Army Game Thread... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Thread...

My undertstading is that he is ineligible for entire season but he can practice with team so fully involved outside games. Dressing surprises but guess within rules. He was improving so loss but Dearth and Hel;mer are doing a great job and Barlow and Small have provided good depth

Here's where the confusion comes in...

This was a CitrusTV tweet from last week's game:

She wasn't on the sideline yesterday, so I couldn't ask her for clarification. Maybe she got it wrong.

Refhus robbed a few times but have yet to see his speed create breakdowns. Maybe spacing or lack of.

Solomon taken for granted. Crease dive was beautiful move as was his hesitation freezing Surdick for goal Makes the skip pass and has great hands. Be more appreciated next year

Trimboli's overhand shots from either hand are well placed and high % . He needs to receive more passes coming in. Lipka's rips very well on move, yesterday he was on target. Last goal a beauty. Carlin made a great pass to Refhus at goal that Baretto somehow recovered and stuffed. Just a matter of time before Magnan settles and contributes. He was also robbed by G as well as Voigt a few times

Refhus robbed a few times but have yet to see his speed create breakdowns. Maybe spacing or lack of.

Solomon taken for granted. Crease dive was beautiful move as was his hesitation freezing Surdick for goal Makes the skip pass and has great hands. Be more appreciated next year

Solomon was excellent yesterday, didn't really force anything and really carried an attack unit that again struggled outside of 1 guy. Rehfuss issue seems that hes drawing the teams best defender and that he looks a step or two slow. Don't know if that is due to injury or something else. Either way he needs to snap out of it by next Sat or you have to start considering given Cook a shot to see significant minutes at his spot.

Solomon was excellent yesterday, didn't really force anything and really carried an attack unit that again struggled outside of 1 guy. Rehfuss issue seems that hes drawing the teams best defender and that he looks a step or two slow. Don't know if that is due to injury or something else. Either way he needs to snap out of it by next Sat or you have to start considering given Cook a shot to see significant minutes at his spot.

Rehfuss had the flu last week. Maybe he's still not 100%?

Rehfuss had the flu last week. Maybe he's still not 100%?

Possible but to be honest he hasn't looked right since Colgate. Perhaps he was sick then as well? He did seem a bit more active yesterday and obviously Surdick is a top defender but we have to get more consistency out of him as Voigt is likely to be feast or famine based on his inability to dodge.

Possible but to be honest he hasn't looked right since Colgate. Perhaps he was sick then as well? He did seem a bit more active yesterday and obviously Surdick is a top defender but we have to get more consistency out of him as Voigt is likely to be feast or famine based on his inability to dodge.
He has been healthy since Colgate. Line could have been 2-1-3 if not for Baretto but too good a player to be not prominent in offense, likely several factors at play , do expect him to have good game vs wide open UVA.

Agree with what Desko said postgame that spacing is key and something that they will work on. The close shots can sometimes take away angles and a good goalie is able to follow the stick. From the presser it sounds like getting guys in better position will result in more goals and will be emphasized this week in practice.

Agree with what Desko said postgame that spacing is key and something that they will work on. The close shots can sometimes take away angles and a good goalie is able to follow the stick. From the presser it sounds like getting guys in better position will result in more goals and will be emphasized this week in practice.

I thought spacing was a huge issue in the second half, as someone noted in this thread earlier it seemed like guys were almost playing on top of each other. Still finding away to get 5 goals each half against a really good Army defense and without a top end offensive player at attack or midfield with Dordevic out is impressive. Need Curry to be more aggressive and I like what I am seeing from the second mid line. Once Quinn gets back thats a real nice 4 man second line Desko can call on.

Spacing could be better but Baretto stood on his head at times.

Ride it out , he'll come around . 28-20-48 last year no fluke and Voigt less effective with him out. Think staff doing good job integrating Cook, talented rook but not ready for heavy usage yet

Too bold! I don’t know that college lacrosse will ever see a two way player like Abbott elite SSDM and a very good offensive middy, dearth is neither of those at this time.

Agree, but if he can be a poor mans one man clear that's enough.

Some quick thoughts, most probably have already been covered, but here we go -

Strange day offensively - it felt like with the defense playing as well as it did, and the face-off victories, Syracuse should have had a much bigger lead throughout the game. Some bad habits reappeared, bad spacing, some really curious shot selection, and some bad shot placement. Not sure what SU has to do to correct these things. The flip side of the coin is that there was some very nice ball movement that resulted in some very good doorstep opportunities, but the Army goalie seemed to teleport right in front of the ball. Sometimes it is indeed some bad luck. Kudos for the Orange for not giving up and keep pounding away. A tough, gritty win indeed.

Starting to get concerned wit Rhefuss, he's never been the most physical player in the world, but he looks totally unlike himself these past few weeks. I am hoping that the flu is a big reason why. He looks to be shrinking from contact and even his shooting doesn't have the same sort of confidence. A lot of credit to Solomon for grinding out goals and putting defenders on their heels, he has looked very strong (physically) to me so far this season.

Encouraged by the play of Buttermore and the midfielders in general. Makes me wonder if, attack continues to be an issue next year, one of the midfielders could move down there? Either way having five very solid midfielders is a real luxury. Hopefully Quinn or Magnan starts producing soon as well. I wish Curry was more aggressive against Army, he had the short stick on him most of the game and took only two shots. He is the best offensive player for the Orange right now and he has to be more involved.

Defense was great and was especially impressed by Cunningham, Dearth, Murphy and of course Porter. Cunningham played mistake free defense, Dearth had to have been the most active player on the field, Porter again totally locked in and what can you say about Murphy stepping up like that? He looked much better as a close defenseman than a short stick d-middie, and makes me feel confident for the close unit next year. Thought for sure they would have moved Kennedy down, but glad they went with Murphy.

Phaup has been great so far this year, he gets the clamp so quickly and wins to himself almost effortlessly. A little worried with the punishment he takes, I wish he could better communicate with his wings so he could get out of harms way quicker. He has been very respectful of his teammates and always credits the group of fogos on the team, which I think is great. Army didn't come in with the best stats but it is still great to see that kind of performance. Must be the #37 jersey!

Murphy had a very good game at close D. He has looked lost with a short stick, that experiment should end. I was surprised to see that he was Bomberry's replacement at the start of the game, but it was a seamless transition.

Murphy had a very good game at close D. He has looked lost with a short stick, that experiment should end. I was surprised to see that he was Bomberry's replacement at the start of the game, but it was a seamless transition.

Didn't surprise. Nichterm appeared to be the only army attackman with speed who could initiate, the taller att. were reliant on him and others to create space off slides. That won't be case with UVA attack especially now with Moore there. VA quickness up front as well as on their talented first line of mids will be truest test for our D but think we are deeper and transition can actually bring out the best in our offense.

Army has a very good D, we still put up 10 with Baretto making half a dozen brilliant saves. Always room for improvement in spacing but we are slowly but surely getting there. Lipka zoned in after off target in first two , Trimboli going overhand with both hands, Buttermore emerging, Carlin and others contributing. I can hear the horn sounds of Refhus train coming around the track

Some quick thoughts, most probably have already been covered, but here we go -

Strange day offensively - it felt like with the defense playing as well as it did, and the face-off victories, Syracuse should have had a much bigger lead throughout the game. Some bad habits reappeared, bad spacing, some really curious shot selection, and some bad shot placement. Not sure what SU has to do to correct these things. The flip side of the coin is that there was some very nice ball movement that resulted in some very good doorstep opportunities, but the Army goalie seemed to teleport right in front of the ball. Sometimes it is indeed some bad luck. Kudos for the Orange for not giving up and keep pounding away. A tough, gritty win indeed.

Starting to get concerned wit Rhefuss, he's never been the most physical player in the world, but he looks totally unlike himself these past few weeks. I am hoping that the flu is a big reason why. He looks to be shrinking from contact and even his shooting doesn't have the same sort of confidence. A lot of credit to Solomon for grinding out goals and putting defenders on their heels, he has looked very strong (physically) to me so far this season.

Encouraged by the play of Buttermore and the midfielders in general. Makes me wonder if, attack continues to be an issue next year, one of the midfielders could move down there? Either way having five very solid midfielders is a real luxury. Hopefully Quinn or Magnan starts producing soon as well. I wish Curry was more aggressive against Army, he had the short stick on him most of the game and took only two shots. He is the best offensive player for the Orange right now and he has to be more involved.

Defense was great and was especially impressed by Cunningham, Dearth, Murphy and of course Porter. Cunningham played mistake free defense, Dearth had to have been the most active player on the field, Porter again totally locked in and what can you say about Murphy stepping up like that? He looked much better as a close defenseman than a short stick d-middie, and makes me feel confident for the close unit next year. Thought for sure they would have moved Kennedy down, but glad they went with Murphy.

Phaup has been great so far this year, he gets the clamp so quickly and wins to himself almost effortlessly. A little worried with the punishment he takes, I wish he could better communicate with his wings so he could get out of harms way quicker. He has been very respectful of his teammates and always credits the group of fogos on the team, which I think is great. Army didn't come in with the best stats but it is still great to see that kind of performance. Must be the #37 jersey!
Disagree on Cunningham being mistake free, beginning of the 4th quarter, Army's 6th goal. Porter was standing on his head making saves. This one trickled out in front of the net. Army picked it up and popped it in front of Cunningham. CHECK THE STICK.

Rehfuss appears out of shape, unfortunately the only way to get him into shape is by playing him. Hopefully it’s just a few more weeks. If he doesn’t improve we have to move Curry down. We have soooo many middies that deserve time. Including playing Cook through the box.

Rehfuss appears out of shape, unfortunately the only way to get him into shape is by playing him. Hopefully it’s just a few more weeks. If he doesn’t improve we have to move Curry down. We have soooo many middies that deserve time. Including playing Cook through the box.

I don't know I highly doubt he is out of shape. He knew coming in to this season that he would need to lead the attack and I would be surprised if he slacked on his conditioning. I'm gonna go with the simple answer for this one. Desko said he had the flu and was not even planning on playing him that much for the Albany game. D1 lacrosse practices and games are not the recommended ways to recover from the flu and that is probably still affecting him somewhat

I don't know I highly doubt he is out of shape. He knew coming in to this season that he would need to lead the attack and I would be surprised if he slacked on his conditioning. I'm gonna go with the simple answer for this one. Desko said he had the flu and was not even planning on playing him that much for the Albany game. D1 lacrosse practices and games are not the recommended ways to recover from the flu and that is probably still affecting him somewhat

If Rehfuss had what I had, I feel for him. I was on my ass for 4 days, and it took me two weeks to fully recover.

If Rehfuss had what I had, I feel for him. I was on my ass for 4 days, and it took me two weeks to fully recover.
Agreed.I had that earlier this year. No doubt it takes everything out of you for quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom