Archbold Stadium - the last game | Syracusefan.com

Archbold Stadium - the last game

We sucked that year (QB Hurley injured 1st game), but beat a ranked Navy team to close the venerable venue - alright crumbling concrete coliseum.

My first Cuse football game.

Ditto, we ended up with an artifact that day. Parents were both in school during the Brown/Davis era and was brought up as a fan. Indoctrinated in the lore even though at that point LHS was the only #1 program in the area.

My limited time in journalism included interviewing George O'Leary, which was interesting. Went to the last game, and came back from Geneseo for the first game in the Dome.

Nobody gonna share the goalpost story? Come on.

Nobody gonna share the goalpost story? Come on.
If you watch this film almost to the end, in the 8mm film taken from Lawrinson, you can see some idiots struggling to carry one of the uprights up through the stands behind the eastern end zone. One of them is me.

Here is a post I made years ago describing what happened after that game. It actually starts with a post Dan made and I eventually responded to.

Tomcat back in the day

Last edited:
I have many artifacts from that day including railing, concrete, endzone sod, program, and the free coat handed out to the first so many kids.

I didn't get the jacket. :(

I still have the Bill Hurley jersey from the year before.

I’ve mentioned this before in another thread. I’m only 48 but had my fair share of games at Archbold. I’ve told my nine year old plenty of time while walking up to the game in crap weather, “it’s a beautiful day to have a roof”.

A3767A9C-2770-49CE-AC70-09DFBE47DD34.jpeg

My neighbors from across the street grabbed some orange and blue grass from the end zone as well as some pieces of wood. I have no idea what that would be from. That might’ve been green, but I’m not sure. My dad took me to Cornell the following year to see SU play BC as a road home game.

My neighbors from across the street grabbed some orange and blue grass from the end zone as well as some pieces of wood. I have no idea what that would be from. That might’ve been green, but I’m not sure. My dad took me to Cornell the following year to see SU play BC as a road home game.

There were dudes just busting orange railings apart. I got quite a few as well.

This conversation brings to mind the Dome changes. Any seat replacements, and one would hope we’d be able to get our hands on a bench section. And I also mentioned to Wildhack that upon roof job, that selling or auctioning off small pieces of the current roof would be both great for fans, and a fundraiser for the AD.

That's true we all did it. Like Tom that's me in the end zone too in that vid ripping up some bicolored grass, also got a piece of green bench and had a piece of orange railing which got thrown out! I'll post a pic of what I still have when I get back in town. The craziest thing about it all is they encouraged all of us to do the demo we did! Could you imagine that today?!

This conversation brings to mind the Dome changes. Any seat replacements, and one would hope we’d be able to get our hands on a bench section. And I also mentioned to Wildhack that upon roof job, that selling or auctioning off small pieces of the current roof would be both great for fans, and a fundraiser for the AD.

My sister’s family are Cubs season ticket holders. When they replaced the seats a couple years ago they were able to buy their seats. They now have them at home.

That's true we all did it. Like Tom that's me in the end zone too in that vid ripping up some bicolored grass, also got a piece of green bench and had a piece of orange railing which got thrown out! I'll post a pic of what I still have when I get back in town. The craziest thing about it all is they encouraged all of us to do the demo we did! Could you imagine that today?!

In a lot of ways it was a better world then

I have the sign hanging in one of my rooms -- what do you think it would fetch on EBay?

Attachments

• Archbold.jpg
    Archbold.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
i hope at some point in the renovations to the Dome, the artitects can work in a design feature to pay homage to Archbold. Install a grand staircase and entrance on the Irving side, with a grand arch topped by the medieval looking tower.

It would be more of a facade with a courtyard where the columns are that provides a way to walk around the west side of the Dome on the level of the 300 section seats.

The building cries out for a proper entrance and some character. Throw us a bone of interesting detail and tip your cap to those who came before you...

2AD6BDE2-8CAB-4363-A34B-ACCC786D064B.jpeg
DF147775-B221-4D0F-8983-0D70853C91F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Saw that same game at Cornell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom