Athletic on recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Athletic on recruiting

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I know we lost a few of our fireball recruiters but I guess the question is how do we know. The Athletic has us last in recruiting and put up a telling stat - 55 top 1,000 kids in NY and neighboring states (I think NY had 2 for those of you who think we need to clean up in NY), Rutgirls signed 5 we signed 0.

Not a recruiting guru by any means but if that was our result with our aces....we might be in trouble.

Rutgers recruiting numbers are inflated, and has been proven to not be accurate

Our recruiting is bottom 3-4 of the ACC and most of the time is why we are picked to finish at the bottom or actually do. BUT sometimes, we do better than our recruiting would indicate (unlike Rutgers).

They also do this thing where they judge classes by number of kids x their player rank. If you have a small class, you get dinged.

Not sure in the times where kids transfer and portal is open that HS recruiting holds the same weight.

Finally, there's a case to be made that the problems we face are systemic and inherent to a NY private school outside of a recruiting hotbed. Recruiting here is hard.

I think as long as the staff is hitting the portal relatively harder than most ACC teams, especially with upper P5 talent, I'm not really concerned with our HS recruiting. I also think this nfl draft will help with future recruiting because we're going to get what...potential 1st rounder and a few day 2 picks? That's got to count for something

I think that any recruiting assessment that doesn't take the portal into account is inherently flawed in today's game. Too much fluctuation in the portal. However, the premise that our recruiting struggles are very real is very valid. I do think that at some point the portal dust will settle down and traditional recruiting will re-emerge as a primary approach. Hopefully, we can get our collective stuff together by then

if you are going to evaluate classes and do it the easy way then spit balling numbers together does it.

We’ve had seven winning seasons this whole millennium IIRC. It’s hard if not impossible to recruit well when young high schoolers have never seen your team win.

Yet we’re sending at least three players to the NFL draft this year. Also tons of teams have poached our players. Dino knows how to develop talent.

In fairness we’ve sent very few players to the NFL under DB’s tenure. He’s sent 7 and a couple of those he didn’t recruit. Even our peer schools are avg more than that in the last ~7 years. BC has had almost 40% more drafted than us. So I wouldn’t necessarily say that “DB knows how to develop talent”.

In fairness we’ve sent very few players to the NFL under DB’s tenure. He’s sent 7 and a couple of those he didn’t recruit. Even our peer schools are avg more than that in the last ~7 years. BC has had almost 40% more drafted than us. So I wouldn’t necessarily say that “DB knows how to develop talent”.

Only seven players have gone to the NFL during Dino’s tenure? (Including guys he didn’t recruit). Seriously?

Not counting the 2023 draft that hasn’t occurred yet, that’s an average of 1.16 players per draft. That seems MAC caliber TBH.

Only seven players have gone to the NFL during Dino’s tenure? (Including guys he didn’t recruit). Seriously?

Not counting the 2023 draft that hasn’t occurred yet, that’s an average of 1.16 players per draft. That seems MAC caliber TBH.

I included a link, easy to click and look.

Hopefully their website is accurate. I double checked it against a number of other schools, not just in the ACC and it appeared up to date.

There were ~32 4* and 5* recruits in 2023 from CT, MA, NY, NJ, PA, and MD/DC. Syracuse got zero. For Syracuse to take the next leap, they need to grab a few of these players in the traditional recruiting footprint every year. There are only 6 P5 schools located in the footprint.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff has not had recruiting contacts in the traditional footprint. Hiring Nunzio Campanile is a start to improve recruiting in the footprint.

Yet we’re sending at least three players to the NFL draft this year. Also tons of teams have poached our players. Dino knows how to develop talent.

And it’s considered a good thing that Dino could only go 7-6 with his only team that’s had three players that are projected to get drafted?

I think as long as the staff is hitting the portal relatively harder than most ACC teams, especially with upper P5 talent, I'm not really concerned with our HS recruiting. I also think this nfl draft will help with future recruiting because we're going to get what...potential 1st rounder and a few day 2 picks? That's got to count for something
We aren’t hitting the portal any harder than any other ACC school. Most schools use it quite a bit more.

There were ~32 4* and 5* recruits in 2023 from CT, MA, NY, NJ, PA, and MD/DC. Syracuse got zero. For Syracuse to take the next leap, they need to grab a few of these players in the traditional recruiting footprint every year. There are only 6 P5 schools located in the footprint.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff has not had recruiting contacts in the traditional footprint. Hiring Nunzio Campanile is a start to improve recruiting in the footprint.
Not necessarily those are just 4* and 5* based on HS rankings, not on actual playing. Marlow Wax, Sean Tucker, Mikel Jones, etc, disagree. We have been on a run of nice talent recently with guys going to the NFL lets see how the new recruits do.

We aren’t hitting the portal any harder than any other ACC school. Most schools use it quite a bit more.

Some people just can’t accept that Dino has not done a good job at building up our talent.

The recruiting rankings aren’t accurate, the NFL doesn’t know what they’re doing when they don’t draft Syracuse players and the services don’t count all these wonderful transfers Dino brings in. Always some excuse.

Last edited:
And it’s considered a good thing that Dino could only go 7-6 with his only team that’s had three players that are projected to get drafted?
We were ranked in the CFP in November and made a bowl game; I don’t know about you but I was satisfied.

We were ranked in the CFP in November and made a bowl game; I don’t know about you but I was satisfied.

Making a bowl game is a weak standard for success, and it’s only the second time in seven years that Dino has even done that.

Oh, God. We were ranked during the season. Frankly, you judge a season by the final ranking, not the ranking at some random point of the season.

Making a bowl game is a weak standard for success, and it’s only the second time in seven years that Dino has even done that.

Oh, God. We were ranked during the season. Frankly, you judge a season by the final ranking, not the ranking at some random point of the season.
Well, you’re really fun to talk to.

For us, where we have been recently, that ranking does mean something.

The portal is probably more important than HS recruiting now. Syracuse certainly is getting higher rated transfers.
Posted this before. Bring in 10 or more transfers a year. Use NIL to retain and land transfers.

Posted this before. Bring in 10 or more transfers a year. Use NIL to retain and land transfers.
I don’t see this happening. I think Babers will continue to use the portal as is. Fill in gaps where needed in 5-6 positions per year.

Babers rally needs to focus on the portal in order to be successful. His ability to recruit is not cutting it

Syracuse’s “ability” to recruit has sucked for well over TWO DECADES.

It’s hardly a Dino Babers thing.
It’s a Syracuse thing.

In fact, when you look at a list of the highest ranked croots we’ve landed since 2000, the vast majority of those were under Dino.

Syracuse’s “ability” to recruit has sucked for well over TWO DECADES.

It’s hardly a Dino Babers thing.
It’s a Syracuse thing.

In fact, when you look at a list of the highest ranked croots we’ve landed since 2000, the vast majority of those were under Dino.
Agreed, it really is a syracuse thing. It will always be directed towards the head coach and not much getting around that but at the end of the day there really isn't too many head coaches that could come in here and make a sizeable difference. Look at Boston College, Hafley was suppose to be a lights out recruiter when he came to BC and he has never really done much there and BC had much more success the past 20 years than Syracuse. They also have the catholic/ jesuit prep high school connections. I am sure he was a great recruiter at Ohio St but when you go from selling I phones to Motorolas in a secondary market this is what happens. You have an inferior product and less potential buyers as well. It's two fold. People need to at least take a step back and understand this to a certain extent.

But hey Dino stinks at recruiting works, is what it is. It's part of the gig and goes with the territory. Shafer stunk too and so will the next guy and the guy after that. they will also stink at clock management, half time adjustments and in game decision making!! I 100% can guarantee this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom