Army West Point Lookahead | Syracusefan.com

Army West Point Lookahead

Powellfan

All American
I will try and keep this short, but it seems like there is a lot to discuss after an action packed win against the Great Danes. Army West Point should be another tough matchup for the Orange, this schedule really does not let up.

I was amazed at how well the defensive played against Albany, I can't remember an SU defense that played with that much aggression and physicality. Things started pretty haphazardly with three goals allowed in the first, but they really settled in after that. Porter has a little swagger to his game and really looked locked in. I can't say enough good things about Bomberry's performance - he seemed to be all over the place. It wasn't even just his one-on-one matchup with Tehoka, but his groundball play was pretty amazing too, finishing with seven, a few of them in high traffic situations. Have not seen Army play, but their leading scorer (a freshman) has almost double the points as the next leading player on the team with 11 in two games. He stands 6' so it sounds like Mellen should be able to be matched up with him. I know Albany presents a very unique look (Desko pointed it out in the press conference about the one-handedness), but it was still a really good game plan and execution. Hope it continues!

Looks like Army's face-offf game has been Jeklle and Hyde - a very bad game against UMass followed by a good game against Rutgers. SU was pretty good against Albany, especially in the second and third quarters when they pulled away. Encouraged by Phaup, he seems to be really good at winning the ball to himself. He also has a much higher winning percentage than Varello so will be interesting to see how things progress. I hope they keep splitting reps evenly to keep one another fresh.

Offense looked much better against Albany with their movement and passing. If Voigt is putting up numbers like he did on Saturday, you know something is working. Now there are still some trouble areas that have been much discussed in regards to shooting, but you have to think that things will start falling sooner rather than later for Lipka and Trimboli. Trimboli especially, if he is going to draw the short stick, has to make teams pay. Can't say enough good things about Curry, great passing and the shots he makes a really something behold. Army has given up double digit goals in both games, but they were against strong teams and Barretto has a 60% save percentage. SU should be familiar with him by now, but Army goalies always seem to play well in the Dome.

This game is always a good one so you would hope that Syracuse doesn't over look this one heading into a clash with UVa the following weekend. If they bring the same intensity that they did against the Danes they should be in good shape the rest of the season. Let's see if that was an aberration or the way things will be from here on out.

Props to Bomberry this past weekend he was awesome, hope he keeps it going all season.
With Dordevic out this season Trimboli needs to step it up and for the love of god learn how to change your levels on shots. It's gotta be way to easy for other teams scouting him because he's going top shelf 95% of the time.

I believe Rutgers FOGO was hurt that game so that may have something to do with the Jeckyl Hyde face-offs. Hopefully that means Army's replacement for the guy who graduated just isnt that good. Wing play will need to be on point as they always have some athletic bruisers. IF Phaup wins the clamp his play after is close to perfect. His exits when albany tried putting a pole against him were incredible and as you said his percentages are better than Varello's as of now. I would like him seeing more reps than Varello against army who will probably rely on their wing play.

Different opponent means different test ,matchups, approaches for D but hopefully similar results. Im bit skeptical. Bombery stickskiils never deserted hi, they are superb but issue has been mobility especially in space, UA game plan was to look to double whenever Tehoka started lowering himself for backdowns. It worked well and Bomberry did his part, moving his feet and bodying well allowing double to come as Tehoka held the ball too long . Army's attack is not reliant on any star player. Gate's Cleveland was a problem and Bomberry assignment will likely be one of their taller attackman, help won't be as effective as Army continent will move ball better. Hopefully the upturn we just saw continues. . ... Both Trimboli and Lipka shoot better on the move rather than when planted. Trimboli is good at dodging the alleys with either hand and his overhand shots are well placed. Greater focus should be on getting him the ball on the move in space so he can attack. Some of that has to come from below , some from breaks

Just watched the Army-Marist game. Wasn’t exactly blown away by Army. Definitely can see Bomberry matching up with #42, a big attackman but not exactly overpowering. I see Mellen covering #20. He’s a freshman but has been Army’s best attackman.

Army seemed intent early on getting the ball inside. As the announcer said, they had good ball movement until the last pass. That’s why it was only 3-2 at halftime. They got some good looks off dodges and a couple broken plays in the second half.

Army rides well, looking to double or triple team between the restraining line and midfield. Marist had seven or eight failed clears.

Defense and goalie looked solid. Marist had some good chances but the goalie came up big quite a few times.

On paper, in the abstract, I can easily see this as a 12-7 type win for Syracuse. But the Marist game lacked any intensity. No doubt Sunday’s game in the Dome will be an intense affair. I can still see Syracuse winning a tight game, but the Orange have to bring the old HHH right from the beginning like they did against Albany.

Spoke with an older Army fan who said they should have had three more goals in Rutgers win but flubbed some gimmes round cage. Not sure we can gather much from a weekday game vs Marist in middle of Rutgers- Syracuse games. Ten different goal scorers for Army so far though attack centric so we will have to score some and parts of our offense as Jeremy pointed out have been struggling . Should be a very competitive contest but believe we'll need to be in double digits to win .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom