Athletic dorms | Syracusefan.com

Athletic dorms

Are there any plans for new athletic dorms?
I believe this is the next thing Dino Babers would like to help make the football program competitive with recruits.

Skytop was nice back in the 1980s but other schools have moved far beyond that level of housing these days. AC, private bath rooms, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances...that is the standard we are aspiring for.

You would think so. With the proposed move by the University to relocate students from South to Main (social and financial reasons), there would have to be backup housing for the athletes unless they are in the plans as well. I lived on South and it wasn't pleasant when it was hot and if you forgot that your radiator needed to be turn on because it is electric, there were very cold nights. It was cheap housing and saved my parents a couple of dollars so it all balanced out. With that said, in the arms race that is college athletics, the current housing situation isn't really going to cut it.

I believe this is the next thing Dino Babers would like to help make the football program competitive with recruits.

Skytop was nice back in the 1980s but other schools have moved far beyond that level of housing these days. AC, private bath rooms, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances...that is the standard we are aspiring for.

Housing is where SU is really behind the curve as it pertains to player "perks". There are a number of G5 teams who have much better accommodations.

This is another thing (along with training room/rehab facility) that the school should foot the bill for and not be dependent on private donors. With the amount of money they bring in for just the cost of a scholarship this is the least the school should do for them. Really hope this gets done ASAP , espically if Dino is pushing for it

Are athletes supposed to live in a higher rent district than the rest of the student body? That seems like an abuse of the "special benefits" rules of the NCAA.

Are athletes supposed to live in a higher rent district than the rest of the student body? That seems like an abuse of the "special benefits" rules of the NCAA.

Your question is a good one. I don't think that Athletic Dorms are allowed by the NCAA, at least in the traditiuonal sense of the term. What schools do is build these palaces and a certain percentage of the residents of those special dorms are "regular" students.

I think this was the case at Louisville with the strippers at the Dorm.

Your question is a good one. I don't think that Athletic Dorms are allowed by the NCAA, at least in the traditiuonal sense of the term. What schools do is build these palaces and a certain percentage of the residents of those special dorms are "regular" students.

I think this was the case at Louisville with the strippers at the Dorm.

Exactly. That's how Kansas handles their "basketball" dorm also.

I could be wrong, but do a lot of the upperclassmen move into non-university apartment housing?

Not to mention an integrated high end dining experience with nuturitionist and professional chef.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom