Are we finally done with this class? | Syracusefan.com

Are we finally done with this class?

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
Do we go after anyone else in this class or piggyback the scholly to 14?

Not sure if Gbinjie qualifies as a 2 guard, but both backcourt positions will be awfully thin if MCW leaves as expected.

The point is fine and there is a 4 way pile up at the 2.

Is Ennis going to play 40 MPG? I remember when Jason Hart basically had to go 40 every night as a freshman before he was ready for that...that was a long year with a lot of stretches of ugly, bad basketball. Who else can play the point?

Is Ennis going to play 40 MPG? I remember when Jason Hart basically had to go 40 every night as a freshman before he was ready for that...that was a long year with a lot of stretches of ugly, bad basketball. Who else can play the point?
burnfvrcuse

We will have a lot of forwards and 2g's that can handle. I would asume we will play two forwards with good handle when Ennis sitts.

We will have a lot of forwards and 2g's that can handle. I would asume we will play two forwards with good handle when Ennis sitts.
Hopefully JB is as optimistic as you are.

The point is fine and there is a 4 way pile up at the 2.

i wouldn't exactly call it a pile up. there isn't going to be one proven 2. cooney i don't see helping. Silent G should get the first look with Patterson backing him up. Having only 1 legit ball handler (assuming mcw leaves) is very concerning.

I agree about the ball handler, but this is an excellent recruiting class with a ton of potential. Add returning players and you can see we're pretty deep. Say MCW goes, and worst case scenario of losing Christmas just due to potential and Chino redshirts:

C Options include BMK, DC2
PF Options include DC2, Grant, Roberson, CJ
SF Options include CJ, Roberson, BJ, Grant, MikeG
SG Options include MikeG, Cooney, Patterson, BJ
PG Options include Ennis

I am not creating a lineup here. Only JB and the coaching staff will know who they want and where they want them, but as you can see, many great options from the 2 through 5 and that's if we lost Rak and Chino, which may or may not happen.

Seems like of the shooting guards, and similar to this year's roster, we would need 10 minutes or so with a secondary ball handler. So either MikeG, Cooney, Patterson or BJ can handle up against fast 6' tall ACC guards, or we get in the mix for another 2013 ball handler. Francis, if you're watching, do you think the staff has any plans for a combo guard or secondary ball handler or are we close to wrapping this party up with a side of Wiggins miracle?

We are ridiculously stacked no matter how you look at it, but with some unforeseen, could be in trouble without another handler than a frosh Ennis. He's going to be solid off the bat, but it's asking a lot for any 1st year player to bring up the ball for 35+ minutes.

I have a decent feeling unless they make a late push for Wiggins, that we're all set, and one or two of the guards will develop a solid handle. They do have a good half season to try the MikeG\Cooney experiment in practice to see if it's possible now. But if not, and we did lose a couple of underclassmen, we would have scholly options.

Not sure if Gbinjie qualifies as a 2 guard, but both backcourt positions will be awfully thin if MCW leaves as expected.
Mike G said in a PS article, that he has been practicing some at PG. So I assume that he's being groomed to play some there, but that's easier said than done. We'll have to wait and see if he's capable of doing so.

One nice think about MikeG is that if the staff wants to use him as a ball handler next year he is here for them to work on it with him. Its not all dribbling anyways its "ball handling" which is dribbling, passing and making plays IMO. If you can put 2 forwards and 2 2g's in that can do that then your fine at least for 10min a game. You could even go small with CJ, BJ, MikeG and Patterson or Cooney. 4 guys who can shoot and put it on the deck.

I agree about the ball handler, but this is an excellent recruiting class with a ton of potential. Add returning players and you can see we're pretty deep. Say MCW goes, and worst case scenario of losing Christmas just due to potential and Chino redshirts:

C Options include BMK, DC2
PF Options include DC2, Grant, Roberson, CJ
SF Options include CJ, Roberson, BJ, Grant, MikeG
SG Options include MikeG, Cooney, Patterson, BJ
PG Options include Ennis

I am not creating a lineup here. Only JB and the coaching staff will know who they want and where they want them, but as you can see, many great options from the 2 through 5 and that's if we lost Rak and Chino, which may or may not happen.

Seems like of the shooting guards, and similar to this year's roster, we would need 10 minutes or so with a secondary ball handler. So either MikeG, Cooney, Patterson or BJ can handle up against fast 6' tall ACC guards, or we get in the mix for another 2013 ball handler. Francis, if you're watching, do you think the staff has any plans for a combo guard or secondary ball handler or are we close to wrapping this party up with a side of Wiggins miracle?

We are ridiculously stacked no matter how you look at it, but with some unforeseen, could be in trouble without another handler than a frosh Ennis. He's going to be solid off the bat, but it's asking a lot for any 1st year player to bring up the ball for 35+ minutes.

I have a decent feeling unless they make a late push for Wiggins, that we're all set, and one or two of the guards will develop a solid handle. They do have a good half season to try the MikeG\Cooney experiment in practice to see if it's possible now. But if not, and we did lose a couple of underclassmen, we would have scholly options.
I think it's a wrap but anything is possible in the spring. Don't think they wanna rush to get another combo because they really want Whitehead in 14 and plus Briscoe's pops is concerned about an overcrowded backcourt.

I wish we would turn up the juice one last time to jordan..

Having no proven PG is a major concern, esp in college basketball. Having no PG is like having no QB. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is. Nothing against Ennis, but stuff happens. Injuries, grades, illnesses, adjustments. You have to have a solid Plan B. Trying to score another guy who can play PG would be the prudent thing to do.

Having no proven PG is a major concern, esp in college basketball. Having no PG is like having no QB. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is. Nothing against Ennis, but stuff happens. Injuries, grades, illnesses, adjustments. You have to have a solid Plan B. Trying to score another guy who can play PG would be the prudent thing to do.
I agree the PG position is very weak for next year. I just wish MCW would stay another year...

If both Patterson and Mike G show an ok handle what seems a weakness now.. could even end up a strength. If anything our backcourt seems like it could be much more explosive than this year's. Thats pure speculation based on reports from how our recruits have faired etc.

i feel we aren't done yet...Jordan still waits

I'm with Solitude on this one. He won't be coming here, we are already out of the running for him. We will have TC, Silent G, Ennis, Buss...Maybe an outside outside outside chance Em Cee Dubs stays...But I don't see it happening.

Unless you got something from the payside?

I'm with Solitude on this one. He won't be coming here, we are already out of the running for him. We will have TC, Silent G, Ennis, Buss...Maybe an outside outside outside chance Em Cee Dubs stays...But I don't see it happening.

Unless you got something from the payside?

even better...the darkside

So we have 10 scholarship players this year. I think a couple of walk-ons have scholarships. We are allowed 13. Are we still being hit by the APR a couple of years ago?
Next year we have a 5 man class coming in. With 2 seniors leaving giving us a 13 scholarship class. If/when MCW announces, we will have open one scholarship. I also think it might be an interesting off season with the 5 position. I know that in the beginning of the season there was talk of Xmas leaving and I have no idea what is in Coleman's head. Neither seem to happy right now. This is just speculation. I also remember some talk about CJ possibly making the jump, but I don't for see that happening. I think he will be the star here next year. Possibly the most underrated guy in NCAA right now.

So we have 10 scholarship players this year. I think a couple of walk-ons have scholarships. We are allowed 13. Are we still being hit by the APR a couple of years ago?
Next year we have a 5 man class coming in. With 2 seniors leaving giving us a 13 scholarship class. If/when MCW announces, we will have open one scholarship. I also think it might be an interesting off season with the 5 position. I know that in the beginning of the season there was talk of Xmas leaving and I have no idea what is in Coleman's head. Neither seem to happy right now. This is just speculation. I also remember some talk about CJ possibly making the jump, but I don't for see that happening. I think he will be the star here next year. Possibly the most underrated guy in NCAA right now.
I have no idea who may be leaving, but with the situation at Kentucky, I would love for the SU staff to reach out to Dakari Johnson one last time. But, I would imagine that the thing$ that brought him to Kentucky cannot be returned.

We are using the full 13 this year.
We lose 4 seniors + MCW. Nolan Hart also has a scholarship as a jr. walk-on.
We have 5 coming in next year.

We are using the full 13 this year.
We lose 4 seniors + MCW. Nolan Hart also has a scholarship as a jr. walk-on.
We only have 4 coming in next year. McCullough is only a junior.

I thought we had 5 coming in next year (Ennis, Roberson, Johnson, Patterson and Chino)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom