Anyone Seen Howard Washington Practicing? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone Seen Howard Washington Practicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayselc

Scout Team
Seeing this team struggle to distribute the ball and make even simple passes makes me wonder if Howard Washington has a shot at being the starting point guard next year. I would like to hope so, as he showed the best natural point guard instincts of anyone on the team last year. And I don't think any of the players coming in have developed to that point yet.

Has anyone on the board seen him practice this season? Is he quick enough to compete at this level post-injury?

Sign me up for this... For some reason the coaching staff doesn't agree... But this year's struggles may change their collective minds?

Seeing this team struggle to distribute the ball and make even simple passes makes me wonder if Howard Washington has a shot at being the starting point guard next year. I would like to hope so, as he showed the best natural point guard instincts of anyone on the team last year. And I don't think any of the players coming in have developed to that point yet.

Has anyone on the board seen him practice this season? Is he quick enough to compete at this level post-injury?

I'd definitely like to see him get a shot at it. Just amazing we went from thinking we were 3 deep at PG this year to 0 deep essentially.

If he's noticed he's the 3rd best PG option on this team.....he must be one seriously depressed young fellow.

I haven’t seen him practicing, but I know someone who has.

The SU coaching staff and the rest of the players.

IIRC, one of the broadcasters said he was going to redshirt this season. Maybe it was during the BC game, I think. Not sure.

I hadnt even thought of Howard Washington when I made my "All time regression team?" thread, but that fuels my question even more.

I haven’t seen him practicing, but I know someone who has.

The SU coaching staff and the rest of the players.
Why are you even posting this.
My god Jim Boeheim makes mistakes he isn’t God almighty.
Jeez this is a freaking fan messageboard. All that needs to be said was a decision was made to redshirt the kid end of story but you have to give credit to the staff.
Jim Boeheim makes mistakes see Chino Obohok, Devin McBribe, Sean Williams, Ron Patterson, Mookie Jones.
To you though he is Belichick + Popovich wrapped into one.

Jeez this is a freaking fan messageboard. All that needs to be said was a decision was made to redshirt the kid end of story but you have to give credit to the staff.
Jim Boeheim makes mistakes see Chino Obohok, Devin McBribe, Sean Williams, Ron Patterson, Mookie Jones.

I don’t think Mookie was a mistake, he was just always caught behind better players. We were really deep at his positions and really good while he was here. He could’ve been a contributor if needed.

Why would anyone care about a fan watching practice and their amateur opinion?

What value would that have?

If the kid is redshirting because he had a major injury and was out all offseason, what value does your “Boeheim watches him” comment have?

The kid could be tearing it up in practice right now for all we know and he still wouldn’t play. He’s redshirting regardless and Boeheim isn’t going to tell us how he’s playing.

If the kid was eligible to play and was sitting the bench, then you’d have a point as it could be assumed he’s not good enough in the eyes of the coach.

Townie's funny, can you imagine arguing with about who makes the best burgers in the World:

Random: "Townie, the quality of McDonald's burgers are going way down hill."

Townie: "Over a billion served. They have a sign that proves that. How many burgers have you made in your life?"

Random: "Not a billion, but I know a good burger when I eat one."

Townie: "One billion served. You think you know more about quality burgers than a restaurant that's served over a billion?"

Random: "I get it, but only half the burger has ketchup, the pickle already fell off. The patty is disgusting. The quality is just bad."

Townie: "You're a pessimist. I go in without expectations. This way I'm pleased regardless. Nobody can make burgers better. One billion served proves that. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm supposed to take your opinion seriously - you've served how many burgers in your life?"

Random: "None professionally. I'm not a chef. But I know a good burger when I see one."

Townie: "You're an amateur. Trust the process. Why would anyone care what you think - one billion served. They know burgers best. Just enjoy the burger and shut up."

Random: "Maybe the process is the problem?"

Townie: "One billion served."

Random: ***Leaves Crying***

I assume Townie's point is that the coaches and players have seen him in practice, if he is practicing, and they haven't broken glass despite what appears to an emergency with regard to our PG play the last two seasons.

I don't think HW is the point guard solution any more than Adrian Autry JR is. Good kid and he has the concept of being a point guard, but i think the problem is that he is not a DI talent.

Townie's funny, can you imagine arguing with about who makes the best burgers in the World:

Random: "Townie, the quality of McDonald's burgers are going way down hill."

Townie: "Over a billion served. They have a sign that proves that. How many burgers have you made in your life?"

Random: "Not a billion, but I know a good burger when I eat one."

Townie: "One billion served. You think you know more about quality burgers than a restaurant that's served over a billion?"

Random: "I get it, but only half the burger has ketchup, the pickle already fell off. The patty is disgusting. The quality is just bad."

Townie: "You're a pessimist. I go in without expectations. This way I'm pleased regardless. Nobody can make burgers better. One billion served proves that. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm supposed to take your opinion seriously - you've served how many burgers in your life?"

Random: "None professionally. I'm not a chef. But I know a good burger when I see one."

Townie: "You're an amateur. Trust the process. Why would anyone care what you think - one billion served. They know burgers best. Just enjoy the burger and shut up."

Random: "Maybe the process is the problem?"

Townie: "One billion served."

Random: ***Leaves Crying***

Very clever and well written.

But, unfortunately, the analogy on which it is based is flawed. Making hamburgers is far simpler than Modern day CBB.

Let’s try another approach.

Random fan to wife: My doctor says my chloresterol is too high and he wants to put me on statins.

Wife: Nonsense. He’s just pushing pills as an agent of Big Pharma. I read in the Washington Post Health section that a diet of whale blubber and raw fish is better. Because Eskimos have no heart disease. Also, my friend, Sharon, said that her father lived to be 100 and always had high chlorestoral.”

Now, I’m no expert on fast foods. I stopped eating that junk 25 years ago when I noticed I felt worse after eating it. If in fact, McDonalds burgers are worse than they were, it’s because the company has decided that people don’t really care how bad it is, so long as it’s cheap and there’s a place for the kids to run around like wild Indians while they work on getting their BMI up a few more points.

Very clever and well written.

But, unfortunately, the analogy on which it is based is flawed. Making hamburgers is far simpler than Modern day CBB.

Let’s try another approach.

Random fan to wife: My doctor says my chloresterol is too high and he wants to put me on statins.

Wife: Nonsense. He’s just pushing pills as an agent of Big Pharma. I read in the Washington Post Health section that a diet of whale blubber and raw fish is better. Because Eskimos have no heart disease. Also, my friend, Sharon, said that her father lived to be 100 and always had high chlorestoral.”

Now, I’m no expert on fast foods. I stopped eating that junk 25 years ago when I noticed I felt worse after eating it. If in fact, McDonalds burgers are worse than they were, it’s because the company has decided that people don’t really care how bad it is, so long as it’s cheap and there’s a place for the kids to run around like wild Indians while they work on getting their BMI up a few more points.

Boring. You're boring us.

true point guard brings the ball safely up court . reads the defense , recognizes mismatches and delivers the ball in a position to score. you don't necessarily need set plays to do that unless you're overmatched.
you do need players who communicate and can get open . and a point guard who can deliver the rock.

In what little we saw of Howard Washington's freshman year he showed he has point guard instincts. If JB were as patient with him as he is with Buddy, who knows?

Isn't this entire forum just about 'a fan watching... and their amateur opinion?' Isn't that also a characterization of your own contributions here?

Does that mean that everything the staff says is gospel? Infallible, and we're supposed to just accept it all as truth?

Isn't this entire forum just about 'a fan watching... and their amateur opinion?' Isn't that also a characterization of your own contributions here?

Does that mean that everything the staff says is gospel? Infallible, and we're supposed to just accept it all as truth?

You are trying to make two points here, I think.

The first is that my opinion isn’t anymore valid than anyone else’s. While that inherently sounds like it ought to be correct, it would only apply when I’m voicing my own opinion, which I very infrequently do. I don’t have theories on root problems, because I know that given my own limited knowledge of what’s really going on at practices and in games and my own very unimpressive basketball resume really doesn’t allow that.

Your second point is that is unlikely that everything the staff says is true. So therefore, anything they say is possibly wrong. Well, I don’t know if everything JB does is right or not. But I strongly believe that when he answers questions and expounds at pressers or in interviews, we are getting an unusually straight story that people ought to listen carefully to.

Some people don’t listen at all. some listen, but are unaffected because what he says doesn’t match the narrative they believe. And some actually believe he is mistaken or lying or FOS.

All I am frequently doing is pushing back on opinions.

I am in the unfortunate position of being an SU fan. I like the school, the teams, the coaches and the players. If a Georgetown or NC State fan showed up here and said half the stuff our “fans” say after a loss, they’d be run off the board in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom