Article on success of coaches replacing "legends" | Syracusefan.com

Article on success of coaches replacing "legends"

Not as much drop off (at least in the numbers) in most of those cases than I expected. Some even had a higher win percentage.

In fairness you look at AZ, GTown, Temple(not shown) and UConn and it's pretty bad looking at things today vs just the initial transition.

In fairness you look at AZ, GTown, Temple(not shown) and UConn and it's pretty bad looking at things today vs just the initial transition.

It is almost like there was some sort of momentum that persisted for a year or two before a decline (in the cases where a decline did occur).

Which actually makes perfect sense, because the new coaches would inherit players from the previous HC, which might account for that initial non-dropoff.

Yeah, a trend I wouldn't expect to be true in the modern era, where the entire roster could leave instantly. That is potentially some of the reason two blue blood schools recently replace legend status coaches with internal guys who had no HC experience.

As I mentioned, the "guidelines" for the article to only include coaches who had won a NC, might not give a good clear picture. Its not difficult to believe that momentum in recruiting & a more restrictive transfer policy helped. Duke and UNC lost more through transfers and early leaving for the pros than any of the ones mentioned. Duke has the "advantage" of Coach K announcing a whole year ahead of time to keep 2021 recruits headed their way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom