Class of 2020 - ATH Justin Barron (CT) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/16/19) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 ATH Justin Barron (CT) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/16/19)

Really appreciate the positive feedback, everyone. I'm hoping to have Q&As with all the 2020 kids -- about half have previously agreed, and now it's just getting a 17-year-old to actually follow through on something.

Here's more on Barron from his coach, Drew Gamere, that I didn't put in the story. Took me about 20 phone calls, 10 messages, five emails and one passive aggressive request to get.

On his overall game: He’s a tremendous football player. He played offense and defense and didn’t leave the field. As a receiver there are concerns about his top-end speed but he has no problem creating separation. Has really good feet and hips and explosiveness. He’s going to get open, he has a really big frame. Without question going to be successful.

On is playing on the basketball team helps him at all: Our kids play multiple sports which is what we encourage here. It translates. He’s a terrific athlete, but the explosiveness translates well to the receiver position.

What he needs to improve on for SU: The level [of play] is going to change. So for him it’s going to be creating space. I think he’s explosive now but he’ll have to get off the ball quicker. Have to get the DBs on their heels faster. In terms of the overall skill package he really has it all. If you can get a little bit faster in straight-end speed that will help, but he’s explosive, makes tough catches in space and is prepared for the college game.

On if playing with Van Dyke has helped prepare him for SU: He’s received balls from a top-level thrower, so in terms of that, that’ll help him. Just from a timing standpoint -- run the hitch and the quick 3 step and expect the ball to be there before you turn. He’s already had that at this level.

Really appreciate the positive feedback, everyone. I'm hoping to have Q&As with all the 2020 kids -- about half have previously agreed, and now it's just getting a 17-year-old to actually follow through on something.

Here's more on Barron from his coach, Drew Gamere, that I didn't put in the story. Took me about 20 phone calls, 10 messages, five emails and one passive aggressive request to get.

On his overall game: He’s a tremendous football player. He played offense and defense and didn’t leave the field. As a receiver there are concerns about his top-end speed but he has no problem creating separation. Has really good feet and hips and explosiveness. He’s going to get open, he has a really big frame. Without question going to be successful.

On is playing on the basketball team helps him at all: Our kids play multiple sports which is what we encourage here. It translates. He’s a terrific athlete, but the explosiveness translates well to the receiver position.

What he needs to improve on for SU: The level [of play] is going to change. So for him it’s going to be creating space. I think he’s explosive now but he’ll have to get off the ball quicker. Have to get the DBs on their heels faster. In terms of the overall skill package he really has it all. If you can get a little bit faster in straight-end speed that will help, but he’s explosive, makes tough catches in space and is prepared for the college game.

On if playing with Van Dyke has helped prepare him for SU: He’s received balls from a top-level thrower, so in terms of that, that’ll help him. Just from a timing standpoint -- run the hitch and the quick 3 step and expect the ball to be there before you turn. He’s already had that at this level.
blowing kiss.gif

I wonder if the lack of top-end speed moves him eventually to TE.

Jerry Rice had concerns about his top end speed after his 4.71 at the combine. He's probably glad he stuck at WR.
True but his 40 time has been reported from anywhere between 4.45 to 4.71 who knows what he really ran that day lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom