Class of 2019 - ATH Jayvon Thrift (PA) Decommitted from YSU/Committed to WVU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 ATH Jayvon Thrift (PA) Decommitted from YSU/Committed to WVU

IMG_1238.GIF

“I’ve visited a few schools locally,” the Norwin High School standout said. “I’ve been to Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia.

“I’m going to go visit Syracuse coming up and Pitt.”

A three-year starter and all-conference performer, college scouts see Thrift as an impactful strong safety on the next level.

“They like my closing speed, how I play the ball and my aggressiveness when I tackle,” he said.

For his part, Thrift knows what he’ll be looking for in a college.

“Just the feel of it, just where I fit in,” he said.

Look for Thrift to start taking official visits in April with his eye on having a decision before the start of his senior season. He’s also planning to graduate and enroll early at the school of his choice.

Possible Junior Day visitor?

“Right now, the schools that are showing me the most interest are Syracuse, Temple and Pitt. Actually, I just got done talking with Coach Narduzzi, probably about 10 minutes ago, I was asking him about Junior Day. I’ll definitely be down to Pitt in order to watch spring ball,” said Thrift.

Syracuse is a school that is really recruiting him hard and starting to make an impact and it all started with his visit for Junior Day a couple of weeks ago.

“On that visit, I really felt the love from the Syracuse coaches and the entire program. When they had us walk down that carpet, it made us feel like superstars. That weekend really made an impression on me. The coaches kept telling me how I could make an impact on that team early.”

Thrift currently holds six offers but is getting a bunch of interest from some big schools which makes this a nerve racking time for him as he is forced to sit and wait.

“Penn State wants me to come up there and see me run the forty, I think Maryland and Northwestern are pretty close to offering, Ohio State wants me to come up to campus, show me around, watch the spring game and start to build a better connection with me. A lot of schools are getting a feel for me and I’m just to build relationships with different coaches.”

“It’s pretty much a nervous time period right now but it’s still a little exciting. I’m trying to figure out who wants me more and how I would fit in with each program,” said Thrift.

As he prepares to make some visits and build relationships with different coaches, I asked Thrift what’s the top factor that could eventually help him to make his decision on his future college.

“Something that I’m really going to be looking for is really being involved with the coaches and the program. I want to be talking with the coaches on a daily basis and building that relationship daily. No one is really doing that right now. I want to feel wanted by that school.”

Surprisingly, Thrift tells me that he hasn’t had a ton of communication in the last couple of months with Pitt prior to today. He contacted Narduzzi and asked about Pitt’s Junior Day, which is taking place on February 24, but he’ll be out of town at a 7-on-7 tournament in Las Vegas.

With there being two signing periods now, I asked Thrift if he sees himself holding out till February or making things official in December?

“I plan on signing in December and being an early enrollee at my future school. I’m not going to commit super early but I want to commit early enough so I know where I’m going,” said Thrift.

What happened here? I'm reading through this thread, and see this kid pick up Cuse, WVU, Pitt offers, he's really high on Cuse, then commits to YSU?
He didn't commit to YSU until October. Just because a kid gets a verbal offer doesn't mean it is a commitable offer and it doesn't look like he received a written offer from SU. My guess is academics.

He didn't commit to YSU until October. Just because a kid gets a verbal offer doesn't mean it is a commitable offer and it doesn't look like he received a written offer from SU. My guess is academics.
So I assume his decommit is likely due to him getting his grades in order, and feeling he can qualify at one of bigger offers now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom