Arcade Fans | Syracusefan.com

Arcade Fans

Orangezoo

In the wind
I think we had a thread about this elsewhere I couldn't find.

Anyways in the ongoing work on the man cave we have officially an "Arcade Zone" to which we have a Pac Man machine,( 6 total games Galaga included) NBA Jam machine ( Jam, Jam TE and Hangtime, Star Wars Virtual Pinball ( 10 different games in one), Big Buck Hunter Pro ( 4 games in one basically every continent and tons of animals) and with the guns and all, Marvel Virtual Pinball ( 10 games) and then the Simpsons arcade coming in December.

Hoping to have room for Tron that's is coming out soon and a racing game ( Outrun and Ridge Racer are out with steering wheel, pedals etc but I'm hoping for the Cruis'n series) and there are others available too and likely more pinball coming. The machines are all around 3/4 scale so they don't take up too much space, artwork is original and really solid, most have light up marquees and on and on. Price ranges 500-800 vs the crazy stuff the real ones cost.

Anyways with the pandemic and just in general it's been a hit for entertaining and just rainy days. I have a PS5 I play rarely due to time lacking but these are just fun for a 10-15 minute break. Great fun that gets the kids out of their rooms too and interacting.

Just curious if anyone else has gotten into these.

By and far the pinball is the most used given the music and variety plus the solenoids and haptic feedback making it a legit experience.

Arcade1up.com

Anyways in the ongoing work on the man cave we have officially an "Arcade Zone" to which we have a Pac Man machine,( 6 total games Galaga included) NBA Jam machine ( Jam, Jam TE and Hangtime, Star Wars Virtual Pinball ( 10 different games in one), Big Buck Hunter Pro ( 4 games in one basically every continent and tons of animals) and with the guns and all, Marvel Virtual Pinball ( 10 games) and then the Simpsons arcade coming in December.

Hoping to have room for Tron that's is coming out soon and a racing game ( Outrun and Ridge Racer are out with steering wheel, pedals etc but I'm hoping for the Cruis'n series) and there are others available too and likely more pinball coming. The machines are all around 3/4 scale so they don't take up too much space, artwork is original and really solid, most have light up marquees and on and on. Price ranges 500-800 vs the crazy stuff the real ones cost.

Anyways with the pandemic and just in general it's been a hit for entertaining and just rainy days. I have a PS5 I play rarely due to time lacking but these are just fun for a 10-15 minute break. Great fun that gets the kids out of their rooms too and interacting.

By and far the pinball is the most used given the music and variety plus the solenoids and haptic feedback making it a legit experience.

Arcade1up.com
I have not gotten into these, but I would like to. I did a lot of research on pinball machines, and I have not pulled the trigger.

The Simpsons looks great. I may get the Mortal Kombat one. it comes with a lot of games. Is the screen too small for Big Buck Hunter?

Arcade1up.com
I have two of the 2/3 scale cabinets from arcade1up (Centipede and Pac-Man) in my office at work. I want more.

I have not gotten into these, but I would like to. I did a lot of research on pinball machines, and I have not pulled the trigger.

Pinball machines are a freaking blast. I was worried virtual would be a dissapointment but not at all

The Simpsons looks great. I may get the Mortal Kombat one. it comes with a lot of games. Is the screen too small for Big Buck Hunter?

It's not as big as you would prefer but it's still far big enough to have a blast with it. Image quality is top notch and super responsive.

I'm gonna do MK as well but probably in my office along with one other. When family brings the kids I would get the stinkeye over having MK where everyone is hanging out lol.

i'm lazy and therefore always a fan of the sit down games. one of my old faves (perennial high score at the local pub ) was SPY HUNTER . rather rudimentary by today's standards but it was a shooter with traveling vehicles accompanied by henry mancini's peter gun theme. my friend found one on line and asked if i was interested and i declined. my garage alone is just not the same as the smoky tavern of old. \

b3fa96f5cf90c9176d5f000d44ae270b.jpg

i'm lazy and therefore always a fan of the sit down games. one of my old faves (perennial high score at the local pub ) was SPY HUNTER . rather rudimentary by today's standards but it was a shooter with traveling vehicles accompanied by henry mancini's peter gun theme. my friend found one on line and asked if i was interested and i declined. my garage alone is just not the same as the smoky tavern of old. \

b3fa96f5cf90c9176d5f000d44ae270b.jpg
Spy Hunter is a classic.

I actually have an old fashioned pinball machine in my house from the 70’s I think. It’s electro-mechanical and we are working on getting it fixed

My wife and I hit an arcade bar in Chicago this weekend. So much fun. She kills it at Centipede, whereas I set the high score for Galaga and Frogger.

Galaga is the greatest but I would give myself carpal tunnel if I had one in the house!

If your looking for the arcade experience without havign to set up an actual arcade in your house there are some great retro arcade systems available right now.

I have one from Todayz Trendz that is fantastic. Arcade classics, NES, Sega, Super NES, Gameboy, PS1, Dreamcast etc. Its esentially the front area of an arcade machine with the joysticks/buttons that uses HDMI to plug into your TV. You can also customize the front to whatever you want ( I have Wrestlefest but they a dozen options and can customize, the GIJOE one is sick). Takes up little room and is easy to navigate. Just played X-men arcade and Final Fight the other day and it felt like 1992 all over again. It ships from South Korea and while some of the games are in Chinese/Japanese, the majority are in English and I highly recommend it.

I can link to the website if anyone is interested.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. I have been waiting for something like this for years and it was great to have something that comes pre-loaded with all the games. I forgo to note that there is an online store if you buy the wife capable version where you can download more games for free.

Arcade1up.com
Did the Simpsons arrive yet? Big buck hunter was recently on sale, and I almost pulled the trigger on it.

Did the Simpsons arrive yet? Big buck hunter was recently on sale, and I almost pulled the trigger on it.

Yep got it a few weeks ago. Awesome machine and love it has Simpsons Bowling with the Golden Tee style track ball.

Still loving the Big Buck Hunter as well. Big hit for entertaining.

So it's not arcade but just splurged over the break for the remastered GTA trilogy (3, Vice City, San Andreas) on PS5. Absolutely a blast. Vice City (all time favorite) looks amazing remastered.

Heads up- just announced that NFL Blitz arcade is coming to Arcade1up in October.

All 3 blitz games with most players and the 49 way joystick which is a big deal as it was unique back in the day. Got a pre-order in to sit next to NBA Jam in the man cave.

The one crappy thing is they eliminated some of the hits and after the whistle stuff that was fun. NFL wouldn't sign off without doing so.

So it's not arcade but just splurged over the break for the remastered GTA trilogy (3, Vice City, San Andreas) on PS5. Absolutely a blast. Vice City (all time favorite) looks amazing remastered.

Vice City was insanely frustrating though because always crashed the damn motorcycles and wound up in the water and then it’s just a pain.

But speaking of this: what the heck? Where is GTA VI!??

Vice City was insanely frustrating though because always crashed the damn motorcycles and wound up in the water and then it’s just a pain.

But speaking of this: what the heck? Where is GTA VI!??

They keep plugging stuff into GTA V online and people keep playing and spending money so good question. Red Dead 2 is still a lot of fun.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. I have been waiting for something like this for years and it was great to have something that comes pre-loaded with all the games. I forgo to note that there is an online store if you buy the wife capable version where you can download more games for free.
Are you still digging this? Do you think it is holding up over a year later? I keep getting ads for this, and it might be the time to buy

Are you still digging this? Do you think it is holding up over a year later? I keep getting ads for this, and it might be the time to buy

The multicades are the way to go if you are limited for space and don't care about the nostalgia factor. The biggest issue is the quality of the emulators. Often it's a mixed bag where some games play and feel amazing and others are borderline unplayable.

It's held up pretty well, the sheer number of games available to play can be overwhelming at times but the classics ie The Simpsons, X-men, Final Fight, Turtles games, Metal Slug series, Wrestlefest, NBA Jam etc play just like the originals. The Fighting games actually play pretty well there's a million street fighter variance, king of fighters, Tekken and tons more. I am not a huge fighting game guy but if you are there's endless options. Just about all of the games has a save feature which is great, I started a Pokemon red game for the wife and we probably haven't played it in a year or close to it but I should be able to jump back into it today.

The downloadable game market is nice as well, was able to go on there and download SuperMario land 2 Six golden Coins from the Gameboy area and it was such a blast. They have a lot options and are constantly adding more, I think they also just re-organized the system and added more games. What's also great is they sell a knock off playstation controller that can plug into the system that you can use on games where the arcade board isn't as helpful ie the Mario games and a few others. A lot of the games arcade games like Simpsons, X-Men, Turtles and such you can have endless continues so its great if you have younger kids or have kids visits so they can die a million times but the game keeps progressing. I think they also jsut came out with a new system that isn't the arcade board but set up like console that has like 30K games on it. Still the arcade board is nice a feature and a necessity for some games.

Now there are some drawbacks, playing on a arcade style board it can be a little bit of trial and error to know which of the six buttons match up to what especially if your playing an emulator from a system where obviously what the game is saying to do isn't feasible (ie hit the Y button or right Trigger etc). Most of the games are fine as its usually the first few buttons that match up and most games don't need anywhere closed to the six you have but on a select few the buttons are spaced out a bit, NBA Jam if I recall was like this but you get the hang of it and the system offers you the option to re-order the buttons if you want ( I have not done this) or as I noted above you can simply buy a controller and play using that.

Most of the games I have played have felt and played just like I would suspect, some really well but as orangezoo noted I am sure there are some that might be an issue. Some of the console ones can very much feel like their age even with the emulator but again that's been the exception not the rule. Only other major issue is that its built I believe in South Korea, so some of the games have duplicates that are in Chinese or Japanese but 90% of them are the American or European version. This can be a bit frustrating though as every once in a while you see a game that's only in Japanese or Chinese or for example they have about 12 different Pokemon games but I had to download the American Red version as all the loaded ones were in Japanese or Chinese. Also sometimes the games are given weird names which I am not sure if its supposed to be a joke or done for some other purposes. For example you might see listed "shell bashing 3" and when you open it its Turtles in Time.

Still the pros are far and above the cons, its' great to have all of these games on one system that I can fire up at anytime when I feel like playing or need a nostalgia boost. The first time you play the Simpsons or X-men on it you will feel like its 1992 and your at an arcade. Let me know if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer.

Last edited:
It's held up pretty well, the sheer number of games available to play can be overwhelming at times but the classics ie The Simpsons, X-men, Final Fight, Turtles games, Metal Slug series, Wrestlefest, NBA Jam etc play just like the originals. The Fighting games actually play pretty well there's a million street fighter variance, king of fighters, Tekken and tons more. I am not a huge fighting game guy but if you are there's endless options. Just about all of the games has a save feature which is great, I started a Pokemon red game for the wife and we probably haven't played it in a year or close to it but I should be able to jump back into it today.

The downloadable game market is nice as well, was able to go on there and download SuperMario land 2 Six golden Coins from the Gameboy area and it was such a blast. They have a lot options and are constantly adding more, I think they also just re-organized the system and added more games. What's also great is they sell a knock off playstation controller that can plug into the system that you can use on games where the arcade board isn't as helpful ie the Mario games and a few others. A lot of the games arcade games like Simpsons, X-Men, Turtles and such you can have endless continues so its great if you have younger kids or have kids visits so they can die a million times but the game keeps progressing. I think they also jsut came out with a new system that isn't the arcade board but set up like console that has like 30K games on it. Still the arcade board is nice a feature and a necessity for some games.

Now there are some drawbacks, playing on a arcade style board it can be a little bit of trial and error to know which of the six buttons match up to what especially if your playing an emulator from a system where obviously what the game is saying to do isn't feasible (ie hit the Y button or right Trigger etc). Most of the games are fine as its usually the first few buttons that match up and most games don't need anywhere closed to the six you have but on a select few the buttons are spaced out a bit, NBA Jam if I recall was like this but you get the hang of it and the system offers you the option to re-order the buttons if you want ( I have not done this) or as I noted above you can simply buy a controller and play using that.

Most of the games I have played have felt and played just like I would suspect, some really well but as orangezoo noted I am sure there are some that might be an issue. Some of the console ones can very much feel like their age even with the emulator but again that's been the exception not the rule. Only other major issue is that its built I believe in South Korea, so some of the games have duplicates that are in Chinese or Japanese but 90% of them are the American or European version. This can be a bit frustrating though as every once in a while you see a game that's only in Japanese or Chinese or for example they have about 12 different Pokemon games but I had to download the American Red version as all the loaded ones were in Japanese or Chinese. Also sometimes the games are given weird names which I am not sure if its supposed to be a joke or done for some other purposes. For example you might see listed "shell bashing 3" and when you open it its Turtles in Time.

Still the pros are far and above the cons, its' great to have all of these games on one system that I can fire up at anytime when I feel like playing or need a nostalgia boost. The first time you play the Simpsons or X-men on it you will feel like its 1992 and your at an arcade. Let me know if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer.

Good stuff. I've had two multicades and pretty much same experience. I sold them and just have the individual cabs to make a collection now. Honestly the only things that are likely to wear down are the screens and buttons etc. The boards on the multicades will last you much longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom