Anyone worried about JG3 being able to handle ACC sized guards | Syracusefan.com

Anyone worried about JG3 being able to handle ACC sized guards

walsh2012

Starter
Needs to see how much Tony Bennett has played Clark this season. Kid can’t be over 5’10 170, and he still gets 10 mpg. Girard would toast that kid today

cuseinseattle

All American
Needs to see how much Tony Bennett has played Clark this season. Kid can’t be over 5’10 170, and he still gets 10 mpg. Girard would toast that kid today
What does it mean to toast someone. Clark is quick and a really good defender. His nothing like JG3.

walsh2012

Starter
Strange game to say this. He’s made really smart plays with the ball all game long.
12 pts, 6 assts, 4 rebs and 3-8 from 3 isn’t too shabby.
i deserve to get chirped here, but in my defense this is the only time i've seen him make an impact this season.

and it supports my point that people who are JG3 detractors due to his size are underestimating him. i would still take JG3 over Clark 1 on 1 right now

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
i deserve to get chirped here, but in my defense this is the only time i've seen him make an impact this season.

and it supports my point that people who are JG3 detractors due to his size are underestimating him. i would still take JG3 over Clark 1 on 1 right now
Detracting from JG3's potential is not a thing on this site.

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd

The game is all about matchups. We matched up well against him personally so VA used Jerome much more of the game in the pg role. They ended up taking Clark out for most of the game against us because our bigger guards were shooting over him and the zone neutralized his speed while highlighting his inability to take, less make perimeter shots against the zone. Against Oregon his speed and ball handling ability made it difficult for their taller guards to contain him man to man. He controlled the ball against their defense. He was also making some of those totally open shots that many teams have been daring him to take and make.He played well against Oregon

walsh2012

Starter
The game is all about matchups. We matched up well against him personally so VA used Jerome much more of the game in the pg role. They ended up taking Clark out for most of the game against us because our bigger guards were shooting over him and the zone neutralized his speed while highlighting his inability to take, less make perimeter shots against the zone. Against Oregon his speed and ball handling ability made it difficult for their taller guards to contain him man to man. He controlled the ball against their defense. He was also making some of those totally open shots that many teams have been daring him to take and make.He played well against Oregon
He played very well tonight. It was for sure his best game all season. If anything he encourages me to believe that JG3 will be able to keep up with ACC athletes as a frosh

Grbac

2nd String
Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy don’t seem to have any trouble with bigger ACC guards.

Kyle 6’2 175lbs
Ty 6’5 195lbs

JG3 having played football will have a physical advantage coming in as a freshman. Already used to lifting weights and using his body.

LetsGoOrang

Walk On
Girard will be fine, there are a lot of 6'1 guards playing in P5 conferences with success. Kyle Guy is 6'2 and is 1st team ACC. We just need to run an offense that gets looks for our shooters because Buddy and JGIII won't be beating players off the dribble.

Melancer46

Hall of Fame
I think the question with JG3 is whether or not his ability to drive and draw fouls will translate against D1 help defenders. I think he's strong enough that he should be able to get leverage against guards, but we'll see.

I think it's at least somewhat noteworthy that over 70% of his attempts on the AAU circuit were 3 pointers. I expect him to play the role of shooter for us at least in the early going and hopefully he'll be able to build his driving game off of the attention that his jumpshot will attract.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
I think the question with JG3 is whether or not his ability to drive and draw fouls will translate against D1 help defenders. I think he's strong enough that he should be able to get leverage against guards, but we'll see.

I think it's at least somewhat noteworthy that over 70% of his attempts on the AAU circuit were 3 pointers. I expect him to play the role of shooter for us at least in the early going and hopefully he'll be able to build his driving game off of the attention that his jumpshot will attract.

Agreed. Class B in upstate NY is a long ways from the ACC. That’s a huge competition leap. I haven’t seen much of a left hand.

Those factors make me think he won’t be much of a factor off the dribble as far driving, at least in the short term.

His shooting and shooting range should translate well though. Good shooter, deep range, quick release and can shoot deep 3’s off the dribble with quick little moves.

His strength, competitiveness, and intangibles would seem to be a plus too.

Will be interesting to see just how well he plays as a freshman.

B

Brooky03

How do Girard and GMac's high school stats compare? Were they at similar competition levels or was GMac's school bigger?