient places to get gas or food, or take a leak, without a time-consuming detour off the highway. My suggestion would be to leave early, with a goal/reward of enjoying happy hour on the beach in OC.
The ocean temp is currently around 55, which is like July in Maine, but still a bit chilly for swimming IMO.

Last edited:
I live a little north of OC in DE, and have made this trip literally >100 times. I would echo this advice, in particular, getting through the 476/95/Rte 1 segment before the late afternoon rush hour starts (3 PM). I would also caution that this stretch doesn't have any convenient places to get gas or food, or take a leak, without an inconvenient, time-consuming detour off the highway. My suggestion would be to leave early, with a goal/reward of enjoying happy hour on the beach in OC.
The ocean temp is currently around 55, which is like July in Maine, but still a bit chilly for swimming IMO.

A number of years back, my friends and I started leaving after work the night before our vacation and stopping somewhere outside of Philly for the night (usually Wilmington). Yeah, it added some cost to the trip having to stay in a hotel an extra night, but man it's so nice to avoid the Philly rush hour and then get up the next morning and just coast into OC before lunch with barely any traffic. Downside to that is that we usually can't check into our place until 3 or 4, so we post up at a water table at Seacrets and drink way more than we should in the afternoon.

Several times. But guessing you're not doing it from DC.

If you are, that stretch from Annapolis to the other side of the Bay Bridge in the summer is what I refer to as 'the worst thing ever'.

A number of years back, my friends and I started leaving after work the night before our vacation and stopping somewhere outside of Philly for the night (usually Wilmington). Yeah, it added some cost to the trip having to stay in a hotel an extra night, but man it's so nice to avoid the Philly rush hour and then get up the next morning and just coast into OC before lunch with barely any traffic. Downside to that is that we usually can't check into our place until 3 or 4, so we post up at a water table at Seacrets and drink way more than we should in the afternoon.
yea check in isnt until after 4pm

If you're able to, I'd say shoot for arriving around 1-2. Grab a bite to eat, stroll the boardwalk and then it will be time to check in.

I would recommend the Delaware beaches just a little bit north like Rehoboth, Dewey and Bethany. Just a nicer, cleaner, quieter vibe without the Spring Break element.

Obviously if you're looking for the Spring Break element, OC is your place.

made it here safely ,avoided philly traffic but took scenic route into the city so it took a bit longer ~7 from leaving to arrival minus a lunch stop just outside philly

81 to the turnpike to 95, etc. 6-7 hours. Sometimes traffic on the east of Philly, but mostly on the way back.
Dumser’s for ice cream. (Can’t say it enough.) Lombardi’s for pizza. The crepes place is over rated. It looks like the Hobbit may have re-opened. Was a cool place for kids. The story of the Hobbit was drawn out on a huge bar. Higgins ( I think) crab place was pretty good, but pricy.
Jolly Roger is a good water park. Assateague Island for the ponies is fun. The boardwalk for a night is fun, but the rides are very expensive.
Boogie boards for the kids.
Also, if a rainy day, there is a NASA center in Virginia, about an hour away.
We usually stayed up in the 80’s. We went for about 10 years in a row. Always stayed Oceanside. Bayside I can’t give much advice.
Lots of shopping in Delaware. My wife LOVED Rose’s department store.

Last edited:
We used to do that with the kids. Let them swim and tire themselves out, go to OC leisurely, get lunch, groceries, then check in. Ask for a early check in. Sometimes you get lucky.

81 to the turnpike to 95, etc. 6-7 hours. Sometimes traffic on the east of Philly, but mostly on the way back.
Dumser’s for ice cream. (Can’t say it enough.) Lombardi’s for pizza. The crepes place is over rated. It looks like the Hobbit may have re-opened. Was a cool place for kids. The story of the Hobbit was drawn out on a huge bar. Higgins ( I think) crab place was pretty good, but pricy.
Jolly Roger is a good water park. Assateague Island for the ponies is fun. The boardwalk for a night is fun, but the rides are very expensive.
Boogie boards for the kids.
Also, if a rainy day, there is a NASA center in Virginia, about an hour away.
We usually stayed up in the 80’s. We went for about 10 years in a row. Always stayed Oceanside. Bayside I can’t give much advice.
Lots of shopping in Delaware. My wife LOVED Rose’s department store.
hit dumsers for ice cream with an orange twist

A friend is looking for a spot to rent in Delaware. Anyone with recommendations

A friend is looking for a spot to rent in Delaware. Anyone with recommendations
Rehoboth has it all, outlet malls, busy boardwalk with bars and restaurants, busy beach. Dewey is more the younger crowd, more partying/bars/less good restaurants. Bethany is very family friendly, quiet beach, good restaurants but zero nightlife. All of Delaware is toned down from Ocean City, just depends what your friend is looking for.

Rehoboth has it all, outlet malls, busy boardwalk with bars and restaurants, busy beach. Dewey is more the younger crowd, more partying/bars/less good restaurants. Bethany is very family friendly, quiet beach, good restaurants but zero nightlife. All of Delaware is toned down from Ocean City, just depends what your friend is looking for.

We are HUUUGE Rehoboth City fans. We live in NJ, 30 min from the Jersey Shore, and we gladly drive past all of it and another 2 1/2 hours to go to Rehoboth Beach. Like The Kid says above, it does have everything there.

Thinking of Ocean City, MD in Mid-October. Never been there but looking for a place a little warmer than the Northeast for some golf and relaxation. Wondering how busy/crazy it may be and any suggestions.

Thinking of Ocean City, MD in Mid-October. Never been there but looking for a place a little warmer than the Northeast for some golf and relaxation. Wondering how busy/crazy it may be and any suggestions.
It's pretty dead after Labor Day

It's pretty dead after Labor Day
All I am looking for is 70ish weather, a couple nice golf courses and a place or places to eat and drink that are higher than Chuck E. Cheese on the food train. Is that all possible?

All I am looking for is 70ish weather, a couple nice golf courses and a place or places to eat and drink that are higher than Chuck E. Cheese on the food train. Is that all possible?
There are definitely a bunch of nice golf courses in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom