Arkansas thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Arkansas thoughts

Im not one to make excuses for guys I think are playing poorly, but its stupid not to take the situations under consideration as well as the raw numbers.

Remember Onuaku in out of conference games? He hated playing against smaller quicker teams that pushed the ball up the court, and I'd say Coleman is as close physically to Onuaku as any of his Syracuse predictors. Onuaku always picked his game up for Big East play and I expect Coleman to do the same. If he doesn't I wont make any excuses for him.

As for Cooney, he played his first game outside where you could not shoot, and understandably didn't play much. I didn't expect him to play much against Arkansas either because of how often they press, but he did, and he did a fine job handling the press. I was expecting Boeheim to ride Triche and Carter-Williams in every game Syracuse got pressed this year, and it doesn't look like he will have to. That is an unexpected plus in my book.

Agreed on AO. In a lot of cases he ended up being too big and got himself in foul trouble because anytime he touched someone they would fall to the ground. Maybe it's similar with Rak.

2)DC. I love DC's game. You cannot teach soft passes, hands, and positioning for a shot that he has from day 1.

My only concern is he is playing smaller by attacking the rim at angles from below/low, not going up high. By doing that, he's inviting anyone 6"6" and up to impact his shot. I'm curious if that is something the coaches are working on now, if it's something that fixable within a short period of time, etc...

Yes. (If by 6'6" you mean 6'2" - which was, I think, the height of the rather unathletic Bloomsburg kid who blocked his shot.)

Coleman has a lot of tools, but I was probably way too enthused about him after the Pace game. He does play small (who knows how quickly he'll improve that liability with the shot; it took Scoop a redshirt season to fix his and Josh Pace was never able to correct his release) and his high motor has only been apparent in spurts (on Friday, yes for the second half but an emphatic no for his early minutes).

Im not one to make excuses for guys I think are playing poorly, but its stupid not to take the situations under consideration as well as the raw numbers.

Remember Onuaku in out of conference games? He hated playing against smaller quicker teams that pushed the ball up the court, and I'd say Coleman is as close physically to Onuaku as any of his Syracuse predictors. Onuaku always picked his game up for Big East play**** and I expect Coleman to do the same. If he doesn't I wont make any excuses for him.

As for Cooney, he played his first game outside where you could not shoot, and understandably didn't play much. I didn't expect him to play much against Arkansas either because of how often they press, but he did, and he did a fine job handling the press. I was expecting Boeheim to ride Triche and Carter-Williams in every game Syracuse got pressed this year, and it doesn't look like he will have to. That is an unexpected plus in my book.

**** Except against Connecticut and Pittsburgh.

(Sorry)

Remember Onuaku in out of conference games? He hated playing against smaller quicker teams that pushed the ball up the court, and I'd say Coleman is as close physically to Onuaku as any of his Syracuse predictors. Onuaku always picked his game up for Big East play and I expect Coleman to do the same. If he doesn't I wont make any excuses for him.

I understand your points, just please don't call it a "not a coleman or cooney friendly game"

those are called limitations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom