Attendance Crown | Syracusefan.com

Attendance Crown

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Interesting story about the perennial NCAA basketball attendance leaders in Lexington. Key points:

1. Announced attendance YTD is 20,975. Cuse is at 20,650 for reference with 3 huge games left. Very good chance we pass Kentucky by the end of the year.

2. Kentucky's announced attendance EXCEEDS the number of tickets distributed. This means they count not only no shows, but everyone who enters the building on game day. Average tickets scanned going into the Kansas game was just 14,525. Believe what you like, but I have been told repeatedly that Syracuse uses tickets scanned as announced attendance now - a change from previous administrations.

3. New seating in Rupp will reduce capacity by 3,000 seats so even if they hold on this year, it will be their last on top.

Scans show slippage in UK basketball crowds. Why are fans staying home?

I wonder how many years away we are from the majority of people "attending" games via virtual reality. You wear a head mask and it completely simulates you being in the arena. 20 years from now I think the idea of sitting in front of a TV will seem as old fashioned as listening to FDRs fireside chats.

Interesting story about the perennial NCAA basketball attendance leaders in Lexington. Key points:

1. Announced attendance YTD is 20,975. Cuse is at 20,650 for reference with 3 huge games left. Very good chance we pass Kentucky by the end of the year.

2. Kentucky's announced attendance EXCEEDS the number of tickets distributed. This means they count not only no shows, but everyone who enters the building on game day. Average tickets scanned going into the Kansas game was just 14,525. Believe what you like, but I have been told repeatedly that Syracuse uses tickets scanned as announced attendance now - a change from previous administrations.

3. New seating in Rupp will reduce capacity by 3,000 seats so even if they hold on this year, it will be their last on top.

Scans show slippage in UK basketball crowds. Why are fans staying home?

The Kentucky Basketball brand embracing cheating on all levels.

Interesting that they are removing 3,000 seats and no one cares

I wonder how many years away we are from the majority of people "attending" games via virtual reality. You wear a head mask and it completely simulates you being in the arena. 20 years from now I think the idea of sitting in front of a TV will seem as old fashioned as listening to FDRs fireside chats.
will the head mask spill simulated beer on you as fat ass loud mouth juggles six drafts back to his seat ?
and will a blinking light appear in the corner at the 4 minute saying grab your coat and head for the aisle ?

In a heartbeat
Until people realize this means they are going to move further from the court. In many cases, move from the 1st level to the 3rd level, or from the 2nd level to the 3rd level (I expect the second level on the basketball side is going to be taken from private boxes) Or get moved from center court on the 3rd level to somewhere near the baseline on the 3rd level.

When that happens, there is going to be a firestorm of controversy.

Until people realize this means they are going to move further from the court. In many cases, move from the 1st level to the 3rd level, or from the 2nd level to the 3rd level (I expect the second level on the basketball side is going to be taken from private boxes) Or get moved from center court on the 3rd level to somewhere near the baseline on the 3rd level.

Couldn’t some of the overflow for basketball be accommodated by expanding the size of the temporary stands?

But you are right. People are going to get moved and that will suck. But the rows are way too tight. They should at least take 2 seats out of every row. Sitting sideways or leaning forward all game sucks too. We will be sardines on 2/23.

Couldn’t some of the overflow for basketball be accommodated by expanding the size of the temporary stands?

But you are right. People are going to get moved and that will suck. But the rows are way too tight. They should at least take 2 seats out of every row. Sitting sideways or leaning forward all game sucks too. We will be sardines on 2/23.
I don't think they can easily expand the size of the temporary stands. For mega games like Duke, they sell tickets in the far end zone on the third level. If they made the temporary seats higher, it would affect the view from those seats. Of course, mega games don't happen that often. The bigger problem is finding a quick way of erecting said stands. There are continuous setups and break downs going from the full field football-lacrosse setup to the basketball setup. Adding temporary stands that have to be built over and over would complicate an already complicated setup that often leaves almost no time to get in place.

If they leave the 200 level alone and just replace benches with individual seats, it will be easier to do. Reducing capacity from around 49K to around 44K implies a loss of about 10.2% of the existing seat locations.

The impact on football would be minimal. We don't have a huge season ticket base to deal with and there are lots of good seats available today to move people to.

For basketball, this would be a major impact. You could take the student seats on the lower level and give them an expanded block of 3rd level tickets, which might minimize the short term bottom line impact on big money season ticket holders but there are already problems getting students to games, the university is very committed to ensuing students are taken care of with tickets to basketball and football and the visual impact on tv and impact on the home court advantage would be major if this was done.

So around 10% of the season ticket holders (probably more because the student sections will probably be untouched (on the first level are going to move up to the 2nd or 3rd level, and around 20% of the season ticket holders on the 2nd level will move up to the 3rd level (the 10% that have to move because of the decrease in seats available on the 2nd level + the 10% of 1st level people migrating up).

In reality, 90% of the season ticket holders will be affected on the 1st level and 100% of the season ticket holders on the 2nd and third levels. My guess is people on the 3rd level can expect to move a section or two further from mid court almost across the board, as the university will give first choice to the season ticket holders who spend the most on their tickets.

It is going to be a really big deal. It is one of the reasons I would love to see a concourse added to the top of the third level, with some seats added above the ones at the top of the third level, by taking out the existing exterior wall and taking advantage of the space available up there. Call them 400 level seats.

This would cost money and adding seats makes no sense for football today. But for basketball, it does. Add them only on the west end of the stadium initially but leave room to do an expansion around the entire third level down the line, if need be. If there is a concourse at the top of the 300 level, with concessions, bathrooms , elevators and escalators, people will gladly buy those tickets. They would be excellent seats. This would require losing the scoreboard in the endzone but we are going to hvae a fabulous scoreboard hanging from the roof, so why not take advantage of the space we have available?

UK is replacing some bench seating with seats with backs. That is a big part of the capacity reduction. Would SU fans support that in the Dome?
I think they’re going to have to.

Damn right there will be a firestorm.

people should stop being such nerds. go to the game, talk to people around you and have more fun

people should stop being such nerds. go to the game, talk to people around you and have more fun

I'm referring more to games like the Super Bowl or a Game 7 where normal people can't attend but would want to experience the reality of.

I don't think they can easily expand the size of the temporary stands. For mega games like Duke, they sell tickets in the far end zone on the third level. If they made the temporary seats higher, it would affect the view from those seats. Of course, mega games don't happen that often. The bigger problem is finding a quick way of erecting said stands. There are continuous setups and break downs going from the full field football-lacrosse setup to the basketball setup. Adding temporary stands that have to be built over and over would complicate an already complicated setup that often leaves almost no time to get in place.

If they leave the 200 level alone and just replace benches with individual seats, it will be easier to do. Reducing capacity from around 49K to around 44K implies a loss of about 10.2% of the existing seat locations.

The impact on football would be minimal. We don't have a huge season ticket base to deal with and there are lots of good seats available today to move people to.

For basketball, this would be a major impact. You could take the student seats on the lower level and give them an expanded block of 3rd level tickets, which might minimize the short term bottom line impact on big money season ticket holders but there are already problems getting students to games, the university is very committed to ensuing students are taken care of with tickets to basketball and football and the visual impact on tv and impact on the home court advantage would be major if this was done.

So around 10% of the season ticket holders (probably more because the student sections will probably be untouched (on the first level are going to move up to the 2nd or 3rd level, and around 20% of the season ticket holders on the 2nd level will move up to the 3rd level (the 10% that have to move because of the decrease in seats available on the 2nd level + the 10% of 1st level people migrating up).

In reality, 90% of the season ticket holders will be affected on the 1st level and 100% of the season ticket holders on the 2nd and third levels. My guess is people on the 3rd level can expect to move a section or two further from mid court almost across the board, as the university will give first choice to the season ticket holders who spend the most on their tickets.

It is going to be a really big deal. It is one of the reasons I would love to see a concourse added to the top of the third level, with some seats added above the ones at the top of the third level, by taking out the existing exterior wall and taking advantage of the space available up there. Call them 400 level seats.

This would cost money and adding seats makes no sense for football today. But for basketball, it does. Add them only on the west end of the stadium initially but leave room to do an expansion around the entire third level down the line, if need be. If there is a concourse at the top of the 300 level, with concessions, bathrooms , elevators and escalators, people will gladly buy those tickets. They would be excellent seats. This would require losing the scoreboard in the endzone but we are going to hvae a fabulous scoreboard hanging from the roof, so why not take advantage of the space we have available?

Good points. I’m in the back row of the temporary stands and I would be really disappointed to be displaced. But I will support anything that modernizes the Dome or makes it more comfortable.

Tom, I gave you a like because of all the time you took to write so thoroughly on this subject. But I am having a hard time with your explanation! There are two issues for fans (at LEAST two!) in terms of comfort: being packed in, and sitting on a hard bench with NO BACK. I sit in 309 and pay for the stadium seats and they are very helpful. What about the idea of installing a comfortable bench with a comfortable back? That wouldn’t help the sardine problem but it would help with the back/butt misery.

I like the idea of adding another concourse, which would jut over some of 311, 312, 313 (something like that). Is that just your pipe dream or is someone with power thinking about this? If the former, you should speak with the latter!

By the way, when is this going to begin? After LaCrosse season?

Thank you, Tom!

Love Rupp Arena that is a great place to watch a game. Its great because it completely predates luxury seating and was designed to make every seat as good as possbile. Its huge and all the seats are good think Ralph Wilson. Its no surprise UK is reducing they did it at the Ralph its probably hard to get big prices with that many extra seats. I don't think their tickets are cheap. Louisvilles aren't either.

I don't know how the state of Kentucky supports both teams as well. Louisville's arena is legit nicer than anything in the NBA. I've been to a couple other new ones like Nebraska and Oregon and KFC Yum is on a different level than them.

Louisville's arena is legit nicer than anything in the NBA. I've been to a couple other new ones like Nebraska and Oregon and KFC Yum is on a different level than them.

I went to the Super Bowl last week at Mercedes Benz Stadium here in Atlanta. It’s definitely the nicest stadium I’ve ever been in for any sport. I’ve heard the YUM center is amazing. The Atlanta Hawks play in the renovated State Farm Arena which is pretty nice. The Braves have a great new stadium too, SunTrust Park. Can’t believe the Falcons and Braves got new stadiums after only 20-25 years but I guess that’s the lifespan these days.