Archbold Stadium '78 | Syracusefan.com

Archbold Stadium '78

Rocco

Watching you.
This is a great piece on the history of Archbold Stadium and it really shows how incredible SU Football's history is. I am sure that many on here have already seen this, but I thought this was worth posting. It provides a little insight into the stadium that SU played in for decades, especially for some of the younger fans (under 40 really). Enjoy!

This is a GREAT documentary! It was done by 2 Newhouse seniors in 2009. Just a fabulous job. Really captured the game (I know, I was there). Take the 30 minutes, watch, and enjoy. Seriously - do it. You won't be disappointed. These kids did such a good job.

Maybe Bill Orange and Tomcat can chime in and regale us with their goalpost stories.

Growing up in Syracuse, my Dad used to take me to Archbold all the time. I have this hanging in our spare guestroom.

photo.JPG

This is a great piece on the history of Archbold Stadium and it really shows how incredible SU Football's history is. I am sure that many on here have already seen this, but I thought this was worth posting. It provides a little insight into the stadium that SU played in for decades, especially for some of the younger fans (under 40 really). Enjoy!

great find. Love that, mostly because that gangly 15 year old kid in the back round ripping up the endzone turf after the Navy upset I'm 99.99% sure is me! Could kill my sister for throwing out that orange and blue grass I had in a baggie for 5 years when we moved! Great memories Rocco.

great find. Love that, mostly because that gangly 15 year old kid in the back round ripping up the endzone turf after the Navy upset I'm 99.99% sure is me! Could kill my sister for throwing out that orange and blue grass I had in a baggie for 5 years when we moved! Great memories Rocco.
My orange and blue endzone grass is still in a jar in my 'shrine' room, along with a piece of the orange wooden railing.

This is awesome!!!! Thanks for posting it. I went to the last game in Archibald with my Mom. My parents had season tickets and my Dad gave up his seat so I could go. I was 7 and I really don't remember specifics except that Cuse won, I was cold, I thought I for a blue rain parka that said Syracuse on it across the back but I could be wrong. The one thing I distinctly remember was everyone year the place apart after the game. I swear I remember people with chainsaws slicing the seats up. I had a green piece of bleacher for YEARS after. Only the first 15 minutes of the video. I can't wait to see the last 13 minutes. Thanks again Rocco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My orange and blue endzone grass is still in a jar in my 'shrine' room, along with a piece of the orange wooden railing.
you kidding you really still have a piece of railing? That vanished when we moved too.

Hey do you know my sister.....? :)

you kidding you really still have a piece of railing? That vanished when we moved too.

Hey do you know my sister.....? :)
I'll never tell. It's only a small piece (the railing, gutter-mind). ;)

I didn't get any railing. :(

Would like to relate a story abour Archbold std. Not sure of the year either 1957 or 1958, my Cuban dad and I went to see Pittsburg play Syracuse. We had endzone seats, and it was cold. He was only a baseball fan. Pitt was behind by a field gold and on the last play of the game Pitt lined up for a tying field gold. Instead they faked the field goal and threw a pass in the end zone where we were sitting. Syracuse intercepts the ball, game over, Cuse wins. Father becomes an instant fan and I will never forget that day as long as I live.

Thanks. I had not seen that before. I started many races from the tunnel and took lots of showers in that locker room in Archbold after track practice--brings back memories.

Good stuff. I was there that day also, and remember (vaguely) borrowing someone's saw to carve out a section of the bleachers. Unfortunately, I didn't care for it properly and it rotted in a corner of my basement and had to be discarded a few years back.

Archbold was way before my time on the hill, however being from buffalo I have to ask if anyone on the board ever attended one of the games at rich stadium in 1979? And if so, what was it like?

I have asked my Dad before but he was at school at SU and never came home for a game.

I might have told this story before, but the night before the final game three fraternity brothers and I were disco-ing (lol) and we decided on the way home around 2ish as we were driving by Archbold that it would be great if our fraternity had the WELCOME TO ARCHBOLD 1914 sign.

So we sent a young pledge over the wall and he came back with the sign!! As we were about to make our getaway my car was pinned in by two police cars. They took our names (and the sign) and made threats about taking us down to the station but thankfully let us go sans the sign. I think they abandoned us because there was some sort of small demonstration or ruckus nearby.

The cool part of the story is that the same pledge that got the sign came back from this last game bloodied but with a piece of the goalpost which is still buried behind haven hall where our fraternity used to be (now a parking lot). Great memories! Thanks for sharing!

This is a GREAT documentary! It was done by 2 Newhouse seniors in 2009. Just a fabulous job. Really captured the game (I know, I was there). Take the 30 minutes, watch, and enjoy. Seriously - do it. You won't be disappointed. These kids did such a good job.

Maybe Bill Orange and Tomcat can chime in and regale us with their goalpost stories.
This video has been posted on the board before. I told my story in one of the earlier threads that linked to it.

You can read it here. I still have my section of the cross bar, along with some grass in a baggie and a piece of orange railing. It is all just sitting in a pile in my attic. Have to make some time and put it on display with all my other SU stuff in a room dedicated to SU memorablia some day...

This video has been posted on the board before. I told my story in one of the earlier threads that linked to it.

You can read it here. I still have my section of the cross bar, along with some grass in a baggie and a piece of orange railing. It is all just sitting in a pile in my attic. Have to make some time and put it on display with all my other SU stuff in a room dedicated to SU memorablia some day...

The man room of all time.

Not a season goes by that I don't miss Archbold. On a sunny day in October, while walking up to the Dome, is when i really miss it. The only thing I don't miss about it was the spilled soda that drew in the yellow jackets!

Not a season goes by that I don't miss Archbold. On a sunny day in October, while walking up to the Dome, is when i really miss it. The only thing I don't miss about it was the spilled soda that drew in the yellow jackets!

I think back to those rain clouds that would float around in the sky west of Archbold towards Onondaga Hill. They'd eventually work themselves over the stadium, drench the crowd and then move on. Then a nice cold wind would start blowing.

Archbold --- when it was good, it was very, very good. When it was bad, it was very, very bad.

In the first season of the Dome, I went to a game there --- I think it was Rutgers. Outside the rain was coming down in sheets. It was that day I decided to love the Dome.

While I did help the masses take down the goal posts and crossbar, I don't have any pieces of them. I do still have some turf in a jar, the netting (sans Allstate logo) that the field goals/extra points went into.

I went up the next morning with saw in hand and cut out the green wooden seats that were our season tickets. I went through the empty press box and took some pictures, as I was the only person it seemed who was there the day after. I'll try to post them.

My orange & blue grass is long gone but my orange piece of wooden railing serves as a memorabilia shelf on my man-cave sports wall.

Archbold was way before my time on the hill, however being from buffalo I have to ask if anyone on the board ever attended one of the games at rich stadium in 1979? And if so, what was it like?

I have asked my Dad before but he was at school at SU and never came home for a game.
Yes. Dad took me to Miami game. I was 10 but what I remember is that we sat really close to the sidelines. We also went to BC game in Ithaca that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom