Are we gonna be a doormat... | Syracusefan.com

Are we gonna be a doormat...

bothsocksup

Starter
year after year in the ACC??? Will the move essentially set us back and put us in a conference where will we have no hope of winning a title or reaching anything above mediocrity?

Uh... We are the All time winningest team in ACC history. I'm confused by your question

I definitely don't think so.

The only FB schools in the ACC with more tradition than us are FSU and ...??..????...

Fans can argue that a Pitt or a VT or a Clemson have more tradition/momentum than us, but I like our direction.

Are we gonna win the conference every year? No. Are we gonna be more than competitive? Absolutely.

Seriously? Dude CMON MAN, why do you think we have struggled recently? My belief is we haven't recruited well because the Northeast has more mouths to feed now in SU, RU, UConn, and BC. Look at BC's recruiting since they left the Big East once SU is in the ACC they will be able to recruit PA, NJ,NY, FL and get recruits because we will be in a better conference than RU and UConn.

I think that is largely dependent upon the impact our move has on recruiting, and the programs left behind.

Come on...Duke, Wake, NCSU, and even BC aren't any better than us. We're certainly not in the top tier but we won't be a doormat either.

year after year in the ACC??? Will the move essentially set us back and put us in a conference where will we have no hope of winning a title or reaching anything above mediocrity?

No. I expect the following...

Tier 1- FSU
Tier 2- Miami, VT, Clemson, GA Tech
Tier 3- Pitt, SU, UNC, UVA, MD
Tier 4- BC, NC St, Wake
Tier 5- Duke

So a typical year SU should be fighting for 3rd to 5th in our division and be around 5-4 in conference.

Tier 1- FSU
Tier 4- BC, NC St, Wake
Tier 5- Duke

So a typical year SU should be fighting for 3rd to 5th in our division and be around 5-4 in conference.

I would put Clemson with FSU in Tier 1 and move UVa to Tier 4. You might want to hold a Tier 6 open for Rutgers also.

Tier 1- FSU
Tier 4- BC, NC St, Wake
Tier 5- Duke

I'd either switch UVA for NC State or bring UVA down to Tier 4 but otherwise spot on.

Its got to be hard to recruit when your conference schedule is mostly teams no one is interested in. I'm sure thats why Mich and ND can recruit outa here so easily against us(plus they are Fb powers, name wise). Telling athletes that they could play FSU, Clemson, VT, MD, GT, PITT will change alot. Plus we will be able to recruit some of those areas alot better. plus being able to play about 1 game a year in the new Meadowlands against a big time opponent should be a plus. I see our talent level increasing a lot over the next 5 years as long as marone plans out as a good coach(i think he will).

just my opinion

I definitely don't think so.

The only FB schools in the ACC with more tradition than us are FSU and ...??..????...

Fans can argue that a Pitt or a VT or a Clemson have more tradition/momentum than us, but I like our direction.

Are we gonna win the conference every year? No. Are we gonna be more than competitive? Absolutely.

Goodness... we go 8-5 last year and get swept in the Dome v. Big East (with 3 wins vs. FCS schools - yes, Akron was no better than one), and suddenly were competitive and relevant again? Yes, it's a start with tremendous road wins, but first step is winning the conference home games on a regular basis. Also, when we get a Top 25 recruiting class or even a decent recruiting class, please inform me. Or when the play calling gets somewhat exciting to watch... Because if we currently struggle to reach the middle of the pack in the BE, I'm betting the grass won't be any greener in the ACC. Duke is about the only team I'm confident we should be better than every year. Until things change we'll likely fall in the bottom 1/3 of the league each year.

Last 10 years (plus 2011) our record is as follows:

vs. Big East 22-48
vs. other BCS (inc. ND) 10-22
vs. Non-BCS (inc. FCS) 20-4

Unless Marrone has something up his sleeve, our record won't change much in the ACC. And you can't tell me it's because past recruits don't want to play at SU because of playing a BE schedule, because there's no excuse for Uconn to have surpassed us over the last few years, or for Pitt to practically own us, or to be breaking even with Rutgers... etc. The players are out there, just not signing w/ SU.

Goodness... we go 8-5 last year and get swept in the Dome v. Big East (with 3 wins vs. FCS schools - yes, Akron was no better than one), and suddenly were competitive and relevant again? Yes, it's a start with tremendous road wins, but first step is winning the conference home games on a regular basis. Also, when we get a Top 25 recruiting class or even a decent recruiting class, please inform me. Or when the play calling gets somewhat exciting to watch... Because if we currently struggle to reach the middle of the pack in the BE, I'm betting the grass won't be any greener in the ACC. Duke is about the only team I'm confident we should be better than every year. Until things change we'll likely fall in the bottom 1/3 of the league each year.

Last 10 years (plus 2011) our record is as follows:

vs. Big East 22-48
vs. other BCS (inc. ND) 10-22
vs. Non-BCS (inc. FCS) 20-4

Unless Marrone has something up his sleeve, our record won't change much in the ACC. And you can't tell me it's because past recruits don't want to play at SU because of playing a BE schedule, because there's no excuse for Uconn to have surpassed us over the last few years, or for Pitt to practically own us, or to be breaking even with Rutgers... etc. The players are out there, just not signing w/ SU.
this is a really long post that makes no sense. we beat an acc team this year and we are young and terrible.

I think we will be able to be a solid tier 3 most times, with the ocasional move to a tier 2. I think in the long run this move definitely helps recruiting. I think this move helps to keep or attract when need be good to great asisstant coaches. Something that is a huge part of the success of a program but not often discussed. No longer can we be talked about negatively as to our future and the BE's instability. Recruiting wise...maybe have an easier in with kids from the south who get overlooked or not offered by the schools of their choice. Might add some cachet for the bigger fish we hook but can't reel in. Particularly the ones we lose to ND and Penn St. Gives us unfortunately a chance to recruit our BE areas and say hey...whats your future if you go to some BE conference school?

We have had a winning record twice in 10 years. Aren't we already pretty much the doormat? Heck, we just lost to Rutgers. Yes, things are improving, but every person in our fan base and every player on the team should have a "fighting out of the basement" mentality right now. We are the doormat until we win something meaningful.

44cuse

No. I think next year 'Cuse and Pitt will be in the ACC. So we'll have a 5th year QB, with NFL potential. Our young defense will have a year under it's belt. Dyshawn Davis looks to be a stud. Broyld looks like the possbile QB of the future. We'll have Devante McFarlane who I think will come in and start at HB. Ameen-Moore has great promise at running back. Chandler will be healthy and be a 5th year DE. Jarrod West looks to be a great receiver. Reddish I think will develop into a star. Pugh already has NFL scouts looking at him. We have a bright future that Marrone is building. We've been competitive in every game this season so far. We're close to getting back to greatness.

Last year we had a senior laden team. We shouldn't expect this team to do the same thing. I still expect a bowl and think we will get in one. Just remember people, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I would put Clemson with FSU in Tier 1 and move UVa to Tier 4. You might want to hold a Tier 6 open for Rutgers also.

I know Clemson just beat Va Tech, but I'd be more inclined to have VT Tier 1 over Clemson. VT is just unbelievably consistent - they win 10 games virtually every year and have gone to multiple BCS bowls in recent years while Clemson has never been to one.

I still don't see Rutgers to the ACC... what do they bring to the table athletically that the ACC would want? They don't fit the profile academically either. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

We have had a winning record twice in 10 years. Aren't we already pretty much the doormat? Heck, we just lost to Rutgers. Yes, things are improving, but every person in our fan base and every player on the team should have a "fighting out of the basement" mentality right now. We are the doormat until we win something meaningful.

44cuse
That's a "the glass in half-empty" approach which you're certainly entitled to.

we haven't recruited well because the Northeast has more mouths to feed now in SU, RU, UConn, and BC. .
That's a huge myth. Combine the best players from all those teams and you still won't have a top 25 club.

I know Clemson just beat Va Tech, but I'd be more inclined to have VT Tier 1 over Clemson. VT is just unbelievably consistent - they win 10 games virtually every year and have gone to multiple BCS bowls in recent years while Clemson has never been to one.

FSU is the only program who can actually make a NCG. That is why I have them alone. Clemson is the most overrated program outside of ND. From 1960-1976 they ended the year ranked ZERO times. Then they started cheating and were a very good program (awesome during the 80s). Once they got caught TWICE and once FSU joined the ACC, they have been a non factor. From 1992 to today, they have had ONE Top 20 finish (14/16 in 2000).

FSU is the only program who can actually make a NCG. That is why I have them alone. Clemson is the most overrated program outside of ND. From 1960-1976 they ended the year ranked ZERO times. Then they started cheating and were a very good program (awesome during the 80s). Once they got caught TWICE and once FSU joined the ACC, they have been a non factor. From 1992 to today, they have had ONE Top 20 finish (14/16 in 2000).

Off to a hell of a start this year though. wins versus Auburn, FSU, and VT aint to shabby

This really demonstrates Shooch's point about how program's are percieved - Clemson hasn't done any better on the field than Pitt, but ask your average idiot college football fan And they'd tell you Clemson is way better than Pitt. Somehow The ACC has managed to parlay mediocre results into a perception of greatness. Good for them/us, it takes a lot of marketing skill to convince people your chicken crap is fantasic chicken salad and they've succeeded...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom