Army Game Thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Thread...

Watched the game online. This was a great game, a tale of two halves (and then some.).

I think this team is better than the Albany game. Perhaps the Bingo game gave them a little too much confidence. Regardless, this team is a solid tem. Still not as fast as I would like (circa 80s and 90s) but I will take these kids over most others.

Tremendous win. The season was on life support in the first half. Team grew up today.

I think this team is better than the Albany game. Perhaps the Bingo game gave them a little too much confidence. Regardless, this team is a solid team. Still not as fast as I would like (circa 80s and 90s) but I will take these kids over most others.

Agree. This team, unless something happens or someone really breaks out, is not contending for the title with all the youth on the offense. The Albany game was just a really bad game that grew out of control as the deficit got larger. This week, the deficit was there but the guys came out calmer and just played the game instead of forcing things.

He’s definitely the real deal, game seemed to turnaround when he started gettin some PT IMO.
Murphy played ssdm and did very well. Kennedy should play. Fusco not so much. Love Dordevic, wild shots and all. At least he's not polite. Trimboli much better than above posts. Rehfuss runs around entirely too much. Solomon fine. Delisle should start. Army bullied them in the first half. When SU started busting heads, the whole team woke up. Murphy is not courteous either. A little scrappiness went a long way. Madonna well...

Redhead091. Happy Simmons and lane were on the field in the 3rd overtime? Trimboli almost cost Cuse the comeback with 3 stupid shots in a row. The defense won the game after Lipka threw the ball away and Curry turned it over twice. Kudos to Madonna. If you can play better than anyone out on the field, feel free to offer your services.

Perhaps those you criticize are doing what they are told by the offensive genius, Donahue. Maybe that’s where fault lies. How do you run the same non productive group for 2 overtimes straight? How when you had the best attack and midfield in the country for 3 of the last 5 years can you not design an offense around those players, not your West Gen box? Those are the questions to ask.

Redhead091. Happy Simmons and lane were on the field in the 3rd overtime? Trimboli almost cost Cuse the comeback with 3 stupid shots in a row. The defense won the game after Lipka threw the ball away and Curry turned it over twice. Kudos to Madonna. If you can play better than anyone out on the field, feel free to offer your services.

Perhaps those you criticize are doing what they are told by the offensive genius, Donahue. Maybe that’s where fault lies. How do you run the same non productive group for 2 overtimes straight? How when you had the best attack and midfield in the country for 3 of the last 5 years can you not design an offense around those players, not your West Gen box? Those are the questions to ask.
Everyone knows it’s not the coaches or the system but the players that are in the system, don’t you see that? I thought the continuation of alley dodges and shots within 10 secs is the offense? God forbid the coach put together an offense that utilizes each players strength. If he did that, we wouldn’t be able to write about how horrible certain players are.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, it’s a good post that not many on the board have insight to or want to acknowledge. I imagine you know someone in the system or has been there within the last 5 years. Still baffled how the 2015 didn’t make it to MDW.

You need an offensive coach to adapt his set to the players that are on the roster opposed to trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. (Would love to see some youth movement on the coaching staff). Clearly the O is struggling to find cohesion and the lack of fall ball shows this. Hopefully the kinks are worked out over the next couple of weeks and the offense starts to click. Good to see two of the board whipping boys get a run in OT and one of them score the game winner.

Big difference in first and second half was ball movement and getting the defense to rotate. Offense stalls when players hold the ball too long or others stand and watch someone dodge. Spin the ball, move the D and find odd man advantages on the back side

Defense was impressive in the 2nd half and Madonna made huge saves in OT

This O is not a dodging O. They don't have the athletic ability to consistently dodge and beat their defenders, at least I haven't seen it yet. The offence seems like more of a blob than any type of strategy. Against teams like Army that slide early, often and quickly, packing 3 guys in tight on the crease is not going to work. I want to seem some open sets, 1-4-1 and quick changes between open and 14 sets to challenge the defensive slide communication. Forcing a team like Army to slide adjacent would have been a good strategy. Ball movement is going to be the key for the O to be successful, not dodging.

Third post, all three about the second line midfield and two of three hammering Donahue. Seems like you have connection with someone on the second line and an axe to grind with Kevin. Personally, I love hard nosed, blue collar middies on the second line. Guys in the past like Fietta, licameli, Dougherty, Danny Hardy, etc. guys that do it all between the lines and shine at the optimal time.

As for the end of the game, I was very happy that Simmons was on the field and scored the game winner. There are limited opportunities for his grandfather to see him play, so any chance he gets, I am happy.

This O is not a dodging O. They don't have the athletic ability to consistently dodge and beat their defenders, at least I haven't seen it yet. The offence seems like more of a blob than any type of strategy. Against teams like Army that slide early, often and quickly, packing 3 guys in tight on the crease is not going to work. I want to seem some open sets, 1-4-1 and quick changes between open and 14 sets to challenge the defensive slide communication. Forcing a team like Army to slide adjacent would have been a good strategy. Ball movement is going to be the key for the O to be successful, not dodging.
Very good analysis, post more often.

Felt for Dami he made a few bone head plays push in back and didn’t talk through a pick that led to a goal! but all part of the learning process. He’ll be back!

Excellent post, as noted please post more as its clear you have an intimate knowledge about the game.

I think you make some valid points about Donahue perhaps not having a great handle on where to take this young offense but some of your points I have to push back on. Did Lipka and Curry both have a brutal turnover, yes but Lipka also had two goals and looked extremely active. With young players like them (a true frosh and a r-shirt frosh) your going to have some ups and downs. I do agree with you that from an offensive standpoint the first two overtimes SU left a lot to be desired. Trimboli's shots were very ill advised especially after Baretto showed he has zero issue stopping stick side high at the end of the first overtime. The shot he took at the end of one of the OT's that hit the army player in the head was probably a gold if he didn't get in the way as that was head far post and Baretto was looking near post and was late with his reaction.

As far as the last few years, outside of Rice, Staats, and Galasso's senior year where SU had one of the best offenses in the country I dont think SU has had anywhere close to the best offense in the nation, certainly not the best attack and midfield the last 3 out of 5 years. The attack unit the last two years has left a lot to be desired and as good as the midfield was the last two seasons with Mariano and Salcido I don't think they had a top 5 offense. Donahue has certainly had some questionable game plans - See the Bryant playoff loss but he's also done a pretty good job when you consider the flaws this offense has had since losing that great senior class, some of which can be contributed to recruiting misses which falls on the shoulders of the staff especially Desko.

As for Lane and Simmons I think people are rooting for them I know I am but at some point you have to be honest about their performances. Both are red-shirt seniors who have had some good games in their careers here but they clearly have been passed over by younger midfielders as there are no upperclassmen on the first line. Both players still have prominent roles on the team with Lane starting on the man up unit and both of them being on the second mid line. Most people feel that the younger mids at this point probably have a higher ceiling but there is still 10 games to go and Lane and Simmons will continue to get opportunities to shine.

Last edited:
We scored 10 goals in the second half against a strong Army defense. Not too shabby
Shows what the offense can do against a good defense. Need to play both halves that way and defense needs to play stingy like it did in the second half. This is a young team, I see a lot to be learned but these kids will learn it.

P.S. it was good to see some leadership (players and staff) in the keeping calm department, most young players in any sport will get spooked being down so much to a good team. The kids did not let the score get into their collective heads and mentally kept themselves in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom